A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ReadyMade call for submissions  (Read 17193 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ursonate

I assure you, I am not a llama.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2004 08:07:39 AM »

If you actually read the magazine there are more than just project articles in there, so it's best to actually contact them and find out what their editorial schedule is before making any assumptions (that is if you actually do want to write).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marmalade bombs

professional heartbreakers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2004 06:45:10 AM »

feh. anyone but me notice that the number of articles has doubled and the number of projects has been cut in half ever since they went mainstream? i used to have to drive an hour to find it in this one tiny bookstore in asheville, nc but now i can get it at the local walmarts. anybody think that's weird? the cardstock of the cover isn't as cool either...(yeah that sounds weird. i'm a cardstock snob.)

not to say that i don't still love it. i just want more projects and less pointless and boring "backyard drunken olympics" crap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LONG LIVE NANNY B.!

i heart myspace!
http://www.myspace.com/fizz_fizz_bang

i sew, make collages, make mix cds, make home improvements, latch hook, make jewelry, paint, and am in school for interior design. i wanna learn how to knit!
kneesocky
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2004 02:16:36 PM »

i can only find copies of readymade when i go home to visit the u.s. whenever i bring it back here, everyone is amazed. when i was referring to the 'mostly projects' thing it was based on the knowledge that there is little to do with the theoretical aspect of this whole craft thing and more 'backyard olympics' type stuff. lately i've been dorking out rather than actually making stuff. lately it's been more interesting for me to see why people are creating so much these days rather than doing more than passively following patterns and knitting boring squares for an afghan.

as for the whole wal-mart thing, i understand your point, but would also hope that it would possibly convert kids into doing cooler stuff rather than reading mags on who's dating who or what games are the bloodiest. but then again, reading what i've read online from the eds from before they were going to launch, i'm not surprised. not to be negative, but it being at wal-mart is in no way a shock...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.craftivism.com: wee, yet mighty!
Decorate Now

www.DecorateNowPatterns.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2004 07:57:55 AM »

Re:  copyright

You can't copyright a craft idea.  BUT you can copyright the form that you created.   So, for example, when you write out the instructions, those instructions are your original work and are copyrighted.  People shouldn't scan in the article and post it or photocopy the article and pass it around.  That is a violation of the copyright.   Artwork is copyrighted--so you can't mass produce someone else's artwork.  And sometimes you can't take a photo of it and print it without permission. 

Information isn't copyrighted.  So you can read about a whole bunch of different ways to do something, then write your own instructions or make your own craft. 

I like to compare it to apple pie recipes.  There are 2 million apple pie recipes out there.  You can't copyright an apple pie.  BUT if someone takes your exact apple pie wording on your recipe and reprints it without permission or submits it as their own recipe, then they have violated your copyright.

If you do your own work in making your product/instructions/craft, then you are usually safe.   If you take someone else's photo and change it a bit, or if you rewrite someone else's instructions, or if you begin with someone else's product and just alter it, then you are usually in trouble.

So that is one way to determine if you are violating someone's copyright.

Also, with the magazines' I've dealt with, they ask if the piece has been published anywhere else previously--including online.  So I'd suggest posting excerpts for critique, but not the whole article. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Decorate Now

www.DecorateNowPatterns.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2004 08:38:26 AM »

One more bit to add: 

Patents cover manufacturing processes or products that are new inventions.  A patent only covers a few years, and after that once the patent expires, if the competiton can figure out how you make something, then they can make it too, as long as they don't copy your ads/label wording/etc--which would violate your copyright on those materials.   (For example, Tylenol had a patent, then it expired and all the generics came on the market.  The generics can copy the product all they want after the patent expiration period, as long as they come up with their own marketing materials to do so.)

So the actual articles in magazines are copyrighted.  The ideas in the articles aren't.   And the items you make from the articles aren't patented, as the majority of the time it isn't a new manufacturing technique or newly invented product.

For a product to be patented, it must not be something that someone in that field could have easily figured out by themselves.  It needs to be new and inventive. 

For more info, read the patent site:
www.uspto.gov

(p.s.  Above info gathered from reading the patent and copyright sites, due to needing to know for my biz)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
pipu

pipu said "peep!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2004 08:49:42 AM »

I've had a project in ReadyMade (well, the group I used to work with did):  the DIY drive-in movie theatre.  The piece was sort of halfway between one of RM's mini-features and a project.  They came out to our site and had us set it up so they could take pictures.  We gave RM a diagram of how to hook the whole thing up, and a couple of our members gave short interviews.  The people whose photos were published had to sign release forms, but we were never asked to sign any kind of exclusivity contract or copyright waiver (not that we could have, since as Decorate Now pointed out, you can't copyright an idea).  We also weren't paid anything, but did get some exposure for our project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovegenewilder
chair pirate yo!

harry potter release party.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2004 05:10:04 PM »

A few months ago i wrote a pointless email to Readymade praising the HOT TODDY article that appears in each issue. I recently found out that Todd Oldham went to my high school!!! (Which is, by the way, in a tiny hole-in-the-wall city in Texas.) I pretty much rambled on about it (just like i am right now...).

I admit that this is completely irrelevant to the topic, but to be honest I really just like saying I go to Todd Oldham's former high school...oooohhh.
Maybe one day I'll come up with something cool enough to submit to Readymade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I write songs!!! http://www.myspace.com/myfutureself

please listen =]
sadielouwho
It's no wonder; woman!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2004 04:15:48 PM »

I'm not sure how great the 'zine is but the forums lag compared to this one. I just went over there and cruised around. Didn't see nuttin'.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Nice nurses's outfit."
"These are O.R. scrubs."
"O-R-they?"
Pixiefart

Im a blue footed booby

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2004 09:57:39 PM »

ReadyMade is one of the best mags around. They have truely wonderful ideas for projects. I really do love to learn about the many different crafty folks, who come up with wild and wonderful projects. Readymade has a base in the bay area, I have to say im very proud of this crafty cool area.. Maybe one day i will submit something cool. Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One should either be a work of art or wear a work of art.
xoxpiratelovexox

free love on the free love freeway...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2005 06:02:12 PM »

i love ready made. i have been reading it basically since the second issue. i admit that some issues are not the best...especially since they have gone from quarterly to bi monthly. you cannot really expect them to always be the tops. but still. i really enjoy it and look forward to the new issues coming out. i really love hdygtfaj....they did it over jamie hyneman from mythbusters...it was awesome....in the newest issues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the love is free and the freeway's long. I got some hot love on the hot love freeway. I ain't going home cause my babies gone.
'she's deaad'
she's not dead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
To Frack or Not To Frack: Russell Gold
The Sound by Sarah Alderson
The Science of What Makes Things Funny
This Side of Salvation by Jeri Smith-Ready
The Rise of Jazz Age Manhattan
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...