A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 392
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Show off your hair! And questions about hair styles!  (Read 490299 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3830 on: March 29, 2007 03:47:17 PM »

Butterfly Grl - maybe yer mum's just not used to seeing a darker shade on you, but I personally think it rocks. You have a lot of pink undertones in your skin, and the darker red really pulls them out, which flushes you beautifully - your cheeks look live you've just been out in the snow for a quick jaunt....and that blue is AMAZING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3831 on: March 29, 2007 04:11:54 PM »

I bleached highlights into my hair after dying it dark red!

Originally I was just bleaching so I could put in purple/blue streaks, but after washing the bleach out I thought "omg!  orange!  i look like a fire!" and thus decided to keep it for at least a while.

I did foils on myself... which, I found out, is pretty difficult.  I recommend getting a friend to help you if you do them.

Anyway... pictures!

The second one shows the color better... but the orange looks a bit dark.  There are three or four different shades of it, some almost yellow.

I may eventually re-bleach some of the orange to lighten it more so I can do the purple.  I tried a strand test on the orange, and it came out icky swamp green.  So I suppose further lightening is necessary.

Stuff used:
-Feria Brilliant Bordeaux (dark red/brown)
-Loreal Chunking highlight kit (I threw away the cap and used foils instead.. they make it easier to see where you're putting the color)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Spazzy
« Reply #3832 on: March 29, 2007 05:34:36 PM »

Ok I did a search and couldn't find what I'm looking for and I certainly don't have time to read 385 pages (WOW!)... so hopefully someone here can help me.

I have naturally medium-dark brown hair that I dyed black a couple months ago.  I really like the black and have redone it to cover my roots once.  It's nearly impossible to get all the dye out it seems like.  I rinsed for an hour once and it was still washing out my next 3 showers!  I feel like it's kinda fried my hair from having that dye in it not totally rinsed out for so long.  I also found out (while the dye was on my head) that I am going to have to chemically strip it to make it un-black (I know un-black isn't a word..), is that really true?  What can I do to make it brown again?  Someone please help, I just don't want to damage it anymore, I have so much of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://delainie.etsy.com -- Life is too short to be uncomfortable!

the sun is up, the sky is green, wishin my life could be just a dream --Greensky Bluegrass
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3833 on: March 29, 2007 05:50:14 PM »

Wow.  What kind of crazy dye did you use?
It's more likely that you washed all the actual "dye" out the first time, but shampooing any color a lot is going to make it fade more quickly.
Did you use semi-permanent or permanent color?  If it's semi, you can probably wait until the color mostly fades out, then dye over it with a brown.
But what you heard was right about permanent colors, if you want it totally out you have the option to either let it grow or bleach/strip and re-color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spazzy
« Reply #3834 on: March 29, 2007 06:13:35 PM »

I just used some at home stuff, L'Oreal or something.  Nothing crazy.  And not Feria since I heard bad things about that so much.  I didn't however use the same kind both times I dyed it.  Just seemed like it lost a ton of color everytime I shampooed for nearly a week each time I did it.  Both were permanent.  It's not fading or looking more brown at all (except my awful roots of course) just looking more dull everyday.  It's been about 6 weeks since I dyed it last I think.

I checked out the L'Oreal website and it says you can use the ColorSpa Moisture Actif in Espresso on black hair, has anyone tried this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the sun is up, the sky is green, wishin my life could be just a dream --Greensky Bluegrass
burstandbloom
« Reply #3835 on: March 29, 2007 08:13:05 PM »

i used this crazy fuschia dye...and it was still bleeding pink from my hair two whole weeks after i dyed it. it's just because the dye was so intense though (i use the gel kind) but yah...it didnt seem to have any extra adverse effects from the dye being in there so much
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3836 on: March 29, 2007 08:56:10 PM »

I just used some at home stuff, L'Oreal or something.  Nothing crazy.  And not Feria since I heard bad things about that so much.  I didn't however use the same kind both times I dyed it.  Just seemed like it lost a ton of color everytime I shampooed for nearly a week each time I did it.  Both were permanent.  It's not fading or looking more brown at all (except my awful roots of course) just looking more dull everyday.  It's been about 6 weeks since I dyed it last I think.

I checked out the L'Oreal website and it says you can use the ColorSpa Moisture Actif in Espresso on black hair, has anyone tried this?

I still think that's weird.  I've used a lot of different Loreal products and never had a problem with it.  And you were right not to use Feria blacks--they suck.

