A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,057
Currently Running With Scissors:
839 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Laundry Shoot Tutorial  (Read 4995 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rosella

Where there's a will, there's a way!

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2005 09:41:58 AM »

This laundry shoot has come in sooo handy for me and my husband.  I got the idea from my grandparents five story house in the marina of San Francisco.  As a kid we used to send stuff down from the penthouse to the 1st floor.  My husband & I only have a modest 1 srory bungalow, and our laundry is in the center of the basement.  So instead of throwing our laundry down the stairs and enlessly picking up piles, we now have a direct route. ... and its still fun to watch things go down!
1. cut hole in wood floor... I drilled a large hole first with a drill bit, then stuck the jigsaw bit into the hole and continued to cut a rectangle.
2. Use metal flashing (for roofing, sold at home depot or lowe's) to mold to edge of wood, nail in as you go all the way around.  Cut when you overlap a little.  Be sure to go back and smooth out any pieces that your clothes might get caught on with a hammer.
3.  Now I finished mine at the end of step 2, but I would like to do one more thing to ours, and that is to create a door.  Basically cut out a piece of wood that is just slightly larger than the rectangle of the shoot.  Line the edges with metal flashing (for a co-ordinating look!), nail it down with little nails.  Attach 2 hinges to top and then to back of shoot, then a nice nob to top of door for opening.  Sorry I don't have a picture for this step, haven't gotten around to it yet.
Hope this helps!

Veiw from basement:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
pickledkitty
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005 10:19:45 AM »

what an impressive thing to tackle! My parents are in the process of building a house that has a laundry shoot, but we won't have to cut through the wood on the floor, because it will be built around it. How in the world did you build up the courage to cut through your wood floor? I love muscle-ey 'Crafts' that people post on here. Like Welding and such. ;p Good Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amanelle
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005 07:19:59 PM »

Good idea. I hate lugging laundry up and down stairs. Unfortunately I live downstairs and have to go upstairs to do laundry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005 07:25:31 PM »

My parents had one when I was growing up as well!  Now I am totally jealous and just turned to my boyfriend & said, "Honey!! We NEED to cut a hole in our floor!"  I got a funny look.  Tee hee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
anna3LC
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005 07:31:40 PM »

I love these things.  instead of a door you have to bend down to open, what about a bottom-less laundry basket? (i mean hamper)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005 09:30:55 AM by anna3LC » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hyerac
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005 04:33:02 AM »

I love these things.  instead of a door you have to bend down to open, what about a bottom-less laundry basket?

omigod, that is an AWESOME idea!  How fun!

My fam had a laundry chute too - it was great!  (Especially since, at the time, I tossed my laundry down, and it magically appeared, clean again, back in my room!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SKN725
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005 05:30:20 PM »

What A Great Convenience!  I once lived in a house that had a laundry chute cut into the bottom of a bathroom cabinet.  Sooo handy--but I had to be sure to keep a basket full of clothes under it because my daughter decided it was a great way to get the puppy downstairs without carrying him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlegreenbean

I Hope You Dance!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005 09:50:36 PM »

haha my family has a laundry shute but it kind of goes from my parents room to the basement... and that isnt where our laundry machines are... its really odd.  Tongue

I remember when I was little our one of our kitchen cabenets would open up and revieled a big hole in the floor above the  laundry room  on the next floor down.  It was really fun because we would sit on the ground, aim, and throw the laundry directly from the kitchen into the laundry machine Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body."
Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809 - 1894)
stunnedbannana
I love mixed media and all things vintage

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005 11:39:08 PM »

my house has a laundry shoot too. I know the feeling of the laundry magically disapearring and then reappearing clean in the room lol. it is so convenient. ours goes from the top floor to the main floor to the basement. One time when i had friends over they tried to go down there but i told them they wouldnt make it because it was so narrow lol. thanks for the post it made me think of home and awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiquidScissors
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Who would of known

Hank's a bomb. Long story.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005 08:38:41 PM »

aww this brings back childhood memories!  We had a Laundry shoot at my house when i was little, it was built into the wall (we lived in a split level kind of house) and it had a cute little door, and we would, to, play with it contantly (my brothers and I) we'd like talk through it and throw our stuffed animals down in, and more then once they would get stuck and mom had to bust out the broom... ah.... memories....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Is it because you killed a whole bunch of ninjas while it was playing? So now it reminds you of ninjas?"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Ketchup
How to Grill with Woodchips
How to Bake Amish Friendship Bread
In The Kitchen - Halibut
How to barbeque with plank
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...