A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I wanted a pink laptop...(3 fat pix)  (Read 5489 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roccstarr75
« on: April 27, 2009 12:04:11 AM »

Ok, so all the pink laptops were really weak.  I guess pink=toy in the minds of manufacturers.  So what's a pink lovin' gal to do?  Enter: Spraypaint.

I was going to take my laptops cover off, but I did not want to risk messing up my built-in web cam, so I just very crefully taped it off.

The I sprayed a coat of white KILZ.  After that I put about 4 coats of a super high-gloss tulip pink.  1 coat of micro-fine silver glitter spray, and about 5 coats of clear.

I buffed the shine off my original cover to help the paint stick better, and I lightly sanded each paint layer before applying the next, this helps a LOT.

I am thinking about applying some super sparkly Swarovski crystal rhinestones to make an "M" on the front (For "Michele"), but not sure yet.  Its been done for about 2 weeks, so its good and dry now, but I think I'll let it cure a little longer before doing the stones.

Please ignore the chihuahua ear poking out of the blanket.  HAHA! you can't ignore it now!!! Grin

Here is a close-up:

And here is an extreme close-up:

This picture is terrible, but you can see the size of the glitter in it.

If you want better instructions, lemme know!  It was fun.  Its also pretty durable, this is the second one I've done and the 1st is over 3 years old.  It doesn't have a single chip and only minor scratches in the paint.

C + C + Q welcome!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Loli-chan
Simply Brilliant

Antisocially Awesome

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009 01:00:24 AM »

This is really, really cool. I'd never have thought spray paint could be so durable! I just got a new laptop, so I think I'll be stealing your idea. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dead... It's what you are when you've died.
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009 04:02:20 AM »

This is very cool all by itself, but CHIHUAHUA EAR! Awh! The doggy is all snuggled up warm and cosy under the covers! Awh! Cosy doggy! I want to see the whole chihuahua now [grin]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
crendon
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009 05:58:20 AM »

I also decorated my laptop, but I had NO idea you could use spraypaint! did it make the hinges sticky at all? it looks super cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009 12:23:10 PM »

Karma Chick - Go ahead, I'll make a better tute if you want one.

Persephone Hazard - Ok 1st off, I friggin LOVE your hair, I have red too, but I can't get it that vivid!!!  Also I used to have 3 chihuahua sisters: Persephone, Calliope, and Daphne.  (RIP)  But here's the pic of Miley.

You can see how those ears don't stay hidden very well LOL!

crendon - The hinges never got sprayed.  Some laptops might be different, but my hinges were beneath the taped off part.  Again, I'll make a real tute if ya'll want one.  It really does make it more personal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009 12:55:03 PM »

Persephone, Calliope, and Daphne - best sister pet names EVER :-) And Miley is totally adorable. Yeah, red hair dye fades like a bitch - here's a pic of me with it only just dyed, to show how much it faded even between then and my avatar - from orange to red in a week!

I should totally bling out my laptop. I have some stickers on it, but it needs way more [grin]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009 12:56:12 PM by Persephone Hazard » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
alixianervosa

That's what she said

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009 06:40:11 PM »

I love it!  Any other tips/tricks/suggestions for people wanting to do this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God wanted us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates." -Willy Wonka
roccstarr75
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009 07:18:15 PM »

alixianervosa - The best tip I can give you is wait for the tute!  Grin

I am trying to put one together,  but it will be generic in some areas, because laptops vary in design.  I will try to have it done by the end of the week for ya'll.

If you don't want to wait, the best tips I can give are:
1.  DO NOT SKIP the step of sanding your surface!
2.  DO NOT be impatient.  Let each layer/coat dry for at LEAST an hour (but no more than 4) between coats.
3.  DO NOT SKIP the primer.  Also, if you are going to do a light color and you use a primer that is not white, make your 1st coat of paint white.  Otherwise you can put 15 coats of the color and it will never look right.
4.  DO unplug your laptop and remove the battery prior to working on it.
5.  Do any homework or things before you paint it, as you will need to leave it for closed and taped up for almost a whole day, maybe 2 depending on how long you wait between coats.  Once the final coat is on, you can remove the tape and open it up, but I would wait at least an hour before putting the battery back in and plugging it in.  After that, you can work on it on a table or somewhere where the paited side won't get touched.
6.  DO make sure you like the color you pick because there is no going back.

OK - Look out for the tute, I will try to put some pictures in for ya'll, but I don't know how many!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alixianervosa

That's what she said

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009 05:29:58 AM »

Awesome!  Thank you so much.  I will probably wait for the tute...I didn't even know one was definitely coming...so yay for that!

Again, this looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God wanted us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates." -Willy Wonka
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009 07:13:18 AM »

I LOVE IT!!!
You did a great job, and the sparkles are great too!
I'm doing my craft 'room' in pink and black.... well mostly pink, with some black.... that would go great inside of it!!
I hate the desk top....   Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Duck Commander Matriarch Miss Kay Has a Cookbook!
An Extended Look at a Great Game
Gambling 101 with Artie Lange
Mean Book Reviews with Artie Lange
Jet Black and the Ninja Wind
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...