A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
356 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hand made rugs LOTS of pics  (Read 18721 times)
Tags for this thread: rug , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 27, 2009 06:32:55 AM »

So, my 95 year old mother-in-law just had her first art opening!  I didn't make anything here in this post, but I believe it is truly craftster-worthy and I've seen folks post stuff that their friend or relative made, so I thought I'd go ahead and share.  Hope this is ok!

Anyway:  Joy began hooking rugs in the 1940's and did it for almost 50 years!  This is *not* the latch hooking.  This is the kind of hooking where you cut wool fabric into long strips that are about 1/4 " wide (or even narrower), and work them continuously and very close together into burlap fabric, using a hook that somewhat resembles a crochet hook.  The fabric is not knotted in any way.  You would think they would unravel but you hook them in so tightly they somehow stay together.

My sister in law organized a show for Joy at the retirement home where she lives.  It was very well attended.  This is an old-school art/craft that really deserves to be carried on.  I've given it a try and it really is very easy, just kind of time consuming if you are doing a big project, but no more so than most of the other kinds of needle/hooked arts - it just takes a loooong time to make a whole rug because they are so big.  However, Joy has also done pillows and wall hangings this way too, although I don't have any pictures of those.

Ok! Smiley

This is one of my favorites, all rainbow-y.  It's about 2 1/2 feet by 3 1/2 feet.

This one is sort of a sampler-style.  Made in the 1950's, it's one of her more wild-and-crazy creations, very uncharacteristic of conventional styles.  Everyone should cut loose from time to time!  (note the owl!)  This one is her own design, and all of the motifs have a very personal meaning - her husband played the violin, she loves flowers and nature and her cat, and even the saturn references her love for astronomy!  It's like cave paintings, a real historical record of her life.  Very inspirational and of course priceless to her family.

Here's a detail of it so you can see all the individual loops.  Always sign your work! Smiley

Here is one that is more traditional, using a purchased pattern, as she did with many of her rugs.  However, she rarely followed color charts, preferring to use her own combinations.  Oh and she dyed most of her own wool strips on top of the stove. Smiley

This one's a teeny bit blurry but if you look at the motif on the left/center you can see her unorthodox use of color - the gradated pink/purple/green is apparently considered pretty darn kooky for that time period! Cheesy

This is just for scale:

And here are some details: 

This one was everyone's favorite:

And a detail of it, I just couldn't get a good enough close up to show the pattern and all the gazillions of individual loops at the same time. Tongue

Here you can see some of her larger works - real room-sized beauties, that would usually take her a year to make, working for a few hours many evenings (especially in the winter  Smiley )  During the day she ran an inn with her husband.  (and yes, they have all been walked on continuously, some for 50 years!)

And here are some of the smaller ones displayed on a table.  On second thought maybe I should have cropped this one a bit.  That fine figure of a man is my husband, or part of him any way. Wink

I repeat:  ALWAYS SIGN YOUR WORK!  Including the date, because when you are 95 years old and the world is clammoring for details on your amazing work, you won't remember everything! Wink

Thanks for checking out the work of a very venerable Craftster Lady - any feedback I bring to her will be a joy to Joy, I am sure. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009 06:50:58 AM »

Stunning!  Absolutely stunning! 

Bravo!  *applause * applause * applause *

Please share my awestruck appreciate for her work with her.  She indeed is an artist of the first rate.  Congrats on her first show!

Thank YOU so much for sharing her work.  What an inspiration! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
Jenicat
Where is my mind?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009 06:55:57 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Holy COW these are amazing.  I am going to wist several of them when I get to my other computer.  WOW.  Wow.

Thank you so much for sharing these on her behalf!  They are beautiful.  Wow.  Sorry, I can't really think of anything better to say.  Wow! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schnerby
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009 07:03:28 AM »

Please do print these comments and make sure someone lets her know what is said.

Incredible work. A lovely craft and quite an achievement. The one with all her likes on it is particularly special.
She should be very proud of her creations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fusbdgt
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009 07:09:34 AM »

These are fabulous, so intricate and beautiful, true works of art!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KiwiQ
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009 07:16:08 AM »

These are seriously amazing.  Thank you thank you thank you for sharing not just the pictures but the story on craftster!  Though most of these don't fall into my decorating style, I have such an appreciation for something like this, an amazing example of someone who was taken a craft and made it her own.  Were any of them for sale?  I can't imagine there would be many left over if there were!  And I love her use of colors...kooky and all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a moat.  Filled with badgers.
Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009 07:21:21 AM »

Please do print these comments and make sure someone lets her know what is said.

Thank you, and I most certainly will do so!

Also, no, none of them were or have ever been for sale.  She has only ever given them away, mostly to family.  The blue/green leaf one and the Aztec-looking one are what hubby and I put our feet on every morning when we get out of bed.   Smiley 

Most of the "traditional" large floral ones don't necesarily go with my decorating schemes either, but definitely her more fanciful stuff, like the rainbows, the stylized leaves and the Aztec one do.  I actually think she has quite a range of designs going on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009 07:31:20 AM »

they are stunning an to know they are all hand made makes them even more incredible!
I kept wanting to reach out and touch them and feel  their beauty!  she is an amazing woman apparently.  I could never let such beauty be walked on. but would love to know how durable they are. how have they been stored. are there any missing from her collection? which is her favorite.   wow I am just stunned.  they look like the painted ones that are sold in stores  but I bet they feel so much different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
phlegethon
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009 07:33:13 AM »

These are incredible beautiful. And I love that she has an art opening, to show all her work over the years. Truly, a lifetime of stunning work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every angel is terrible.

wists
ravelry
NotKnit

My best works.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009 07:36:26 AM »

Wow, such amazing work, and she dyed her own wool and created her own designs! What a creative and talented woman.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lauren Strasnick Talks About Her and Me and You
Scott Westerfeld Talks About Working with an Illustrator
Mireille Giuliano Talks About Women, Work and the Art of Savoir Faire
Dr. Herbert Benson Talks About Relaxation Revolution
Meet Author Kathleen McGowan
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...