A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Green of Summer!  (Read 1084 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2009 12:49:23 PM »

So....I have a niece who I think is the cutest kid ever (what can I say, I'm biased) Unfortunately, I'm also the poor Aunt that can't spoil her as much as I'd like. However I did manage to find a ton of this green jersey material at Joann's for an insanely cheap price, I love their 50% off sales! However, what to make the Bailey Boop? I was wandering the dollar store the other day and found this little sundress which would be absolutely adorable on her, yet hideous because it's pink. The poor child got stuck with my skin tone and neither of us can wear pastels, but *lightbulb*. I bought the dress, took it home, and cut it up, drafted a pattern from it and came up with this:

Front:

back:

The white part is a really thin lining, I didn't want to double up on the jersey, she lives in florida and didn't want her to get too hot. And the bottom really isn't that crooked, its just how it was hanging.

Comments/Criticisms are welcome. This is my first time sewing for a child so it was trial and error. And I'll update as soon as I can get pictures of her wearing it! Also, I may post a tutorial for this if requested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purefairydust
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009 01:07:07 PM »

Cute sundress, you did a very nice job. If it fits her very nicely, you can make more sundresses. Remember kids love pockets and pockets easy to add on the next sundress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing machines: Universal KAB, Kenmore 150 385.19150090, Brother XL-3125, Brother LS-2000

Combo sewing and embroidery machine: Brother SE270D

Sergers: Sergemate Companion 5040, Simplicity Serge Pro
jj83
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009 01:14:24 PM »

so cute! would love to see the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009 05:47:10 PM »

Very nice!  Can't wait to see action pics!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009 05:47:29 PM by Padester » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BirdieSays
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009 07:20:15 PM »

You must promise action shots when you get them, because I am dying to see them! That picture on the hanger got me - I love the color and shape of your dress so much! I kind of did the gasp and heart-jump thing when I saw it. It's so simple, the lines, the plain color, and so perfect. It almost looks like it's on the wrong board - I would totally rock something like that, if it were a bit (okay, a lot) bigger. And the fact that it's jersey just makes it all the much better. Forget about being the poor aunt who can't spoil her. Your gifts are going to be the ones that she still adores as an adult. Trust me, I had a rich aunt as a child in the 80s, and I cringe every time I see a photo of the "spoiling" I got clothes-wise. Your niece will be able to look back (hopefully at the dress itself as well as pictures) and see something she can be proud of and smile over. Okay, yes, I'm gushing. Sorry, I love the dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
matuta

separated and now back again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009 09:13:33 PM »

I love it! And the green is very unique ... love it too! I would love to see a tute ... and I imagine that this would be a dress that you could probably make out of an adult large or XL t-shirt too! hmmmmm ... the possibilities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009 07:27:13 AM »

Thanks Everybody!  Grin I should have action shots in a few weeks, I'm sending the dress down with my parents when they go to visit next month.

I'll try to have the tute up asap. It's a very simple pattern and should easily be able to be re-sized. It also sews up very quickly! I'm also currently drafting the "adult size" pattern. I'm thinking of doing the elastic all the way around for under the bust, and eliminate the need for heinous bust darts!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ONE HAPPY MOMMA
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009 04:26:56 PM »

Oh, how simply beautiful.  I also would love to see a tute for this dress.  I think I may have the sundress you made your pattern from but I am totally a visual person.  Thanks for sharing! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tiph
~The Itsy-Bisty Spider is my Hero~

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009 05:21:00 PM »

Too cute!  I love the color too!  I would love to see a tute for this!  I'm interested in seeing an adult side too!  Great work!  I envy those that make their own patterns...I lack the patience to myself, lol!  I think I abuse the exclamation point, lol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fix Dry Brittle Nails
Megan Fox Admits to Loving Drugstore Beauty Products
Women Over 60 Model Marc Jacobs and NARS Beauty Ads
Are Gel Nails Safe?
Youth-Obsessed Fashion Brands Are Embracing The Beauty Of Aging
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...