If it's been 6 weeks, the color's about as faded as it's going to get.  It's time to either wear a hat for months until the roots grow enough that you can cut off the dyed parts, or attempt to cover.

Colors that say "for black/dark hair" on them contain some kind of lightener (peroxide etc) in addition to the dye, so you'd essentially be doing the same thing as bleaching then dying.
Bleach won't kill your hair as long as you take care of it well.  Condition your hair A LOT for a week or so, bleach, and then make sure to condition every single day after that.  Use a product specifically for color-treated hair and try not to heat-style.  Give your hair a few days to get back to normal after the bleach, then color with semi-permanent dye.

Of course, you can go to a stylist  for "restoration" treatments if you don't want to DIY.  They'll probably do something a lot like what I described.

There's a product called colorfix I just found today, I've never used it but it appears to have some wildly unpredictable results.  Here's the journal of someone who's tried it:
http://vebelfetzer.livejournal.com/1415649.html?mode=reply
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spazzy
« Reply #3837 on: March 30, 2007 11:30:36 AM »

Thanks for your help Jillie!  I think I'm going to try the L'Oreal ColorSpa Moisture Actif stuff in the next couple days.  Sounds more reasonable than wearing a hat till I can cut off the dyed parts since my roots are less than an inch long and my hair is way too long, I'd be wearing a hat for 10 yrs or shaving my head. 

I'm afraid of bleaching it because I don't want it orange and that's the only result I ever got from bleach in the past.

That Colorfix idea scares me, I don't want such unpredictable results!  If all else fails I'll just dye it black again, since I like it, I just don't like the upkeep.  I'll post pics of the results if I don't end up bald .. or hey maybe even then, I always wanted to shave my head, my husband just hates the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3838 on: March 30, 2007 12:00:57 PM »

Definitely do a STRAND TEST before you bleach!
It shows you how long you need to leave the bleach on, and will show if it's going to fry your hair.
Usually if bleaching makes your hair turn orange, you didn't leave it on long enough.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daiconharuko
Daikon Eklectik

this daikon is eklectik

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3839 on: March 30, 2007 12:11:03 PM »

Ok I did a search and couldn't find what I'm looking for and I certainly don't have time to read 385 pages (WOW!)... so hopefully someone here can help me.

I have naturally medium-dark brown hair that I dyed black a couple months ago.  I really like the black and have redone it to cover my roots once.  It's nearly impossible to get all the dye out it seems like.  I rinsed for an hour once and it was still washing out my next 3 showers!  I feel like it's kinda fried my hair from having that dye in it not totally rinsed out for so long.  I also found out (while the dye was on my head) that I am going to have to chemically strip it to make it un-black (I know un-black isn't a word..), is that really true?  What can I do to make it brown again?  Someone please help, I just don't want to damage it anymore, I have so much of it!

I manage a beauty supply and I have these kind of questions every day. I'm not really familiar with the stuff they sell in boxes (as we sell everything seperate) but maybe I can help somewhat.

Most dark colors will still rinse out after several washings. You don't still have dye in your hair, it's just the excess color fading out. Some colors have extreme base colors, and the base color will tend to fade out right away... which is why sometimes you'll dye your hair a brilliant blue-black only to have it bleed blue for a few days and turn into a basic black color.

But anyway, if your color is bleeding when you wash your hair, that's pretty normal. Most instructions will tell you to wash your hair until the water runs clear, but that's pretty impossible with most colors.. even with non-temporary color.

As for color corrective services, you do have to use a hair color remover to take out black dye. If you bleach it or use colorfix you're still going to get an orange result. That's because the underlying target color of black is orange. BUT, if you can get a professional who is not afraid to do the service for you, then it's no problem. Effisol (sp) is a professional product that works really well in removing dye. It's like colorfix, but it can only be used by a cosmotologist.

I've never really got good results from using box dyes in the first place. If you're lucky, the black might fade out more over time. Box dyes you buy at a drug store are not professional and tend to fade more than professional dyes. If you're worried about damage, your best bet would be to use a semi or demi permanent color. They are "deposit only" as all permanent colors "lift and deposit".

ETA: L'Oreal Color Zap works way better than colorfix. It's basically Effisol without being so... strong.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007 03:49:09 PM by daiconharuko » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 392 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Interview With Simon Day at Laugharne Festival 2012
Blair Underwood on South by Southeast
Photoshoot for South by Southeast Book Cover with Blair Underwood
What John Irving Thinks of Mark Twain
Nell Stephenson on the Benefits of the Paleo Diet
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...