A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Riding the potty train!  (Read 1403 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 25, 2009 03:05:42 PM »

So my son K started showing serious interest in using the potty, so we went with it. I was talking with a friend and K was nearby. He heard the phrase "potty train" and he thought that was pretty darn cool. My kid loves all things trains. I'm not sure how to explain to a 26-month-old that it's not something he gets to ride, but it's still something he reeeeally wants to do. So I made him these.

back

Some details. I had to use the blue for contrast because the orange thread I have doesn't match.

I am in love with this stitch. The trim is just knit from a t-shirt.

They have the real "big boy" fly, not that he'd ever use it. The kid must be completely naked from the waist down or he can't pee.

I want to find some better-looking underwear elastic. I think I'm going to harvest the waistbands from DH's when they wear out in, ahem, other places.

The little underwear model

I find piles like this all over my house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparrowowl
Tutorial Contributor

shiny!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009 05:25:32 PM »

Tooo cute!  I get all my elastic at laceheaven.com, they are super cheap and have lots of nice lingerie elastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BirdieSays
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009 07:14:33 PM »

Oh! your post just cracked me up! The little underwear model did it, but that last picture of the 'I gotta pee!' pile is exactly what's all over my house, all the time. As for your idea of using daddy's old elastic, I've done it and, although it's a bit of a pain, my son absolutely LOVES having unders that match daddy's. I even harvest fabric from daddy's old ones for him, because he tends to require new ones when the legs start getting loose, so all the rest of the fabric is still in great condition, and this way the little man is totally daddy'd-out. He loves it, and I don't have to worry about finding good undie fabric, it's all done for me. I do really love the heli-print, though. I might have to keep my eyes open for some cute boy-ish fabric. My whole stinking stash is for girls, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissFae
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009 07:55:46 PM »

Ahahahaha! the piles are so familiar here too. I never thought of making my kids their underwear though :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dooney

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009 09:51:36 PM »

He's got pants of that fabric, and a blanket, and his little brother has pants and a hat. I got all that the fabric fairy had left because the little guy loves helicopters almost as much as he loves me, I think. I still have probably 3 yards left. I want to try boxer briefs next because that's what Daddy wears (he hates that I keep telling everyone that). Sparrowowl, thanks for the tip, I will check that out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mable Farms
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009 03:26:50 PM »

I remember the post of the pants! They were cute and the underpants are cute too! I think all little ones like to be naked while potty training. My daughter would leave a pile like the one in your picture and run to the back yard to pee on the lawn! Kids! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Christinadavinci
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009 07:53:43 AM »

Those are awesome!  Even though I haven't had the honor of having the piles all over the place, LOL!!  My 2.5 yr old is potty trained and we have a stash of unused pull ups that we are trying to get rid of.  Would you mind showing me how you made those?  I really would appreciate it.  Such a super cool idea!

Chris
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dooney

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009 05:52:55 PM »

http://underwear.sew-ing.com/brief.html
You print out both pattern pieces and tape them together, then place the long side against a fold. So you have just one piece of fabric. It's really simple but it looks hard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeagleMommy
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009 08:40:05 AM »

That's some great looking undies!
And my 26 month old thinks the potty train is something like the train Frosty the Snowman rides to the North Pole on!  Grin
I have tried to explain it to her, but it's not going well.
BTW, you have a very cute little one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dooney

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009 01:44:13 PM »

thanks! I should add that I traced the pattern off my screen instead of printing it out. It made approximately a size 4T.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop Express Beta - Software Review
Adobe Photoshop CS4 Icons - Software Review
How to Create Gallery Image Part 2/2
How to Make an Unbelievable Image in Photoshop
How to Enhance a Dandelion Image in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...