A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,798
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: NY Times opinion article on knitting  (Read 2238 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gloriana
« on: March 30, 2005 08:18:56 AM »

Hey y'all - here's a link to a new article in the NY Times on knitting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/30/opinion/30wed3.html?incamp=article_popular_4

Debbie Stoller is quoted in it, of course.  I was particularly intrigued by the "Stitch 'n Ride" train cars in Oakland!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
starlings
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005 08:48:43 AM »

Articles like this leave me ambivalent. On the one hand, I think it's great that knitting is so popular - it's great to have so many people to talk to about it, the selection and availability of yarn has exploded.

I'm glad that in the time I've knitted, no one like the author of this piece has expressed their narrowminded and ageist attitude to me about it. It would have pissed me off. In fact, the author's apparent belief that an activity is only as cool or interesting as the people who engage in it is nearly as offensive to me as sexism.

As for knitting as a feminist symbol, "taking back the needles", I have yet to be convinced that the phrase has any real social meaning. Knitting is an activity that presumes a certain amount of leisure time (and in the case of the luxury yarn sub-craze, disposable income). I think this explains why it is most common among women of univeristy age and women of retirement age. The major difficulties facing women in our society have more to do with economic and legal rights than the devaluation of the recreational needlework most of them no longer engage in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005 09:20:37 AM »

I've been trying to compose a good reply to you starlings, but I mostly just wanted to say that you make some very good points and have given me food for thought.

And relating to the article (and to the idea of knitting as a middle class activity for people with the time and disposable income) I was really excited about the idea of movie screenings with the lights on in that article. That would be so much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
starlings
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005 09:59:37 AM »

I was really excited about the idea of movie screenings with the lights on in that article. That would be so much fun!
Me too! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005 10:04:18 AM »

The article read like a not very well researched book report, boiling things down to overly-simplified "facts."  Just because this author didn't appreciate her grandmother's knitting, then all knitting prior to last week was for uncool grannies?  I don't think so!

And as far as the Oakland knitting train goes, I believe that that was a one-time event.  Amtrak offered a discount rate to the Stitches West Conference this year, but as far as I know there are no regular Knitting Trains.  One wonders how this would work....  Woud you have to open your bag, and show the conductor your project before you got on the train?  Would crocheters be told to sit in another car?

I find these "knitting is suddenly cool" articles that spring up from time to time mildly exasperating.  I've been knitting for years. I do it because it challenges me mentally, and creatively.  I like being able to wear garments that exist only in my mind. I like being able to give hand made gifts.  But am I doing it in an attempt to be cool?  NO FREAKIN' WAY!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultraviolet
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005 10:17:57 AM »

Exactly, lisascenic! And the author seems to feel obligated to learn to knit because it's the trendy thing to do, despite her negative feelings towards it. I mean geez - it's not for everyone! If you're not interested in it, then don't do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005 10:24:34 AM »

Excellent comments everyone.  I don't have much to add, except to say that I am irritated by the author's "Well, now it's cool to knit so I might as well give it a try" tone.  I am new to knitting, and I have to admit that I have felt sheepish at times because (I thought that) those around me suspected that I was only knitting because "everyone else is doing it."  Give me a break!  And a little bit of credit!  I have been crafty my whole life, and honestly, knitting never, ever crossed my mind until it became so popular.  No one around me ever knit, so I just never thought about it until the new craze started.  I tried it, I love it.  Simple.  If I wanted to be cool I'd be spending less time and money on grad school and more time and money on being a consumer of pop culture.  But wait!  Knitting IS pop culture!  GAAAAHHHH!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fancypantsayla
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005 10:46:03 AM »

What about the  boys who knit?  There is no mention of them here, the article only focuses on the domesticity issue to feminists, which in itself is quite sexist and shortsighted.  I KNOW there are knitting boys out there, personally I only know a few but there are more on this site, too.  They're the ones who should be bummed by this editorial, they aren't even acknowledged.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005 10:51:44 AM »

I am new to knitting, and I have to admit that I have felt sheepish at times because (I thought that) those around me suspected that I was only knitting because "everyone else is doing it."  Give me a break!  And a little bit of credit! 

Good for you for taking this position. Learning a new skill is always a good thing, regardless of what gave you the idea to do it.

So do you think that someday soon we'll see people rolling their eyes at the sight of a knitter and saying "oh, knitting, it's so OVER...I gave that up AGES ago..."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005 04:44:52 PM »

Good for you for taking this position. Learning a new skill is always a good thing, regardless of what gave you the idea to do it.

Thanks - I agree!  I want to learn crochet, too, becuase for some stuff (like flowers and edging) it just works better.  I welcome new skills!  I gobble them up!

So do you think that someday soon we'll see people rolling their eyes at the sight of a knitter and saying "oh, knitting, it's so OVER...I gave that up AGES ago..."

I already see ponchos on their way out, despite the recent Martha incident, so I think that some knitters will give it up once they don't have "cool" stuff to knit. The article did do an adequate job of documenting how knitting popularity waxes and wanes with time (as with all things, I guess).

But, for some reason I suspect that knitting will stick with a lot of people for a long time.  It really seems to be a satisfying, relaxing, fun hobby for a TON of people, and since you can do it in the privacy of your own home, it's not subject to the same kind of peer scrutiny as what you happen to be wearing.  And, judging by the huge variety in age, employment, income, and interests that I see from various SnB groups in my area, knitting isn't simply a pop culture, youth-inspired trend.  It's really taken hold over all kinds of groups of women (and men  Wink). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
iPhone Photography Tips
Understanding White Balance
Pet Photography Tips
Digital Photography Editing Software
Flash Photography Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...