A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,567
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 392
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Show off your hair! And questions about hair styles!  (Read 501908 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2500 on: June 17, 2006 01:06:36 PM »

I'm doing an experiment with my hair at the moment. Meine mutter and I found an article in The Times in which Matthew Parris said that shampoos and conditioners are a big con because:

1. You use the products and they get rid of all the natural oils in your hair.
2. Your body thinks your hair and scalp are too dry so it produces lots of excess oils to fix it.
3. Your hair gets greasy again because of these excess oils, so you have to use the shampoo and conditioner again.

Well, we didn't know if this was true but it sounded plausible, so we thought we'd test it out. We just washed our hair as often as and in the same way we always did, but only using plain water.
And strangely enough, it actually works.
I always used to brush my hair in the morning and it would look fine for most of the morning, and when I got home in the mid-afternoon it would usually look like some wild creature had nested in it. But now because my scalp's producing just the right amount of grease, my hair isn't too greasy or too dry. As for Mutter, her hair was always very dry (my little sister and her friends used to describe her hair as "an afro") but now it stays in the same style she brushes it into for the whole day and it looks much shinier than before.

One thing I would say to anyone who wants to try this is that for the first couple of weeks your hair will be a lot greasier than usual. Your scalp's used to having the oils taken out of it so it'll keep producing a lot of grease for a short while. Since I'm in my late teens, my skin produces a lot of oils anyway so it took more like two and a half to three weeks for my scalp to settle down. (In that time I just brushed it a bit more often than usual so that the grease went down the length of my hair and conditioned it all.) But don't let it put you off; considering you'll have great hair afterwards, it's a small price to pay.
Speaking of which, we now save a hell of a lot of money on hair products... Grin
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006 01:40:33 PM by Kuolema Nox » THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2501 on: June 17, 2006 01:22:22 PM »

I actually stopped using hair products on Monday...it had gotten to the point where anything I used was just leaving it flat and oily.

It's not horribly greasy at this point.  I don't look unwashed or anything, my hair just looks a little 'heavier' than usual.  And I've got a colorful collection of bandannas to cover it with if the look bothers me  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2502 on: June 17, 2006 01:35:03 PM »

i dont really wash my hair... ever.. just water... i do wash it after work (i do dishes sometimes in a restaurant) and well, you gotta wash it.. theres like little bits of food and greasey chicken guts in your hair... but other then that i never really shampoo my hair... i find its totally fine... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2503 on: June 17, 2006 01:37:29 PM »

And I've got a colorful collection of bandannas to cover it with if the look bothers me Wink

Hehe, me too! I love dyeing clothes and whenever I'm doing a batch I usually bung a big square of cotton jersey in the bucket with elastic bands all over it and tie-dye it. I've got... at least six by now. Chavs often pull them but I don't care. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: June 17, 2006 02:24:53 PM »

i was listening to the exact same thing on the radio yesterday  Shocked  but im not sure if i should try it i because i bleach my hair and put bright colours in so i sometimes use 3 minute conditioner because i dont want it to go all brittle because of the bleach  ... the good side would be that the colour stays in longer because there are no chemicals washing it out! so i dunno what i should do, if i used the conditioner every once in a while it might reverse everything? anyone help me out with this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KeenKitty
Accident free since...what time is it?

Because everyone loves a muppet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2505 on: June 17, 2006 03:19:58 PM »

I've actually heard that too if you stop using shampoo your hair returns to its normal glossy beautifulness.

But then again I DO still use clear Henna with Black tea and olive oil once a month unter a heat lamp.

My hait always looks so nice and is so light and shiney for weeks after I do it!

I only wash my hair once a week now and it is with Jason super mousturizing shampoo with no sulfites or lathering agents.

and I use like 1 drop and just on my scalp after I brush the oil down into my roots.

I dunno, everyone says my hair is pretty   Undecided  I just like the smell of the Hemp Shampoo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KeenKitty
Accident free since...what time is it?

Because everyone loves a muppet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2506 on: June 17, 2006 03:53:02 PM »

my head post henna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wittyandcreativex
« Reply #2507 on: June 17, 2006 08:58:05 PM »

wowowowow keenkitty. your hair came out GORGEOUS! that color is so pretty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oh my squash!
frogsrock
« Reply #2508 on: June 17, 2006 10:06:35 PM »

my friend doesnt use shampoo, only conditioner
she goes on www.longhaircommunity.com and learned about it from there

her hair looks nice and clean Smiley

*fixed the link its community not forum... duh*
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006 05:58:34 PM by frogsrock » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkkittypiper
Bead Junkie

Can't cut a straight line to save my life...

View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: June 17, 2006 10:58:57 PM »

I only wash my hair once a week now and it is with Jason super mousturizing shampoo with no sulfites or lathering agents.

I didn't know shampoo and other hair products had sulfites/sulphites in them.  I am allergic to them, but I am not sure if I would have a reaction unless I actually ingested it though - but a good thing to know - thanks for the heads up KeenKitty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where the wild things are is where I am most at home!
Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!!!
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pinkkittypiper
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 392 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lior Lev Secarez: Serving Innovation
Cuban Sandwiches: Use Your Leftover Pork Roast
How to Make Delicious Burgers
How to Make Donuts
How to Make Pete’s ‘Combo’ Pizza
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...