A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,753
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hand made rugs LOTS of pics  (Read 18300 times)
Tags for this thread: rug , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NH822

"Every day is better than the last!" -Logan, age 6

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009 07:36:54 AM »

Stunning.  I am in awe.  I think I loved each and every one.  How lucky you are to know such a talented lady and also to have such a beautiful work of art in your home!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues."
-Elizabeth Taylor
akachan
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009 07:38:24 AM »

Oh mi gosh!!! Wow...Simply stunning!

If had to pick faves...which is hard because they are all sooo fantastic, it would have to be the green leaf one, and most definitely the Jacobean one !

My great grandma used to rug hook. Though a lot of woman did back then, out of necessity more then an artistic bend. I haven't given it a go myself, it turns out that I am allergic to burlap!

I know for a fact there are a LOT of rug hookers in this province,(Newfoundland) and the local textile college have a semester dealing with it.

Joy's work is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChickadeeChickadoo
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009 07:42:40 AM »

Wow! Those are stunning and to think she worked for a year on them. I have trouble concentrating on one project for a week!

I think its so important to keep these skills out there its nice to see them being displayed so they can be apreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KandZ
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009 07:54:06 AM »

Truly amazing!  Thank you so much for sharing all of this beauty with us. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jolyon
Rosalind Julia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009 08:03:26 AM »

These are amazing!  I love the aztec one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009 08:04:49 AM »

I could never let such beauty be walked on. but would love to know how durable they are. how have they been stored. are there any missing from her collection? which is her favorite.   wow I am just stunned.  they look like the painted ones that are sold in stores  but I bet they feel so much different.

Well, as for their durability, she had them right on the floor for many years throughout the inn that she ran, so some of them got pretty heavy foot traffic.  Otherwise even after she retired, she had them all through her house.  Although her homes have always been the type that you would never, ever wear your muddy boots into, it also wasn't the type of place that you had to remove your shoes at the door.  She had two kids that grew up tromping all over these rugs.  She just vacuumed them as you normally would.  I know that there is probably some very particular information regarding preservation techniques, which we may get around to following eventually. Wink  For instance I wouldn't let the grandkids eat around these rugs and I also only have them in areas where no pets are allowed.  I think under "normal" use, as opposed to wear and tear that is exceptionally hard on things (mud, dogs, etc.) they stand up quite well.  

But I do think that now that some of these rugs are getting on in years, they might be getting ready to retire - as Joy approaches her 96th birthday, (still full of vim and vigor! Smiley) I think we are coming to the realization that nothing really lasts forever.  Most of the larger ones are only just now going into temporary storage (rolled with the top of the rug inside, and wrapped in old sheets with cedar chips sprinkled in) - until we determine where they will live out their golden years... Smiley

Compared to ones you see in stores, these are very thick and substantial.  

Also did I say that she cut all of her wool fabric strips herself, with a really cool hand-cranked rotary strip cutter.  I have that tool in my possesion now and look forward to using it some time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
litebrite1919

http://www.kellycaroline.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009 08:09:35 AM »

these are marvelous !! The one with all the squares is amazing, especially for the 50's  Smiley

really truely awesome and outstanding!!!!
 Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsomnia
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009 08:17:53 AM »

Wow.. these are amazing!.. I cannot imagine having the patience to make these.. how tedious that would be!.. When I saw the picture with the people standing on the rugs.. I wanted to reach through the computer and kindly scootch them off the rugs!!..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beckster
Never met a needle I couldn't work with

Coffee and yarn are my two best friends.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009 08:23:21 AM »

Those rugs are amazing!  The time it took to make one...Your in-law has more patients than most!!

I am sure the technique she used was called 'locker hooking'.  My mom tried it and has a few friends who do it.  It's definitely NOT the same as rug hooking!

Thanks for posting!!  Your never too old to be a craftster! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FUN FUR IS MUPPET MURDER!!! 
Wist: http://wists.com/br549xt93
Ravelry: rebecky
LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009 08:23:55 AM »

Oh my! They are all gorgeous! It boggles my mind that they are handmade, they look so professional. I think the first one is my favorite too! I'm not sure I could actually use them as rugs! I would yell at anyone that stepped on them lol. What talent!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Makeover Tips from Lawrence Zarian
Fashion Staples to Stock Up on for Work
Have You Ever Looked as Good as Olivia Palermo in a Storm?
Primark Lookbook 2014
4 Date Night Outfit Ideas!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...