A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
757 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Landscaping on a Shoestring Budget  (Read 1934 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lunapooka
« on: April 26, 2009 07:32:15 PM »

I'm a broke college student a month away from graduation, but I'm also a homeowner enjoying her first spring in her own house (er...  building).  I wanted to do something to spruce up the yard, but money is tight and I can barely justify buying potting soil.  Also, it's a hugely intimidating project and I had no idea where to start.  Luckily, someone on my local freecycle offered two boxes of empty wine bottles and I knew just what to do!  I've seen this on here before, I think, or somewhere in the vastness of the Internet, but I can't remember where.

So, it's not finished yet.  I need to collect more wine bottles.  That photo shows you that part that is finished.  I used brick to mark out where the rest of the wine bottles will go while I wait for freecycle to deliver more goodies.

This is right at the start of the project.  You can clearly see that I have a lot more work ahead of me.  The tree rings where a yard sale purchase last summer.

A little further along, before mulch.  I used newspaper instead of landscape fabric because landscape fabric costs money and newspaper is free.  The newspaper is also being reused and it's biodegradable.  I do need to spring for another bag of mulch.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need a house with a craft room!
panda
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009 07:38:51 PM »

I like your idea....you can check on craig's list.  There are posting for free stuff too.
Good luck...I can not wait to see the end project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009 07:45:10 AM »

Looks like you are well on your way in a beautiful project.  Just be careful you don't break any bottles.  Glass in dirt is messy. 

I love the look of it, and the newspaper actually does a better job of weed control than the landscape fabric.  Great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
alykorn

Crafting to annoy my husband.....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009 10:23:49 PM »

If you are patient then try for some seeds. Almost every gardener in the us will share some plants will you sometimes just to pass on the curse of what even is taking over their garden.Smiley Sometimes the commerail nurseries will sell their nelglected plants for 25 cents a plant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lotsofglue.blogspot.com/
I rant here and post my House Art Project.Look in the May posts.
Lunapooka
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009 05:22:09 PM »

I got more bottles.  Hooray for Freecycle!  I'm not sure when I'll have time to finish it, but I'll post pics when I do.

Thanks for the seed suggestion.  I did start a lot of seeds, most of them I bought from the dollar store for 10 cents a pack.  There's a great plant sale that the horticulture club of my community college does every April.  I was out of town for it this year, but I had my dad pick up a butterfly bush for me. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need a house with a craft room!
Wildfyre
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009 01:42:35 PM »

Check out gardening forums - I use Gardenweb and go to the trades section. Many times gardeners will give you seeds or cuttings for free or in exchange for postage. Also, Gardenweb has regional sections where local plant swaps etc are posted. Even if you have nothing to trade, go to the swap and start talking to people. Many are willing to "donate" a few plants to a newbie to help them get growing  Wink

If you are running low on mulch (and money) call local woodworking or cabinet making shops and ask for their sawdust. My husband's father makes cabinets for a living and all of the wood he uses is untreated (they treat it after the cabinets are built) so the sawdust is great for garden mulch Smiley

I'm not sure where you live.. but my Aunt in Oregon has a local recycling plant that takes all of their glass recyclables and crushes it into large chunks and then tumbles it. They then sell it as a cheap gravel alternative for landscaping. It's gorgeous in the sunlight and they guarantee it's barefoot safe  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nine-Year-Old Chef Whips Up The Perfect Omelet
Turkey Apple and Cheddar Grilled Cheese Recipe
Mother’s Day Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
Chorizo Nacho Bake Recipe
Pork Tenderloin Sliders Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...