A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,733
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I wanted a pink laptop...(3 fat pix)  (Read 5200 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roccstarr75
« on: April 27, 2009 12:04:11 AM »

Ok, so all the pink laptops were really weak.  I guess pink=toy in the minds of manufacturers.  So what's a pink lovin' gal to do?  Enter: Spraypaint.

I was going to take my laptops cover off, but I did not want to risk messing up my built-in web cam, so I just very crefully taped it off.

The I sprayed a coat of white KILZ.  After that I put about 4 coats of a super high-gloss tulip pink.  1 coat of micro-fine silver glitter spray, and about 5 coats of clear.

I buffed the shine off my original cover to help the paint stick better, and I lightly sanded each paint layer before applying the next, this helps a LOT.

I am thinking about applying some super sparkly Swarovski crystal rhinestones to make an "M" on the front (For "Michele"), but not sure yet.  Its been done for about 2 weeks, so its good and dry now, but I think I'll let it cure a little longer before doing the stones.

Please ignore the chihuahua ear poking out of the blanket.  HAHA! you can't ignore it now!!! Grin

Here is a close-up:

And here is an extreme close-up:

This picture is terrible, but you can see the size of the glitter in it.

If you want better instructions, lemme know!  It was fun.  Its also pretty durable, this is the second one I've done and the 1st is over 3 years old.  It doesn't have a single chip and only minor scratches in the paint.

C + C + Q welcome!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Loli-chan
Simply Brilliant

Antisocially Awesome

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009 01:00:24 AM »

This is really, really cool. I'd never have thought spray paint could be so durable! I just got a new laptop, so I think I'll be stealing your idea. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dead... It's what you are when you've died.
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009 04:02:20 AM »

This is very cool all by itself, but CHIHUAHUA EAR! Awh! The doggy is all snuggled up warm and cosy under the covers! Awh! Cosy doggy! I want to see the whole chihuahua now [grin]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
crendon
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009 05:58:20 AM »

I also decorated my laptop, but I had NO idea you could use spraypaint! did it make the hinges sticky at all? it looks super cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009 12:23:10 PM »

Karma Chick - Go ahead, I'll make a better tute if you want one.

Persephone Hazard - Ok 1st off, I friggin LOVE your hair, I have red too, but I can't get it that vivid!!!  Also I used to have 3 chihuahua sisters: Persephone, Calliope, and Daphne.  (RIP)  But here's the pic of Miley.

You can see how those ears don't stay hidden very well LOL!

crendon - The hinges never got sprayed.  Some laptops might be different, but my hinges were beneath the taped off part.  Again, I'll make a real tute if ya'll want one.  It really does make it more personal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009 12:55:03 PM »

Persephone, Calliope, and Daphne - best sister pet names EVER :-) And Miley is totally adorable. Yeah, red hair dye fades like a bitch - here's a pic of me with it only just dyed, to show how much it faded even between then and my avatar - from orange to red in a week!

I should totally bling out my laptop. I have some stickers on it, but it needs way more [grin]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009 12:56:12 PM by Persephone Hazard » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
alixianervosa

That's what she said

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009 06:40:11 PM »

I love it!  Any other tips/tricks/suggestions for people wanting to do this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God wanted us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates." -Willy Wonka
roccstarr75
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009 07:18:15 PM »

alixianervosa - The best tip I can give you is wait for the tute!  Grin

I am trying to put one together,  but it will be generic in some areas, because laptops vary in design.  I will try to have it done by the end of the week for ya'll.

If you don't want to wait, the best tips I can give are:
1.  DO NOT SKIP the step of sanding your surface!
2.  DO NOT be impatient.  Let each layer/coat dry for at LEAST an hour (but no more than 4) between coats.
3.  DO NOT SKIP the primer.  Also, if you are going to do a light color and you use a primer that is not white, make your 1st coat of paint white.  Otherwise you can put 15 coats of the color and it will never look right.
4.  DO unplug your laptop and remove the battery prior to working on it.
5.  Do any homework or things before you paint it, as you will need to leave it for closed and taped up for almost a whole day, maybe 2 depending on how long you wait between coats.  Once the final coat is on, you can remove the tape and open it up, but I would wait at least an hour before putting the battery back in and plugging it in.  After that, you can work on it on a table or somewhere where the paited side won't get touched.
6.  DO make sure you like the color you pick because there is no going back.

