A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Headboard Tutorial  (Read 3994 times)
Tags for this thread: headboard , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rosella

Where there's a will, there's a way!

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2005 10:47:40 AM »

This is a headboard I made, I saw something like it being made on Oprah and decided to make one of my own.  It attaches to a basic bed frame.
1. Cut piece of plywood to fit bed, ask your hardware store nicely and they will do it for you.  Mine is the width of a queen size bed, the height goes from the floor to about 30" above the matress, and the plywood itself is about 1" thick.  Its really personal prefferance how high you want the headboard, and it doesn't have to touch the ground it just makes it easier for attatching so you don't have to hold it up.
2. Drill holes to line up with bed frame.  The back of your bed frame will have holes for this purpose.  You will need long screws and nuts for attaching later (see picture).
3. Apply roll out batting (its stuffing that is flat and comes in rolls) and staple it to headboard as you go until you reach the desired puffiness for your headboard.  I rolled it on front mostly and a little on back so it didn't look like it was just wood underneath.
4. Get enough material (maybe 6 yards or so, and get an uphoslteryish type of material, I found mine in the walmart $1/yard section, its sort of canvas like, get a 60" width or so) to cover.  I  folded the material over the top, so that about 30" draped over each side, front and back.  Cut it so that you have a little over 3" on each end to work with.  Start on one end and staple the material under (staple the back to the front, leaving the front flap of material to fold over later and secure with upholstery nails.)  Do the other side the same way, tightening so that it is firm.  Now the back should be securley attached.
5.  For the front edges: I folded the edge under, leaving enough so that it still overlaps and covers the edge, give it a few staples to secure (not too many you don't want them to show), then use the upholstery nails (found at your hardware store) to securely fasten down the sides, evenly space so that they look nice.  I used black and then switched to white.  Finish by doing the other side, make sure it is taught.
6. At the base I applied a strip of black material I think I added it just to cover some of the wood.  Attach it like the above material was attached or use your own creative way.
7. For a decorative finish you can apply the upholstery nails to the headboard in a pattern of your choice, I chose  a diamond shape.
8. Apply the headboard to your bed frame and your done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vintagechick
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005 10:57:16 AM »

That's awesome!  I've been wanting to make a headboard like this for a long time, but haven't gotten around to it.  Thanks for the instructions!  How long did it take you from start to finish?  Can you post a pic of what it looks like on your bed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosella

Where there's a will, there's a way!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005 10:06:04 PM »

It took me one evening to do, but I'm really stubborn and do not stop until I'm finished.  Unfortunatley I don't think I have a picture of it on my bed, we upgraded to a King size, so the headboard sits in my basement now );  .... just imagine it only showing the tan part, I think the height of it made it look like an expensive headboard.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Do Halloween Hair
The Monday Makeover - The Braided Updo Tutorial
Straight Hair Without a Flat Iron
How to Do a Modern 1950s Poodle Hairstyle
Ashley Greene Goes Blonde
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...