A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I don't want any more menus crammed into my door!!  (Read 6753 times)
Tags for this thread: sign  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Slue-Foot Sue
« on: April 25, 2009 02:15:17 PM »

Because I don't want any more menus or other junk crammed into my door, I made this painted wooden door sign. None of my seasonal wreaths or wall hangings really make sense right now. I asked myself, self, what message would you like to give all year long? I decided on this. If it works, I'll let you know. Probably they will stay the same or even increase.

Oh and I live in an apartment. I don't have some beautiful house that I'm mucking up with such unwelcoming signs! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009 02:23:38 PM »

Unwelcoming or not, I've been thinking about making one of these for my own house.  I'm so sick of the lawn care/electricians/plumbers/pizza stuff hanging stuff on my door! 

I love the font you used too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanderlust

Love never fails

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009 03:02:07 PM »

Me either! I hate chinese food menus!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is patient, Love is kind, It does not envy; it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude it is not self-seeking it is not easily angered it keeps no record of wrongs. love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth It always protects always trusts, always hopes, always perserveres
abssinth
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009 03:16:47 PM »

I agree - unwelcoming or not, I'm putting serious considertion into creating one of my own.  The shape, colors, and script you used are nice - they lend themselves to being non-offensive.

I have to share this little story of my own; it's somewhat related to the unsolicited/unwelcomed nature of others.  Shortly after moving into my home, I had to do something drastic - put up a fence - to keep every neighborhood dog from defecating on my lawn and every stray passerby from cutting across it (I own a corner lot).  Not to mention keeping the neighborhood children from picking all of my flowers.  *grrrr*   Angry  To compound the first reason for my fence, those neighbors that were so pet-considerate to walk their canine companions, were not so neighbor-considerate.  I actually caught one woman allowing her dog to defecate just below the front stoop.  When I confronted her about it immediately thereafter, she got very aggressive toward me.  So up went the fence.  Within a day or so of the posts being set and the panels being screwed in place, I walked around the property to admire my hard work, and noticed pee stains on the corners of the fencing.  Sure enough, the not-so-neighborly neighbors were allowing their critters to urinate on the fence...  I was none to happy.  So, within days, I had created signs and nailed them to the corners of the fence, one reading "No Peeing On The Fence", and another "We Don't Pee On Your Things, Don't Pee On Ours".  It has actually kept the mongrels from walking their dogs on our side of the street.   Grin  Drastic, one might say, but affective!  But I have to say, mine were neither as nicely created or none-offensive as yours.  (Mine were done on scraps of picketing and with red paint.  I know, drastic.)  BTW - I'm not anti-pet/kid/neighbor.  I have two Shelties of my own, and love most of my neighbors - the considerate ones with considerate children, that is.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LittleWolf
Silversmith

Follow me, I'm lost too

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009 03:38:01 PM »

Sorry to hear about the propaganda on your door. Good choice making it nice and visible enough.

I wouldn't consider such a sign rude since a lot of the people distributing the papers get paid to do so. I live in between two competing churches, various eatieries and supermarkets and it is not unusual to get a little too much mail or a really long sermon...

It was worse during the presidential elections. My door was full of stickers someone rudely slapped on, and my porch and yard was littered with propaganda. As soon as I closed my door someone would knock right away asking me to vote for their candidate. I'd would just said I would to make them go away, but they kept coming back. =(

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lobster..!
Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009 03:43:31 PM »

Love the sign!  My house came with one of those tiny metal No Soliciting signs and it does not work.  I may have to swipe your idea and use it for solicitors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for this knit Death Flake hat

Wists
Etsy
twobluestripes
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009 03:47:16 PM »

This is a good idea. I should make one for my apartment, as well as one for my car! I'm so sick of flyers all over my windshield, what a waste of paper!

I have to share this little story of my own; it's somewhat related to the unsolicited/unwelcomed nature of others.  Shortly after moving into my home, I had to do something drastic - put up a fence - to keep every neighborhood dog from defecating on my lawn and every stray passerby from cutting across it (I own a corner lot).  Not to mention keeping the neighborhood children from picking all of my flowers.  *grrrr*   Angry  To compound the first reason for my fence, those neighbors that were so pet-considerate to walk their canine companions, were not so neighbor-considerate.  I actually caught one woman allowing her dog to defecate just below the front stoop.  When I confronted her about it immediately thereafter, she got very aggressive toward me.  So up went the fence.  Within a day or so of the posts being set and the panels being screwed in place, I walked around the property to admire my hard work, and noticed pee stains on the corners of the fencing.  Sure enough, the not-so-neighborly neighbors were allowing their critters to urinate on the fence...  I was none to happy.  So, within days, I had created signs and nailed them to the corners of the fence, one reading "No Peeing On The Fence", and another "We Don't Pee On Your Things, Don't Pee On Ours".  It has actually kept the mongrels from walking their dogs on our side of the street.   Grin  Drastic, one might say, but affective!  But I have to say, mine were neither as nicely created or none-offensive as yours.  (Mine were done on scraps of picketing and with red paint.  I know, drastic.)  BTW - I'm not anti-pet/kid/neighbor.  I have two Shelties of my own, and love most of my neighbors - the considerate ones with considerate children, that is.   Wink

I think you might be a genius! I will keep this in mind for the future when I look forward to owning my own house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Slue-Foot Sue
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009 05:42:22 PM »

BTW - I'm not anti-pet/kid/neighbor.  I have two Shelties of my own, and love most of my neighbors - the considerate ones with considerate children, that is.   Wink
I know what you mean. I wouldn't consider myself anti-pet, but I'm ready to start setting (humane) traps for some of these roaming cats.

When it comes to signs, since painting this one was so much fun, I'm considering another. I'm thinking one that is mildly insulting. I hate when people go out of the entrance gate to my apartment complex. There is one entrance, and one exit, if you do it backwards it really messes everyone up. So I don't know what it will say yet, but it needs to be on a stick so that I can stick it in the grass. I don't know how I became a cranky old lady so quickly.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009 05:43:50 PM by Slue-Foot Sue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dip_n_dot
T.L.D.G*

Skate & Destory

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009 08:51:08 PM »

I so need this every time someone gets delivery they leave their flyers and its annoying....I may have to borrow this idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist<3
i <3 Personal Swaps!

Crochet Challenge go vote!
Slue-Foot Sue
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009 08:53:20 PM »

Everyone can borrow the idea. If you find any combination of colors or phrases that actually works, let me know. So far it is working but it has only been up a few hours. Next week while I am at work will be the true test.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get a H&M Wedding Dress for $100
Hot Off the Red Carpet Prom Picks
Lawrence Zarian on Shapewear Dangers
How to Style a Casual School Outfit
Would You Wear This Outfit on Spring Break?
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...