A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,071
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cable Eight Along from Interweave Knits Spring 2005...whose along?  (Read 6629 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2005 08:51:04 AM »

My mom convinced me to try this pattern out.  It looks easy enough.  It's basically two rectanges sewn together w/ a cable pattern that looks like the number 8!  Very cute and great for summer, since it's sleevless.  Also looks pretty simple aside from the cables, which i tried on a swatch last night. 

Anyone else interested?Huh?  I am going to buy yarn tonight! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't beat 'em, knit for 'em.
mojisha
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005 11:22:24 AM »

The great Poor Miss Finch is hosting a Cable 8 KAL on her website.  I've joined but haven't even gotten the yarn for it yet.  What are you using?  Also, be sure to check out the errata here.  Apparently the cable pattern is wrong in the magazine.  I'll be here showing my progress eventually!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my new digs at http://shysalamander.typepad.com
Trebuchet

I already made infinity of those at scout camp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005 02:18:00 PM »

OH!  I want to make this!   I fell in love with this pattern awhile back.

What yarn are you using?  I have some Rowan Cork that I might be able to use...

Thanks for posting the errata, mojisha.  I had almost started this last week.  Glad I didn't because I would have been VERY confused.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005 04:35:05 PM »

Here is the pic, in case anyone is wondering...

And thanks for the errata!

I am off to look at yarn tonight w/ my momma!  I am leaning towards Rowan Cotton Glace or All Season Cotton, but we'll see...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005 04:57:13 PM »

I think I'm going with the All Seasons Cotton.

Knitkatgrrl, I like your blog!  I also spend most of my work hours knitting or looking at knitting-related things on the internet.  But...I'm a receptionist so it doesn't affect anything.  I can't wait to see the yarn you choose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005 08:07:10 AM »

Ok, ladies!  I am using All Season Cotton by Rowan in a color called Jaunty!

As you can see I am about 2 inches in and my next row will start the cable pattern I think!  Let me see what colors you choose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005 09:48:01 AM »

I bought the All Seasons cotton in Tapestry, an off-white color.  You can see it
here.  It's pretty basic, but I think it will look good with a summer tan.  The seller ships fast, so I hope to cast on early next week!  Knitkatgrrl, I love your color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005 10:48:58 AM »

Yeah, that color will look great w/ a summer tan!  I look good in brights, so I thought Jaunty would be good.  My mom loved it too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005 11:40:50 AM »

Ooops, I am a moron.  I didn't read the pattern exactly and ended up having one straight rib inbetween each cable.  I discovered this about 5 inches into the back.  Sh*t!  I frogged it until right before the cable part and tried it again.  So much better now that I did it the right way.  Phew...

Also, I just want to confirm that I am doing the cable pattern right.  It looks right, but I want to be sure since this is my first time doing cables on a project.  Here is what I am doing...

Slip 4 stitches (2k, 2p) onto the cable needle.  K the next 2 stitches on the real needle, then slip the 2 unpurled purl stitches from the cable needle to the real needle and purl.  Then K the last two stitches from the cable needle.  I hope that makes sense and it CORRECT since that's what I have been doing... Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cameras4toys

"Tears are the orgasm of laughter!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005 04:35:59 PM »

I just finished the front and back and am going to crochet it together this weekend.

I used double stranded Cascade Sierra and LOVED it. It feels wonderful.

To check the results, see my blog: http://d-made.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elmenzino
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005 06:22:36 PM »

Ahhhh.  i wanted to make this right after the issue came out, but I wasn't sure if it was going to be too bulky.  Luckily a few girls on Livejournal have made it and it looks 10x better on "normal people" than the interweave models.  Yay.  I'll get started as soon as I figure out a good sub.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005 10:33:39 PM »

Yay, the more the merrier!  Can't wait to see the finished product, cameras4toys! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005 06:32:13 PM »

Ok, so I am 25% done.  Well, maybe a little more than that!  So far so good, but I am a little worried.  It's coming out very springy.  See the picture below, I had to hold one end w/ the iron and the other end w/ my hand so I could stretch it out so you could see the pattern.  I wonder if this is going to be too snug???  I measured my chest and it's a 36" so I made the sweater that is 38.5".  Maybe the yarn is springy.

