A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,370
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: nightshade allergies  (Read 8181 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cjssana
« on: April 24, 2009 08:44:51 AM »

We recently discovered my husband has a terrible nightshade allergy...he's been living with this for all his life and would regularly stop eating for a day or two every week because it would get so bad. 

He's allergic to--bell peppers, most other peppers (except black pepper and I think white pepper, although we haven't tested that out), tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, PAPRIKA (you'd be amazed at how many things have paprika--mustard, miracle whip, many breads from fast food chains, most breaded chicken). 

I've noticed alot of foods also have potato starch in them--but he seems to tolerate that better than anything else.  His diet right now is really just cereal, eggs, boiled/breaded chicken, pesto pizza, salmon, sometimes pasta with an olive oil/garlic sauce...and that's really it.  (we even tried tuna--all the canned tuna we've found is packaged in vegetable broth--I'm guessing the last one had bell peppers somehow associated with it, bad results, even after we rinsed it...they use vegetable broth in some deli meats too).  He doesn't like oily foods too much--so fried foods are mostly out.

I found a recipe for a fake tomato sauce which I'll try once we get back to the states and have a food processor, but in the meantime I hoped some of you creative geniuses might have some meal/recipe ideas for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
auroravioletta
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009 06:14:57 PM »

Hi,

I have a mild potato allergy, so I can give you a couple of tips, if not actual recipes. (My cooking = lame).

1) Check ingredient lists for "modified food starch." It gets me every time.
2) Buy tuna packed in oil. It's out there, though it may be more expensive. I don't remember the name of the brand I usually get, but the label is a goldish brown color and it's "high end." It is also much much tastier. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

......................................I like bunnies!
cjssana
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009 02:51:47 PM »

Thanks for the tips, I had given up on tuna but I'll just look a little harder  Smiley

and we'll have to add the food starch to the list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
auroravioletta
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009 05:21:49 PM »

Also, check the ingredients on EVERYTHING. I know you probably always do this anyway, but man, every time I slip, there's always something in it to make me sick. I took for granted that some juice I wanted would be okay, and that's how I found out about the modified food starch!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

......................................I like bunnies!
rossie
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009 09:13:36 PM »

Arthritis sufferers often find foods from the nightshade family cause terrible flare ups, so you might find ideas online by looking in that direction.

Pizza made with cheese sauce rather than tomato based sauces is delicious, and particularly good with steak and mushrooms.  Also try spinach, pine nuts and very thin slices of steamed pumpkin.  Try pasta sauces made from light evaporated milk for a creamy taste without the fat content - makes for a nice alfredo!  Asian stir-fries might be good too, just watch what's in any bought sauces/seasonings (especially anything with tamarillo hiding in it) 

I recently had to cut out almost all nightshade veg in my diet, as well as anything acidic like citrus, strawberries, etc... that arthritis thing.  It's a pain for the first few weeks but you'll get the hang of cooking without tomatoes, potatoes, etc.  Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
BrightestCreations
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009 06:24:19 AM »

One recipe that comes to mind that I made recently is mac and cheese. It has the pasta, cheese, all sorts of stuff that it sounds like he could eat. Tortellini would be good too.

You can also make your own mustard from scratch, leaving out anything that he can't have.

Try also looking at the stuff they sell at Trader Joes if you have one near by. Their stuff generally doesn't have a lot of random scary/unknown ingredients in them like regular markets.

Potatoes are in the night shade family?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GigglingPagan
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009 03:23:40 PM »

Try substituting a little bit of orange juice mixed with flour for stuff that calls for tomato paste/sauce, and season with whatever your choice of spices happens to be. I do this all the time when making chili, and it turns out AWESOME! Some people might find this too sweet.

How about breakfast pizza? Skip the sauce, and just eggs and cheese or meat.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftnutz
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009 12:56:38 PM »

We recently discovered my husband has a terrible nightshade allergy...he's been living with this for all his life and would regularly stop eating for a day or two every week because it would get so bad. 

He's allergic to--bell peppers, most other peppers (except black pepper and I think white pepper, although we haven't tested that out), tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, PAPRIKA (you'd be amazed at how many things have paprika--mustard, miracle whip, many breads from fast food chains, most breaded chicken). 

I've noticed alot of foods also have potato starch in them--but he seems to tolerate that better than anything else.  His diet right now is really just cereal, eggs, boiled/breaded chicken, pesto pizza, salmon, sometimes pasta with an olive oil/garlic sauce...and that's really it.  (we even tried tuna--all the canned tuna we've found is packaged in vegetable broth--I'm guessing the last one had bell peppers somehow associated with it, bad results, even after we rinsed it...they use vegetable broth in some deli meats too).  He doesn't like oily foods too much--so fried foods are mostly out.

I found a recipe for a fake tomato sauce which I'll try once we get back to the states and have a food processor, but in the meantime I hoped some of you creative geniuses might have some meal/recipe ideas for me!

Where are you living right now?  I have never seen tuna packed in vegetable broth, only water or oil. 

I have a recipe I love - Saute a little onion in a pan then add a fish filet (I use tilapia) and pan sear for a couple of minutes, when you turn it over, cover it with fresh spinach and put the lid on the pan.  The spinach will wilt as the fish cooks and gets a little crunchy on the edges.  Sprinkle on some freshly grated parmesean cheese and enjoy.  Could be served with a salad, or fruit, or rice or pasta.

There is a great website epicurious.com that you can do an advanced search and put in the ingredients you want to work with, and it will find recipes that use those ingredients.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog for tutorials and lots of fun stuff.  http://frommycarolinahome.wordpress.com
cjssana
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009 12:17:39 PM »

Thanks for all the ideas!
Oh, the tuna on the front of the can says packed in oil/water, but if you read the ingredients both will actually say vegetable broth (I'm temporarily living in the Caribbean, when I get back to the states there may be more variety but bumblebee tuna and the local brands all say vegetable broth in the ingredient list).

Orange juice/flour? Sounds a little sweet for me, but interesting enough that I'll have to try it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nonightshade
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010 06:10:13 PM »

Hello,

In the last 8mos or so I have narrowed my joint stiffness down to nightshade allergy and have a reaction everytime I slip (because I love tomato sauce so much : (

I work for Trader Joes and we have an awesome yellowfin tuna in oil for $1.99.  You really don't need to mix it with anything but I do mix a little bit of our mayo which is nightshade free.

I eat a lot of sweet potatoes/yams with butter & salt/pepper and a little sour cream - nice alternative to a baker.  They are also really good thickly sliced and sauteed with some herbs, etc.

Trader joes also has a few cooked sausages that do not have paprika in them (garlic herb, fontina spinach).

For tacos - I  add a lot of cumin and sometimes cilantro, lime, corn, beans, onion, garlic and a seafood seasoning a have that has black pepper, salt, parsley, garlic, white onion, lemon peel, green peppercorns, and green onions.

For guacamole - avacado, a splash of olive oil, onion, cilantro, S&P, cilantro, and lime.  yummy!

I will probably have more later, but look forward to reading about everyones different recipes on this page.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spa Treatment That Slims You Down Instantly
How to Contour the Pounds Away
Smoky Eye and Bold Lip Makeup Tutorial
5 Beauty Tools That Will Make Your Life Way Easier
VF NEWS: Anthony Vaccarello Spring/Summer 2015 - Paris Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...