OK - Look out for the tute, I will try to put some pictures in for ya'll, but I don't know how many!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alixianervosa

That's what she said

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009 05:29:58 AM »

Awesome!  Thank you so much.  I will probably wait for the tute...I didn't even know one was definitely coming...so yay for that!

Again, this looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God wanted us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates." -Willy Wonka
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009 07:13:18 AM »

I LOVE IT!!!
You did a great job, and the sparkles are great too!
I'm doing my craft 'room' in pink and black.... well mostly pink, with some black.... that would go great inside of it!!
I hate the desk top....   Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009 07:58:46 AM »

Like Persephone I believe my machine needs some bling.

Persephone, thank you so much for posting that picture of yourself. I almost totally forgot I needed to remove my craftster mangled nail polish before an actual job interview this afternoon.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Kristen81
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009 01:29:25 PM »

Wait!!!!   Stop!!!!!!!

Someone posted on this thread they just got a NEW laptop they were going to do this to....

While I think this is AWESOME and might just steal this idea to paint up my little HP, never, NEVER do this to a new laptop until the WARRANTY PERIOD has EXPIRED!  Otherwise should something go wrong with your CPU you are up shit creek as this would most certainly void your warranty.

I was also just thinking vehicle paint might work nicely here...though, might be a tad expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009 01:39:24 PM »

I've wanted to paint my laptop for some time now but was told that I could be in danger of the paint coroding the plastic or even going through it depending on what it's made of.

Your laptop looks awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009 04:53:56 PM »

I would love to do this to my laptop! (it is two years old and much past warranty, plus the bf is a computer whiz so I feel safe!). Pink is my favorite color! I was considering buying a new laptop just to have one that's pink, but why spend the money when this one is perfectly good?

Some questions: Could you share what make your laptop is? Mine is a Dell. Also, did you paint the inside where your wrists rest while you type? Since the original color of mine is black, it might look weird if I did it pink on the outside but when it opens it's all black still.

raeraethejetplane - You can buy paint that is specially made for plastic. There are many brands out there. I would assume your laptop is made of polypropylene, but you could probably look online or call the manufacturer to find out.

Kristen81 - Vehicle paint is designed specifically to adhere to steel, and I think it would be extremely cost prohibitive. Automotive refinish coatings are formulated to work as a system including primers, basecoats, undercoats, sealers and catalysts before you get to the final color and clearcoat. (I work for a company that manufactures automotive OEM and refinish coatings). You might want to try something made for plastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
roccstarr75
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009 07:06:48 PM »

oneeyedsally - i have an Acer, its about a year old.  No I did not paint the inside, it is silver already, so it looks ok as is.  I think pink and black look good together though, so it should be fine.  I totally hear what you are saying about auto paint, but I have used those touch-up sprays on plastic and they work fine.  I know they're probably not the same as real auto paint, but they produced a really smooth  metallic finish.   Well assuming you use a metallic paint.  For this I used a paint made by Valspar.  The can says: "Premium Enamel" "Gloss."  "Interior/Exterior."  "Ideal for wood, metal, more..."  On the back it says:  "This premium spray gives stylish color and a flawless finish.  Use on objects throughout your home.  Suitable for wood, metal, plastics, ceramics, paper mache, etc."  I found it at Lowes for about $3 a can.  They had an awesome color selection at my store (I used "Tulip Pink"), It was soooo hard to decide, and I'm a die-hard Pinkie!  I will also tell you, this is hands down, the BEST spray paint I have EVER used, and maybe only a grafitti artist uses more spray paint than I have.  Seriously though, pay the $3 for this.  It was so shiny it honestly didn't need the clear coat other than for protection, and maybe it didn't need that.  I just did it because I have not tested its durability yet, and I put a cheap-o glitter spray over the pink.  It needed it to make it smoooooth!  HHAHAAA!  I have painted many, many plastic things, and have always used regular spray paint or craft acrylics.  They key is sanding the shine off of the surface you're painting, and putting down a coat of KILZ primer first.  Either the oil-based or water-based will usually work, but I find the oil-based works better in applications that will be getting wet a lot.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009 10:23:50 PM by roccstarr75 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kristen81
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009 07:18:34 PM »

That's what I was thinking...the automotive spray touch up....followed by the clear coat.