Mojisha, are you having the same prob?Huh?

Here is one up close...i love this cable pattern...

How are you guys coming along?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

cameras4toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005 01:54:12 PM »

I also was afraid it would be too snug - but the crochet border adds an inch to each side. Mine fits, but be sure to have a nice gauge on your crochet - my edges were a little loose- they rippled and so the sided are lumpy - I have to rip out my crochet and redo it so it lays nice and flat.

Hoefully I'll get photos tonight
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005 02:23:35 PM »

Cameras4toys, I can't wait to see your finished piece!  Hmm...I've never done a crochet edging before, is it tricky? 

Knitkatgrrl, I'm sorry to say I'm waiting on my yarn to arrive.   Undecided  I couldn't decide on what to use and wound up ordering the Rowan ASC online.  I should be diving in on this project by the end of the week.  I am also 36" and plan on doing the 38.5"...I hope it won't be too stretched out!  I worry about all those little holes where the cables cross.  I really don't want to have to wear a camisole underneath it, yet I don't want it peek-a-boo either. I can't wait to get started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cameras4toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005 03:00:06 PM »

My photos are up on my blog... Maybe I can model it outdoors this weekend.

www.d-made.blogspot.com

Note: My friend Janell (http://janellt.blogspot.com/) altered hers and added sleeves and a v-neck.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005 05:05:04 PM by cameras4toys » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2005 12:51:59 PM »

camera4toys:

Lovely, lovely work, my dear!  It looks great and thanks for the advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

linda63pt
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2005 07:46:17 PM »

camera4toys:  It looks great! Thanks for all your tips! I've been eyeing this along with some others, but am nervous about anything I have to sew!! I'm going to try and jump in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005 06:33:02 PM »

Hi all...just an update on where I am at.  I just cast off the first piece.  FYI, the size I knitted called for 6 of the cable pattern repeat (1-12) and then one set of rows 1-6.  I did not do the last section of rows 1-6 because it was definitely long enough (if not too long).  Just as long as I do the same for the second piece, there shouldn't be a problem.  Now, if someone could just teach me how to crochet...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005 02:36:47 PM »

Ok...I have a question about this.  I'm not sure if I'm doing the cables correctly.  They look terrible in the pic, but it might be because it's not blocked.  They don't look that bad if I stretched them out, but I'm still not certain if they're correct. In the mag the cables look really round, but when I stretched mine out, they still looked pretty skinny. 

So, you slip 4sts onto the cable needle.  Those go in front, right?  Then you knit behind the cable needle the next two stitches on the left needle.  Then, and here's my confusion, you slip the two purl stitches (they would be the third and fourth stitches put on the cable needle, the ones on the left side) back onto the left needle and purl them.  At this time, the two knit stitches on the cable needle are still in front, right?  Can anyone shed any light on this for me?  You can see the whole bad first attempt on my blog (my siggy at the bottom) and see all the mistakes I've made thus far. 

Thanks guys!!  And camerasfortoys...your FO is wonderful!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cameras4toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2005 04:54:31 PM »

Ok...I have a question about this.  I'm not sure if I'm doing the cables correctly.  They look terrible in the pic, but it might be because it's not blocked.  They don't look that bad if I stretched them out, but I'm still not certain if they're correct. In the mag the cables look really round, but when I stretched mine out, they still looked pretty skinny. 

So, you slip 4sts onto the cable needle.  Those go in front, right?  Then you knit behind the cable needle the next two stitches on the left needle.  Then, and here's my confusion, you slip the two purl stitches (they would be the third and fourth stitches put on the cable needle, the ones on the left side) back onto the left needle and purl them.  At this time, the two knit stitches on the cable needle are still in front, right?  Can anyone shed any light on this for me?  You can see the whole bad first attempt on my blog (my siggy at the bottom) and see all the mistakes I've made thus far. 

