A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: French basket bag knitalong anyone?  (Read 4059 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kristiface
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2005 08:56:18 AM »

Oh, that bag is soooo cute, Shizzys!  I thought, since I started this thing, I should post my progress (or lack thereof!). 

I've finally picked up the stitches around the edge (I knit the bottom flat) to my satisfaction-- I undid it twice before I liked the way the stitches sat!  Then I tried knitting it in the round, but that was the first time I'd used circs and some how ended up with the stockinet pattern inside for some rows and outside for others.  Don't ask!  So I had to rip AGAIN! 

I was moving for a while, but my complimentary color took longer than it was supposed to to come in.  But it's finally here, and i'm hoping I'll get to work on my bag tonight... and perhaps make some SERIOUS progress Smiley  Can't wait to see others' bags!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
JoHunter
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2005 07:59:27 AM »

Hi everyone, I've just started my FMB today, I'm using a blackish (it has flecks of red and blue) Cascade 220 for my contrasting colour and Rowan Magpie in a chocolate brown for my main colour.  Very dull, yes, but I'm trying to use up what I have in my stash.  I'm doing the bag in the round and it's my first time trying out the magic loop method, which I'm really loving.  I've only tried felting once before but it turned out a mess, but I'm sure I felted it for too long.  Because my washer is a front-loader I'm going to try two hot quick eco washes and wish for the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2005 05:02:06 AM »

I am sooooooooo jelous! I was hoping to start to knitalong and I went to my famous yarn market (remeber I posted about it once) and asked for a 100% wool yarn and heard that it is very hard to fine and toooo expensive to afford, well what is my other options then i said and they pointed the mohair ones and said will felt in the machine and just for 3 bucks/100 gr. I said hmm and as I was short of cash and couldn't think to buy only one as a sample to see, went off to another one, again there was no 100% wool but mohair to felt and this time it was 1 bucks/50gr. I hmmed and hmmmed and thank god bought only one as a sample to see if its felt or not. I came home knitted a sample and throw it to the machine with jeans for 25 minutes, when i took it off it was soften than before and didn't even felt a bit to save my life. But then I remembered that I always wash the jeans on wool-friendly mode in 30 degree (celcius). I said hmmed again and tonight I will throw my swatch into hot hot hot water and try to hand felt it and see!
so the point of this story is don't be so cheap! LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kristiface
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2005 10:50:16 AM »

Woohoo I finally finished my bag!  Instead of doing school work (as I should have been doing yesterday) I pushed through and finally finished this thing!  I'm in love, except for the handles, which I think were too big.  If I do this again I'm going to shorten them by an inch or two. 

Before felting:

After (being blocked on super huge shoe box):

My comments can be found on my blog at http://kristiface.blogspot.com/2005_03_01_kristiface_archive.html#111194929010713113
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Charles Du Bos
Nederlass
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2005 06:37:32 AM »

Ooh, looks nice! Incl. the handles, don't see anything wrong with them.
Kinda waspy looking, isn't it?   Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005 10:48:50 AM »

Thanks, Nederlass.  I'm pretty fond of the bag... especially now that the wet wool smell is gone (yuck!).  I don't think there's anything WRONG with the handles, per se... I just think that I would like them a little shorter so that they sit closer to the body of the bag.  How's yours coming along?  And what kind of yarn did you have that didn't felt? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Charles Du Bos
Nederlass
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2005 10:56:26 AM »

Well, almost done with the bottom. Got a little distracted by a certain Rowan cardi.   Grin

The yarn I used was given to me by a friend and bought at a thrift store.
To me it felt like it came straight off a sheep, but alas.
I think it was just a lesson in swatching that I needed to learn.  Undecided

Oh, btw now I'm using a rediculously expensive skein of Rowan Yorkshire Tweed, hee hee. But felting it shall!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rabideloise
Karina

rabideloise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2005 08:46:25 PM »

I'm knitting this on a circular--the flat way...I'm not even half done but I'm patient.

Everyone's finished item is so pretty!!  Good work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love The Damned
guessica
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2005 11:57:45 AM »

hey y'all,

here's my FMB unfelted... when i find someone with a non-laundromat, top-loading washing machine around here i'll felt it, but until then it's stalled in its stretchy-arse state...

i'm happy with it, though i'm concerned that the straps will felt too small.  they aren't quite as short as they look (due to optical illusion striping at their bases), but still may be pretty snug. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.figandplum.com/

a plum fine blog, with crafts and news about nothing in particular
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Text Reflection Effect in Photoshop - Tutorial
How to Use the Rule of Thirds
How to Use Curves in Photoshop
Neon text effect in Photoshop - Tutorial
Ice Text Effect in Photoshop - Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...