I have a Mazda3 in "Winning Blue", thought that'd make a great colour on the laptop.

http://www.msprotege.com/members/rjison/Lowered%20Mz3.JPG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
roccstarr75
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009 10:20:13 PM »

Kristen81 - That is really pretty color.  I would say go for it, just don't forget the KILZ first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009 11:26:18 AM »

being the pink glitter loving person that I am...I've got serious laptop envy going on! You did a super job!

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
amybaby
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009 06:41:47 PM »

that is so cool! thanks for the tips, I don't have a laptop, but now i *know* spray painting plastic can be done, durable and look great!    Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly.
-Buckminster Fuller

http://moonstonelove.etsy.com
http://www.flickr.com/people/moonstonelove
http://www.myspace.com/moonstonelove
eyeseefaeries
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009 05:14:54 PM »

That is so awesome!  I'd totally do it to my computer, but my dad would KILL me. Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009 07:25:32 PM »

I never thought I'd say this; but i CAN'T WAIT for my warranty to expire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sillyellie

Definately not Jacob, definately!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009 10:06:23 AM »

Persephone, Calliope, and Daphne - best sister pet names EVER :-) And Miley is totally adorable. Yeah, red hair dye fades like a bitch - here's a pic of me with it only just dyed, to show how much it faded even between then and my avatar - from orange to red in a week!

I should totally bling out my laptop. I have some stickers on it, but it needs way more [grin]

Try using henna for your hair.
Its natural (conditions) for your hair and
it will keep your hair red for
a while.

go to hennaforhair.com for tips.

make sure you dont go for
the boxed henna from beauty supply
because most of the times they aren't
really henna.

one clue if they have shades that
are brown or blonde its not henna
because it only gives your hair a
shade of red.

let me know if you try it
because i love it!
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009 03:24:11 PM by kittykill - Reason: Image quoted » THIS ROCKS   Logged

im a craftster lurker =]
(always online admiring but never posting)

http://www.wists.com/sillyellie
http://www.myspace.com/sillyellie

two things i am excited about:
moving to florida in august for disney intership
twilight swap - & 1st ever =]
Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009 04:52:32 PM »

I'm having an Audrey moment!  What about doing a laptop in Tiffany Blue and sparkling it up with diamond-like crystals?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
Miss World
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009 04:22:28 AM »

omg! this is LOVE! Cheesy a pink laptop! super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sprinklez
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010 03:59:56 PM »

I love that! I would be way to scared to paint mine, I'd probably mess it up somehow. >.<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

holliesademocrat
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010 12:03:16 PM »

Umm yeah, that is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Now I just need to figure out how to tape off my little apple on the top and get some courage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Owl swap: crafting (but need to stop!)
TV Addict Swap: crafting
Christmas swap: crafting
FOC swap: crafting
TTFB swap: awaiting a partner
tazoop
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010 06:16:37 PM »

and the possibilities are ENDLESS!!!  Stripes!  Polka dots!!!  Argyle!  I now want to take off the cover I bought for my macbook and do this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010 07:49:37 PM »

I don't think I'm brave enough to paint my laptop, but your instructions seem simple enough to follow. Maybe I should give it a try with a custom paint job. Any suggestions if I wanted like stripes or circles? How long should I wait before putting up a second coat or new color of paint?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Camtasia Studio Tutorial
Basic Adobe After Effects CS4 Tutorial
How to UVW Map and Texture - 3ds Max Part 1/2
How to Play Video In Reverse - Sony Vegas
Basics of Modeling - 3ds Max
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...