Thanks guys!!  And camerasfortoys...your FO is wonderful!!!

Here is the eratta:
(worked over 6 sts) Sl 4 sts onto cn and hold in front, k2, return 2 purl sts from end of cn back to left needle, p2 returned sts, k2 from cn.

Clear your mind and follow these instructions exactly. Remember it will cover 6 stitches. Your photo shows you twisting 2 stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005 11:12:03 AM »

Mojisha~

Here's what I did...

I slipped 4 stitches onto the cable needle, then with the CN in the front, I knitted the next stitches on the regular needle.  I then slipped the two purl stitches from the CN to the regular needle (3rd and 4th stitches on the CN) and purled them.  Then I knitted the 2 stitches left on the CN.  Does that make sense? 

My cables look  reversed from the magazine because I knit left-handed (nope, not continental either).  But otherwise, I think they are right.

I am about 2 inches into the second half!  Yay for cables and no shaping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2005 05:15:59 PM »

Thanks guys!!!  I think I've got it!  We'll see when I put up some progress pics this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005 08:07:21 PM »

Ok, I'm seriously considering this as my next project.   Is anyone using the Pakucho Cotton?  I really want to try this organic cotton.
 My bust is a 39, so I guess I should go with the 44 (large) top.  I live in the hot and humid south and definitely don't want to wear a tank under this tank.   This is my first cable project and I'd love for it to be a success!

Thanks!

edit:  It's strange to me (I guess more accurately would be 'new to me') that it's knit up on 11's.  Is this to account for the cable-ing?  Are you guys buying cable needles for this, or are you using some dpns?  What type of cable needles do you prefer?  This will be the most expensive tank I've ever owned, but I think it'll be worth it!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005 08:28:04 PM by Atouria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2005 09:08:04 AM »

My mom has a friend that's using the organic cotton and loves it.  As for the 11 needles, it's because the yarn is doubled so it's bulkier.  I totally recommend this as your first cable project.  The cable pattern is easy once you get the hang of it and there is no shaping, which is so nice.

Good luck and can't wait to see the progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cameras4toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2005 10:39:18 AM »

I am a 38 bust and there is a lot of stretch to this sweater. I wouldn't make the 44 unless you are closer to that size. You can crochet and extra row on the edge if you want to expand it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trebuchet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2005 05:07:02 PM »

I just finished my two pieces and was about to embark on crochet seaming these two babies together.  Just before I broke out my crochet hook, I thought about just using matress stitch to seam them together.  Is there a good reason why I should use the crochet seam and not the matress stitch?

Just wondering.   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2005 05:25:02 PM »

The only difference I would think (I haven't knit this pattern, yet) would be that the actual sizing will be a little bit smaller than it would have with the extra crochet.

Many people are saying that the fabric created is fairly stretchy, so I'm betting that you would be fine.  Just do your measurements and be sure to subtract just a teeny bit to account for the stitches you lose doing the mattress stitch.

Scientific, huh?   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2005 02:41:46 PM »

Woo hoo!  I'm back on track with my Cable-8.  I will say that I CAN READ...but apparently just not when I attempted this the first time.  I was doing to the same cable repeat so instead of crossing the cables like in the pattern, I was crossing the same cables every time and leaving the other ones as ribs. Does that make sense?  I didn't explain that very well, but you can see it in the last picture I posted.  Here is my new progress:

You can see more progress on my blog.  I'm not very far along, however.  This past week has been very non-knitting oriented.    Sad 

I am not eager to try the crocheting part, however.  I haven't crocheted since the wee age of 7, plus it always takes me several attempts to figure out how to do something.

Atouria, I delighted in touching the Pakucho cotton and it was sooo nice. Did you decide to get it?   
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010 10:08:26 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2005 12:59:25 PM »

Just checkin' in all...

