A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 392
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Show off your hair! And questions about hair styles!  (Read 498894 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #3420 on: December 12, 2006 08:07:26 PM »

talihina_sky - you are so very lovely with blonde hair. but i think certain people just can't pull it off. i know for sure i can't and i will never try. but i don't think that was what you were talking about. lol it was just about the eye brow thing and that whole shebang so yea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
ohthe_drama
« Reply #3421 on: December 12, 2006 09:03:51 PM »

sorry if this has already been asked... i didn't want to sift through all 340-some pages (yikes!) of this thread. i did a search, but couldn't come up with anything.

aaaaannnyways, right now my hair shape is kind of like this:

except a little shorter. that's about how long the layered side-bang thing is.

i want it to look more like ths:

of course not that extreme... just the bang part, where it goes over her face like that. but my hair is extremely stubborn... and i can't very well just flip my side bang thing over to make it go in my face... if you can actually understand what i'm saying.

i assume i have to go to a hairdresser and get it cut specially or something, but i was wondering if there's any way i can avoid cutting my hair (i'm growing it out for locks of love) and make it look less dull with a face-covering bang. sorry for being uberly confusing. Cheesy

OH, and, just so that you don't get mad for me only asking a question...

if you're looking for good pictures of hairstyles, hairfiles on photobucket (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v480/hairfiles/) is the most amazing place EVER.

thanks for bearing with me. :]]]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: December 13, 2006 04:20:57 AM »

talihina_sky, I love your bone structure!  GAH... jealous.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
liakins
« Reply #3423 on: December 13, 2006 06:00:30 AM »

gosh i'm running thru these pages and the ideas are endless yet being the indecisive bum tht i am i have no idea wht to do!! HELP!
i have long hair (midway down my back) and since i straightened it ages ago now its grown out bout 6 inches (and looking like crap might i add) i want to cut it super short...to get rid of all the icky damaged straigtened hair...
btw..i dnt knw how to put in a pic here.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*sigh* trying to get my life on track
jennique
« Reply #3424 on: December 13, 2006 10:51:50 AM »

Firstly to liakins, to put a picture on here when you are making a reply there is a little button that looks like a picture in a frame. Its between the red cicle and the globe, and below 'Change Color'. You put the URL of the image in between the img tags. EXAMPLE (img) URL RIGHT HERE (/img). Or you can just put the url and we can click it to go see your picture.

Now onto me... I was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys and I hope Im not asking too much but you guys rock!! Cheesy

I am getting my hair cut on December 19th and I had a cut picked out and now I don't want it anymore. I need to decide what I want to do pretty soon. I thought about just asking my hair dresser to wing it but I am going to a new guy because my stylist is on maternity leave and a) I don't know if I want to trust him to do whatever he feels like to my hair, and b) I feel like I would be very rude to go in there without a plan and put it all on him.

My hair is naturally wavy, its not too thick or too thin, and pretty versatile. It straightens super easy, without any products or much trouble, and curls equally as easy as well. I wanted a cut that would benefit both aspect of my hair because I like to have it curly sometimes and I also like to have it straight. Right now its a couple of inches below my shoulder in length, with minimal layering. Im not afraid to cut it short but I have a feeling a super short cut wouldn't look good on me. I've also never had bangs since I was about 6 years old so I have no idea what they would look like.

I've looked all over the internet for inspiration, this thread, LJ, hairfiles on photobucket, everything. I just.. don't know. I want something new I'm bored with straight and long. I'd had it one length since I started growing out my dyed hair and I just got some layers put in again recently but it didn't do it for me.

I dont have a lot of pics of me on the computer but I tried my best:
Me
Curly and curly again
Pulled back off my face and different angle.

So I guess my question for those of you who didnt want to read my whole post is:
What kind of cut would benefit both straight and curly hair, and what kind of cut would look good with my face? Also how short do you think I could pull off? I feel like being pretty wild lately with my hair but Im a little hesitant to jump into anything without a good idea of what I want and what will look good on me. Thanks for reading this long ass post even if you can't help.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006 11:10:45 AM by jennique » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~jenny
br0ken_11
« Reply #3425 on: December 13, 2006 02:27:48 PM »

I'm kind of interested in cutting my hair.  I've TRIMMED it, but that's about it.  I'm only armed with a pair of feathering scissors.  Will I need somethings other than that?  I really don't want to be spending loads on scissors; I've seen the prices on some of 'em.  Also, any ideas on how to do a good job on the back?  It might sound dumb, but I can scarecly use a flat iron on the back, let alone take a scissors to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can tell by the state of my room that they let me out to soon,
and that the pills that i ate came a couple days too late...

