A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ok, i've cut my jammie pants pattern but now things aren't matching up  (Read 1867 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McJulie-O
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009 08:18:41 PM »

@ mcjulie-o

yes I have heard of that pattern, I believe it is by simplicty and you can go to their website somehow (sewing 101 I think) and print out a 20+ pages and tape them together and get a free pattern that way, i also think the same pattern they are giving away for free can still be purchased in the stores on proper tissue paper.

I think, even though I have finished my project yet (was with the fam today so will finish tomorrow) that I will like the specific 2 front and 2 back pieces because perhaps I will get a better not super baggy fit as I would with just one pattern piece cut the same way twice?Huh

I think pajamas are SUPPOSED to be baggy.  Roll Eyes

I think Butterick 5153 is one of the one piece pants patterns (it's certainly a fast sew-up, according to the reviews on patternreviews.com)

I found a drawing of what the one piece looks like (although this is for a toddler pair of pants, you get the idea) http://www.wabisabibaby.com/blog/2008/easy-one-piece-pattern-for-pants-6-18-months-cloth-diaper-friendly-too/ and this is a tute for converting a two piece pattern to just one piece http://w38th.blogspot.com/2008/12/kids-1-seam-pajama-pants-from-regular.html and here is another sewist advocating the same thing http://www.homesteadgarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cgaker
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009 10:19:53 PM »

I know you've got this all sorted out now, but I just wanted to say I one of my first projects was long shorts that were cut out similarly to this, and I was SO confused at first about why one set was wider than the other... I also wasn't thinking in "3-D" and my mom had to explain it to me. I found the instructions confusing when I had it switched around in my brain, but once I got it, the instructions made perfect sense.

So, just wanted to say: you are not alone in being confused at this, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gemcraft
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009 07:54:22 AM »

IT all sounds very confusing to me - Im just starting out sewing and would love to see a pic when you have finished the pants - in my head i cant work out why crotch seams are rounded like that and not straight, maybe it makes more sense when you have the fabric in front of you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009 07:59:50 AM »

Gemcraft, if you take a regular pair of pants that you own, fold them in half, with the zipper part folded, one leg over the other, you'll see the curve of the rise there.  I think what's throwing you off is that it appears to curve outwards not inwards but when it's sewn together, the curve does infact curve inward to accomodate you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbethie
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009 12:31:27 PM »

I know you've got this all sorted out now, but I just wanted to say I one of my first projects was long shorts that were cut out similarly to this, and I was SO confused at first about why one set was wider than the other... I also wasn't thinking in "3-D" and my mom had to explain it to me. I found the instructions confusing when I had it switched around in my brain, but once I got it, the instructions made perfect sense.

So, just wanted to say: you are not alone in being confused at this, lol!

THANK YOU!  I know this was an easy peasy pattern but I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one confused! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbethie
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009 12:34:01 PM »

IT all sounds very confusing to me - Im just starting out sewing and would love to see a pic when you have finished the pants - in my head i cant work out why crotch seams are rounded like that and not straight, maybe it makes more sense when you have the fabric in front of you.

gemcraft, i will be finishing up the pants soon and just need to wait to hubby gets home so i can use the camera phone to take a pic Wink

The directions and fabric cuts totally made sense was I actually started doing rather than thinking Wink

And if you think about it a bit more, it should start to make sense that my jammie pattern has rounded crotch seams since in 3d our bodies are curvy and not like paper dolls.  hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Astica
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009 07:43:22 AM »

Glad to hear you've finished!  Cheesy
Just because of the way they go together, it's kind of odd doing it the first time, but then you catch on and can turn them out in much less time ><

" is it ok to clip into the seam allowance or in the future should i be clipping outward?"
I always do notches outward. If I cut into the fabric I know there's less of a chance of reviving an error if something does go wrong. Plus somtimes I cut my notches a bit longer, and if it's so long that it ends up past the seam allowance, then I know I'll end up with a tiny hole ><
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwormbethie
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009 12:32:32 PM »

thanks for that tip, i will definitely try clipping outward for my next project....

btw, finished jammies here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=302894.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Miley Cyrus Hair
How to Get Hollywood Glam Hair
How to Get a Side Ponytail
How to Get a Messy Ponytail
How to Get a High Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...