A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A copycat kitty purse  (Read 1058 times)
Tags for this thread: jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lody
« on: April 26, 2009 08:50:43 AM »

That's a tiny fan grill on the zipper Cheesy

This bag is entirely copied from a purse I bought in a store--loved the shape, size, etc, but hated the color.  I just kept the front pockets off, because I don't ever use those kinds of pockets.  The shape is basically an a-line jordy, with little "flaps" on the top so the zipper can shut without making the top of the bag flat.  I didn't interface it because the blue microsuede fabric is reaaally thick as it is, I only ironed in a rectangle of iron-on fleece in the bottom to help it hold its shape/rectangular bottom.

I rarely embroider, so I'm quite proud of this Smiley  Although I must admit I made the pattern from an online graphic and traced it before embroidering XD

I *love* this lining fabric, so much. And I only have 3 meters of it Sad Well, even less now...can't get more, either. Sigh!

And a plain little pocket, holds my keys so they don't scratch up anything in the bag.

Here's what the original looks like--see, ugly color! I don't even get why they *make* stuff that color. Useless buckles, too. (actually, the color looks nicer here--irl it's a lot more washed out, "dirty" purple)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009 08:52:10 AM by Lody » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
CraftMomNancy
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009 12:07:05 PM »

Great bag. I like the style and love the color/fabric. It looks so soft,I wish I could touch it. LOL Nice job on the kitty too.
Nancy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009 12:19:00 PM »

Shocked
I want one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abachii
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009 03:03:59 PM »

its cute, its roomy, and the kitty looks perfect :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wtpdesigns
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009 03:43:05 PM »

they make stuff in that color for people like ME! lol your purse is adorable, but you're far too hard on the original lol i would love to find one like it... where'd ya get it and how much was it?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
artsygranny
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009 04:02:11 PM »

You made a lovely "copy"!  Although without the pockets, it looks nothing like the original, I think.  The lining you chose goes perfectly with it.

Another vote for the color of the original, one of my favorite colors....LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009 06:14:00 PM »

How funny - I was looking at the original purse and said man that's exactly what I need - hope she posts a link to the pattern but nope - it's the original...

Super job on it all around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009 07:22:23 PM »

Your new purse looks soft and touchable.  Very nice, really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
Lody
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009 02:02:04 AM »

wtpdesigns and artsygranny, I promise, the color is not as nice irl XD Sorry though, it's from Jennifer, a french (I think? XD) store.  Nothing too hard to do, though, it's a jordy bag-- here, I'll give you a quick paint tutorial.

First, make a pattern like that. Cut on the slanted lines, not on C.
For the top, the 1-2 cms less is because you want the top section to be equal to the width of the ba, which is 2x E, but there'll be a little extra space taken up by the zipper.  I made mine curved because I didn't want the top to be boxy, but if you hate zippers, do a straight across line--or, just cut straight between the two Es and close the bag with velcro or a button.
You need two linings and two outsides of this, and a strap WHICH IS AS WIDE AS THE TOP OF THE BAG, that is 2 times E. Otherwise it won't hang like this bag.  To assemble it, follow the jordy bag tutorial, but sew your zipper in when assembling the lining to the outer shell.  I used a separating zipper, which made it easier to deal with--it's just like another piece of fabric trapped between the two, but with a little metal edge XD.

Ask if anything isn't clear Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Menus for Your Games in Flash
How to Add a Foggy Effect to Your Images
A Photoshop Introduction
How to Setup Photoshop
How to Use the Magic Eraser in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...