//Dresden Dolls x
Morning Star
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

feel my chest when i look at you, baby you, you got my only heart.

suppose i said, you're my saving grace?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3426 on: December 13, 2006 07:36:37 PM »

I'm kind of interested in cutting my hair.  I've TRIMMED it, but that's about it.  I'm only armed with a pair of feathering scissors.  Will I need somethings other than that?  I really don't want to be spending loads on scissors; I've seen the prices on some of 'em.  Also, any ideas on how to do a good job on the back?  It might sound dumb, but I can scarecly use a flat iron on the back, let alone take a scissors to it.

then i wouldn't suggest doing the back yourself. maybe get someone you trust to do it if you don't want to go to a pro.

but, if you're really set on doing it yourself, then maybe part your hair all the way down the middle, and bring the bottom of your hair forward, and maybe trim it that way?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-mayor west?
-how do you know my language?

i made an info blog for my swap partners.
http://mon-seul.livejournal.com/

i now have a wist list!

www.wists.com/morningstar
Mezzi
Almost Cool

Use your *imagination*

View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: December 14, 2006 12:54:12 PM »

then i wouldn't suggest doing the back yourself. maybe get someone you trust to do it if you don't want to go to a pro.

but, if you're really set on doing it yourself, then maybe part your hair all the way down the middle, and bring the bottom of your hair forward, and maybe trim it that way?

I wouldn't recommend doing it that way. I've cut my hair a bunch and I've found the best way is to get a set up of mirrors so you can see yourself cutting your hair in the back. I'm lucky enough to have a medicine cabinet mirror across from a large mirror in my bathroom, it's optimum for haircutting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3428 on: December 14, 2006 01:47:12 PM »

About the scissors, I  just use my sewing scissors.  Make sure they're sharp--the dulled-down ones you use for paper probably won't work well.

I just part the hair in the middle and pull one side over each shoulder.  Just keep checking periodically with a mirror or a friend that each side lines up evenly.
I've self-cut my hair a few times (enough to learn some useful information), so here's some pointers.

Jill's List of Haircutting Tips
1. Start out with the hair either dry or slightly damp.  Stylists cut it wet  because it makes the cut-off hairs clump together and makes things easier to clean up, but I recommend dry because it gives you a better idea of the real length.  You can always just throw a towel on the floor and wash it after you're done.
2. Take your time! Rushing something is NEVER a good idea.  The last thing you want is to accidentally chop a huge piece an inch shorter than all the rest.  Give yourself at least an hour to work.  It probably won't take that long, but you never know, and you don't want to screw up because you started cutting fifteen minutes before you have a date.
3. Pay attention to the part.  If you cut when your hair is parted crooked, the ends will be uneven when you re-part it correctly.  If you're planning on wearing a side part with the style, cut it that way.
4. Have an idea in mind. Look at a picture of what you want.  If you can look at a style someone else has already created, you can see how the part, layers, fringe, etc. should look.
5. Don't try anything too advanced.  If you've never cut your own hair before, it's best to pick a simpler style.  I wouldn't recommend doing layers your first time because then you have two different lengths to keep straight.
6. Get the technique right.  Take a small section of hair (about 1 inch) in between two fingers (like scissors).  With the scissors in your other hand, cut right below the fingers. 
7. Hold the scissors almost perpendicular to the hair-holding fingers and snip tiny sections.  You should only be cutting tiny, tiny pieces at once.  Tons of tiny angled sections looks even when all put together, and you won't have obviously blunt-cut sections.
8. Cut a little longer than you want it to be.  Start off being a little bit "conservative" and get all the hair to the same length.  Unless you're a hair-cutting genius, you will at that point have some parts that are a little longer than the others.  By the time you get done evening it all up, you'll end up close to the length you wanted.
9. Don't be afraid to ask for help!  If you get partially in and feel like you're making a mistake or are in over your head, it's better to ask a friend/professional to finish you up than to end up with a style you really hate.  Hair does grow back, but it can take a long time.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3429 on: December 14, 2006 01:56:04 PM »

Jennique, I think that because of your face shape, you'd look best with longer hair.  Because you have a wider face, longer hair evens it out.
Generally people with narrow faces look better with shorter hair than people with wider faces.  There are exceptions though, and you'll never know for sure what looks good on you until you try it out.

I think that for you, it would be best to stay around shoulder-length for a few reasons.  Other than the face shape thing, you also mentioned that you like to wear it curly, and curly hair can poof out and make your head look like a big triangle if it's too short. 

Maybe go see the stylist before you actually have the cut done and ask him what he would recommend for you.  Then you can take a few days to think about it and look at different pictures before you actually have the cut done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 392 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Outfit of the Day: How a Professional Stylist Styles Herself
Elevator Makeover - Getting a More Flattering and Fit Look for the Office
Chioma Nnadi on Her Summer Denim Trend
Our Top Picks From Isabel Marant for H&M
GQ Fashion Week Report in Milan
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...