A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: seashells  (Read 2904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

djsemira
« on: April 29, 2009 07:14:36 PM »

any idea what to do with seashells?  i'm having a hard time making holes in them for jewlery...any other uses?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2619558033118165654
Have a look at my documentary about climate change and what people do to alleviate climate change.  won 2nd prize  Earthvisions '98 filmfest, Santa Cruz
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009 10:34:06 AM »

They're good for making collages, glueing on picture frames and boxes, and making mosaics. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 62 done
lizard4me2

'taking dreams and wrapping them in reality'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009 05:54:55 PM »

be sure and keep the part of the shell you're drilling under water--the dust is not good for your lungs!

if you have a couple that are approx the same size and shape, glue a strip of material or leather along the shortest part of the shells--have the curved shapes facing each other---and you can make little 'trinket' boxes from them!

i bought a sea shell mobile when in galveston---and all it was (other than way over priced! )  was a wooden round dowel approx 18 to 24 inches long--with 5 holes drilled through--evenly spaced--then various sea shells were strung from nylon thread/fishing line to create hanging mobil---the center hole was used for the hanging loop which was also from fishing line---

it was really pretty--the shells were just wrapped a time or two with the fishing line, knotted, and the end used to add another one---5 long pieces of fishing line---approx 18-20 shells--one wooden dowel----paid over $40 for it---but i wanted it for my sister who really loved it!  and that way i could check out how it was constructed! LOL!!  am going to make her another one, and she is hanging it in the window
Smiley theresa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TCinTX
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009 09:18:14 AM »

I think they're pretty just displayed in a clear glass vase or jar!

If you can't drill holes to make jewelry, have you tried wrapping wire around part of the shell, and then attaching a cord or chain?

Christmas ornaments?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjhamel
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009 03:31:19 PM »

If you are just picking up random shells off the beach or something, most of them have holes in them. At least most of the ones I find do.
For the ones that don't, you can hot glue them picture frames for a decorative touch, hot glue small ones to bobby pins to make hair accessories, and/or hot glue them to pins to wear as buttons or pin onto bags/throw pillows.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will happily do personal swaps for beads, buttons, and fat quarters!

My Pinterest
djsemira
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009 07:26:22 PM »

thanks for the great suggestions.  i'm using a dremel to make holes, but it's not working, anyone know with what to make the holes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2619558033118165654
Have a look at my documentary about climate change and what people do to alleviate climate change.  won 2nd prize  Earthvisions '98 filmfest, Santa Cruz
lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009 07:49:55 AM »

use a power drill with small bit, but like the above poster said, keep the shell in water, and use a cordless drill. I am sure if you don't have one you know someone who does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
TallTeenTurtle
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009 09:03:47 PM »

How big are the shells? If they are bigger you could fill them with wax make candles with them. Other uses could be...

to decorate a box, flowerpot or pencil holder

Make textures with paint or clay

put them in your garden

glue them to a headband

keep them in a glass jar. Would a light blue one look nice? With some beach sand.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009 06:40:19 PM »

MAKING HOLES:

Use a diamond-tip bit and commercial drilling lubricant. LOTS of lubricant. You can drill through glass using just those two items, and the lube keeps the dust down (cuz silica dust is even nastier than calcium dust!). Use even, steady pressure, not too fast or too slow, and use a piece of wood clamped to a table as your drilling surface. You may even want to pad a small wood-clamp to clamp the shell onto the piece of wood. You'll figure it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

living4mydyingwish
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009 01:51:22 AM »

I took a trip to California a few years ago and collected all kinds of shells and took a ton of pictures too.  When I got back I used the pix and the shells along with tissue paper, ribbon, and glitter to decoupage a tin box for all my nail polish bottles.  I love it and every time I paint my nails (which is at least once a week) I smile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chris Matthews on His New Book Tip and the Gipper
Visiting Quiet Dell with Jayne Anne Phillips
Chris Matthews on Politics and His Book Tip and the Gipper
Debora Spar LIVE
Top 10 Romeo and Juliet Trivia
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...