A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
811 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wall-e themed birthday(ideas)  (Read 1923 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2009 05:10:45 PM »

My son is turning 4 and is in LOVE with Wall-e and Eve. 
This is the itinerary so far:

10:30- guests show up
11:00-11:30/45ish [seriously, they are 3/4/5yr olds and there are at least 7 of them... and then their parents... hopefully it doesn't take that long]- Build your own pizza
11:30/45ish-12:00/15ish- Place the plant in the Hollow Detector game  (like pin the tail on the donkey)
12:15-12:45 Eat our pizzas and cake
12:45-1:15 -Games  What kind of other Wall-e themed games can you all come up with? Is this too much, more games after lunch?
1:15-1:45- Gift opening.
2:00 home time.

Does anyone have any better ideas?  I'm going shopping on Tuesday and Have a few ideas for goodie bags.  I really don't like the ones full of junk, but then its hard to keep the price down.  Any sugestions for those? 
The cake is either going to be Wall-e or be wall-e related (yes I'm going to make it myself.)
I don't know otherwise.  Any other ideas would be appreciated! 

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009 01:59:08 PM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009 09:14:06 AM »

I would adjust your itinerary just a bit to keep the party to 2 1/2 hours long (just so you can account for their attention spans!).  I think you can make it:
10:30-11 - arrivals
11-11:30 - make pizzas
11:30-11:45 - plant game
11:45-12:15 - more games
12:15-12:30 - eat pizzas (you should be able to cook them in 2 shifts of about 20 minutes each)
12:30-1 - eat cake while birthday boy opens gifts
1 - go home
I think it'd be fun to serve a cake that looks like a giant Twinkie with a toy (or licorice) cockroach sitting on top.  It's totally gross, but also completely applicable and the young boys will love the eww factor.  It'd be a fun challenge too because the frosting (or ice cream) would be on the inside of the cake.  I would make a pinata that looks like EVE or one of the roly-poly humans.  Have strings for the kids to pull instead of letting them beat on it, though.  Fill it with Wall-E stickers and Earth-foil wrapped chocolate balls and Toxic Waste candes.  For favors in addition to that, you should give each kid a little seedling.  I bet at 50 cents a seedling and $5 or so for the pinata goodies (Dollar Store!) you spend just over $1 a kid for favors.  The pinata would probably also take 15 minutes, so you could get away with one more game.  I'd do something really simple that never gets old and doesn't cost a dime like Duck, Duck, Goose (maybe Wall-E, Wall-E, Auto or something similar).  Or perhaps Simon Says, but instead Wall-E Says and whoever is the leader has to talk in a roboty voice.  You could also play Musical Chairs with the Hello, Dolly song Wall-E loves so much. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009 09:52:05 AM »

Musical chairs to that song is brilliant!  He loves that song.
The twinkie cake is a really good idea.  Simple pound cake in a loaf pan.... How would I fill it with whipped cream..... that'd be the trick!    and the licorice cockroach I think would be tricky too...  I'll run that by my husband!
Is there a tutorial for a pinata with strings?  I'll google it too, but just incase I come up with nothing good, maybe you know a good Tute?

Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely be posting pics of the festivities and the crafty goodies I can come up with in 5 days !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009 02:55:16 PM »

Maybe you could just hollow out the middle of the cake with a long spoon from one side and inject the cream with a turkey baster.  Real Twinkies have the filling showing out of one side anyway.  I looked up photos of cockroaches for you (ugh!) and I think the most realistic looking one could be made from a date body and head with licorice whip legs.  My God, they are disgusting creatures.  Do you know how to make a pinata already?  I usually wing it since I've been making them for nearly 20 years now (!), but I think I like the tutorial at http://www.coolest-kid-birthday-parties.com/make-pinata.html best.  Stop at step 7 and continue with these directions:
* poke 1 hole in the flap and attach a long, colorful ribbon
* poke 10 or so more holes in the area surrounding the flap (make sure they're all in the same vicinity so it's not obvious which is the flap one) and attach a ribbon to each one
* seal the flap with glue/tape/something that will keep it shut, but will still give way after a hearty tug on the ribbon
When it's time for the pinata have the kids huddle up below the pinata and let them pull on the ribbons at the same time.  You can also do it one at a time from youngest to oldest, but if you make the ribbons long enough, they can all go at the same time and that might preemptively stop some whining about not getting a turn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009 03:21:55 PM »

awesome! thank you!  I do sort of know how to make a paper mache pinata,  Just need news print and a ballon and flour and water right?  I'll definintly have a good look at the link you posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Serenthia
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009 03:23:57 AM »

Hey there! I'm probably a bit too late now but I guess if anyone else is planning a Wall-e party here are some cool games ideas! I was searching for my own party theme and I came across this and remembered seeing this post! It is from this website: http://www.blisstree.com/sheknowsparties/fun-ideas-for-wall-e-party-activities/

Here are her ideas for some games:

"One of the main symbols in this movie was a lonely little plant Wall-E planted in an old shoe. Its a great time of the year to get clearance priced plants from your local nursery. Provide plants, potting soil, and an old sheet for the children to work on. Have everyone bring an old shoe (or container of their choice) to plant their flower in.

Hide a collection of junk and let the children go on a scavenger hunt to find items you have listed.
Set up clues, and let the children go on a junk treasure hunt.

Provide boxes and construction paper, let the children break up into teams to build a rocket ship or a robot based on one of the characters in the movie.

Round up some interesting junk and let the children build their own junk wind chimes like the chimes hanging in Wall-es pad.

Let the children build their own junk sculpture.

Play follow the robots command (like Simon Says)

Set up a series of clues in the back yard and have the children find their way back to planet earth."

I thought they were quite cute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009 07:25:09 AM »

those would have been great games!  I'll keep them in mind, if anyone else I know want s to do a wall-e party
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Turn and Carve Wood
The Art of Wood Carving
The Art of Eskisehir Stone Sculpting
How to Make Clay Pottery
How to Make Ceramic Art
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...