I am 1/2 way done w/ the second piece and I hope to have the knitting done this weekend.  Now for the darned crochet part.  Hmmm, it's going to be tricky, but I really do want to follow the pattern.  I love the little crochet "sleeves" on the sweater.  Promise, promise...I will take pics this weekend and post them.

And can I just say, I am so glad that I picked the All Seasons Cotton by Rowan.  It's my first time using it and it knits beautifully.  I am so going to use this for other projects in the future.

Trebuchet, can't wait to see the end result.  You seem to be a talented knitter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trebuchet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2005 06:55:31 PM »

Woot!  All finished!  I posted my thoughts and pics on my blog.

I LOVE this!  What a great simple straight-forward pattern.

I've really enjoyed this KAL.  I think I'm going to get addicted to 'em.  It so fun to see everyone's awesome results.  Not to mention motivating!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

linda63pt
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2005 07:01:20 PM »

Trebuchet, I love it and love the color.  My favorites and it looks great on you. This is on my list to do, once I finish my tank and see if I can sew at all! (I hate sewing)  How was the crochet seaming? (I cannot crochet either!)  The sweater is awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trebuchet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2005 07:18:21 PM »

Thanks!  I forgot to mention that I did end up just using mattress stitch up the sides and not crochet seams.  It turned out just fine, so if you don't feel like crocheting the seams, there's another option.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2005 07:24:20 PM »

i posted to your blog, but I want to mention again, that it looks fabulous!  I'm glad the mattress stitching worked out!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2005 06:31:57 AM »

Beautiful!!! You've really inspired me to get this thing finished.  I hope mine is half as lovely. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinygoatstacker

Why can't puffins eat pancakes instead?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2005 10:46:34 AM »

Wow! Now that I've seen some finished Cable 8s, I think this may be my next project. 
Trebuchet, yours looks wonderful! I really like the color.  Smiley
It looks like we have similar "to make" lists.  I've been drooling over the Lady Eleanor Shawl since I bought Scarf Style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bumblebees, bumblebees... tiny and small, tiny and small....
knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2005 08:36:37 PM »

I am done!  Woo hoo!  I love this sweater and I learned some new tricks from it too: cabling and crocheting!  And lemme tell you, crocheting two pieces together is WAY better than seaming (sewing) so a little extra YAY for that.

Here I am in all my proudness (I know that's not a word)!!!

I have got to say, this was a great sweater project!  Good luck to the rest of you and I can't wait to see your finished products!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2005 04:48:08 PM »

Knitkatgrrl, you look fabulous!!  The color looks really great on you.  How do you like wearing it?  Does it feel too bulky? 

I'm eager to learn how to do the crochet finishing.  Was there a book or website that you used to figure it out? (Sorry...tons of questions.)

Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2005 07:05:33 PM »

I went to my LYS and asked someone to teach me to crochet.  The back of the Interweave Knits mag has a brief instruction on how to do it.  That got me started, but I went on ahead to the LYS just to make sure.  I guess it's a lot easier doing single crochet onto a knitted piece.  It was INCREDIBLY easy!

As for the sweater, I wore it to work today and got many compliments.  It's slightly bulky, but not unflatteringly so.  I really enjoyed wearing it today.

Can't wait to see more results!

And Trebuchet, I think I am slowly getting addicted to KALs too!  It's great to have support!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

julsey723
How do I know about reality? I just play with sticks and string.

do you have jello?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2005 08:11:59 AM »

girls all of your cable-8s look awesome Smiley

i am about 25% done with it - which is much better than i can say for my orangina Sad

will post pics soon...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**PM me if you have a copy of Patons Street Smart for sale or swap**
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________')
blog: www.peonyknits.blogspot.com
shop: www.julsey723.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Promises Book Trailer
Shoptimism Book Trailer
Return to Beauty Book Trailer
Bestselling Author Stephen King Talks About Under the Dome
Alisa Malek Talks About A Country Called Amreeka
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...