A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hand made rugs LOTS of pics  (Read 18710 times)
Tags for this thread: rug , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

perpetualspiral
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2009 10:02:53 PM »

these are just amazing!  I've done some patterned rug hooking (3 large), and I loved it. I've always wanted to create my own though, and these are really inspiring. Such a great story too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2009 11:46:58 PM »

Holy crow!

Those are fan-flipping-tastic! I cannot imagine the time, patience and talent that went into each and every one of those gorgeous rugs.

That is one special and creative lady.

I'd gladly invite any of those lovelies to live at my house where I could stand, stare and drool over them.

Rocks, wisted, favourited...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KrisEOB
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2009 01:43:43 AM »

It's so neat to see these! 

Gene Shepherd is a friend of mine, and the pastor of my church.  He is considered one of the premier rug hookers in the U.S. (along with Jane Olsen, who is also goes to my church.)  I'm working on my first rug hooking project now.

Anyone who's interested in learning how to hook might be interested in Gene's website: www.geneshepherd.com.  He and Jane worked together on The Rug Hooker's Bible and a new second book on three-dimensional rug hooking, called Prodding.  (I'm not trying to be all salesman-y.  I don't get anything from this, just think it may be helpful to anyone interested in trying this type of work!)

Thanks for sharing these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wickedgoodknitta
Would like to be a wicked betta knitta!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2009 04:03:07 AM »

Beautiful. I hope the rugs are preserved as the true heirlooms and works of art they are.

A woman in my town designs and hooks rugs in this traditional way. I admire the patience and the vision to make such beautiful, long-lasting pieces.

Thanks for sharing and best to your MIL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Go Red Sox!
SonjaBoo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2009 04:25:03 AM »

Joy is an incredible artist!  Those are truly heirloom pieces and your family will be fortunate enough to treasure them for a long time! Congrats to her on her first art show!  Grin

I had an art class in college (way back in the day) where our teacher taught us how to make these traditional hooked rugs.  I haven't done it since then, but have totally wanted to!  For any Craftsters out there who think they might be interested in doing this -- trust me, you will love it. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2009 05:01:12 AM »

H.O.L.Y. S.@.%.*!!!! That's simply amazing. Tell your grandmother she rocks this hizzouse, for sure. (Or tell her wonderful work so she doesn't think you have a speech impediment or something).

Hahahahaha!  My husband and I were just discussing this last night!  We are wondering how easy/hard it will be to even describe what Craftster *is* to her!  She knows what the internet is, in theory, but has never touched a computer.  We were wondering if we should bring the laptop over to her so she can see, but she is kind of shy and we wonder if she will be mildly scandalized that I posted her stuff to the world - She might only feel that way because it's (ahem) unladylike to seek attention Wink.  She really is very genteel and excrutiatingly well-mannered. Smiley  So what I'm going to do is print the comments out and make a special crafty card (or perhaps a book!) for her.  I know that in her heart she will feel very loved. Smiley Smiley

And KrisEOB, THANK YOU for posting that Gene Shepherd link!  Everyone, go check it out!  Go to the blog, and you will see some fantastic pictures and "action shots" of people working on this type of rug (although they are all working on lap-sized projects - Joy used a huge fram, sort of similar to a quilting frame, to hold her work).  There are pictures of the little wooden-handle hooks that Joy used, and you can see how the design is drawn onto the burlap first and then you can see some in-progress pictures of various people with their work.  And that's all on just the first page!  www.geneshepherd.com  is awesome! 

Thank you again to everyone taking the time to leave your lovely comments, they are all much appreciated. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
Spice
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2009 05:38:08 AM »

She did some amazing work. I never knew that rugs were made that way. My favorite is the one that is family related. They are all pieces of art but that one is beyond description wonderful.

Spice
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2009 06:38:21 AM »

these are intensely amazing!  That woman had patience and dedication.  What skill!  all those rugs are gorgeous, and I can't believe she made them all by hand!!!!!!!  what wonderful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TAOJ

eating my strawberries

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2009 06:43:36 AM »

They are gorgeous! I remember my great aunt making these hooked rugs and they took a ton of time, but were beautiful. I live on Cape Breton Island where this craft is still continued especially in the Cheticamp area, if you google Cheticamp, NS you will probably find some info. Tell her that her work is wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

keogan42
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2009 07:03:09 AM »

these are beautiful and she is so talented.  i love the designs, which seem very unconventional for the time period in which they were made...they are stylish even today!  i would totally buy one of these if i could.  thanks for sharing her work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Brittany Geragotelis on Life’s a Witch
Brittany Geragotelis on What the Spell
Stanley Tucci Shares Family Recipes in His New Cookbook
R.L. Stine Reveals His New Adult Novel Red Rain
The Final Death of the Novel
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...