A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,136
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to Get "Perfect Shapes" for blocks???  (Read 1365 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PepsiTwist
« on: April 23, 2009 07:15:00 PM »

Ok, I have tried over and over again to cut a perfect shape (typically a square) using rulers and have had no luck they all end up wonky and not squareish.

I was on Ebay just browsing and found this person's store:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Quiltessentials_One-Patch-Cut-Outs_W0QQ_fsubZ14QQ_sidZ78018715QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

They have many acrylic templates for supposedly making cutting out the shapes super easy. My question is, do they work all that well or would it be a waste of money?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009 03:31:38 AM »

do you use a rotary cutter and mat? that would help out the most...pretty accurate. Also if you do, just cut one at a time. I sometimes stack my fabric and they dont turn out as perfect as I like Smiley im not sure about a template...never used one...let me know how they go if you buy one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cookn
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009 05:19:52 AM »

There are many things that can mess up in cutting blocks, usually it's technique. How are you cutting them ? Are they cut on the bias, long grain, or cross grain ? are you pressing or ironing them before or after ?

There can also be problems with the mate between you and your equipment. I rotary cut just about everything, but have found out recently that "Omni-Grip" rulers and I aren't a good match. They are marked well but but because they have lots of markings, I didn't actually line up exactly the same every time. If you are just a a 1/32 of an inch off in your cutting by the time you multiply that error by the number of squares you have across and down a quilt, by the end it's all screwed up. If you iron blocks after making they can distort and lose their shape, make sure that you are just pressing. There is a difference. Depending on where the fabric is going in the finished quilt dictates how I cut it, most blocks I cut are from the fabric cut cross grain, in strips using a rotary cutter and ruler. Borders and sashing is cut from the long grain, IMO it looks better that way, no seams from piecing it. Binding is cut on the bias in one long strip no matter how long it is.

If you are making 3 1/2 inch blocks, using a regular square rotary cutting ruler, after you've aligned your fabric and cut a true rectangular strip, cut a 4 inch strip of fabric cross grain, rotate and align again and finish cutting your 4 inch blocks. With the same ruler align the fabric with one 90 degree corner at the intersection of where 3 1/2 and 3 1/2 inches meet, you should have one side of your block on the vertical 3 1/2 inch line and the other on the horizontal 3 1/2 inch line. You should have 1/2 inch hanging out on two sides, trim that off and you should have a perfect 3 1/2 inch square block. Any errors in cutting are resolved when you make the block over size and then trim to correct size. It's an extra step, but they are the right size and perfectly square if you've done it right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009 05:31:19 PM »

I've bought some template sheets and made my own templates and that works well for certain things. I too have a little trouble with the rotary cutter if I'm cutting more than basic strips. I just bought lined and unline template sheets at Joann's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
PepsiTwist
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009 09:06:16 PM »

wow, a lot more complicated than I imagined. I'm using a Fiskar mat and rotary cutter, I like both pretty well I just have a hard time keeping things staying still and not moving everywhere, I think next time I will cut long strips then cut out the squares, it should save me some time and sanity, plus its more likely to be accurate. I feel like a loser. lol. Well I will eventually see how that goes, I have four days worth of 5 AP classes to make up, talk about a lot of work (I have an 11.5% TOTAL in my AP Economics class!!! and I'm a straight A student third in my class!) Anyways once I get caught up and all I'll see how it goes and I will probably eventually get the beetle one cuz it is just soo cute!! LOL Grin

Thanks for all the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009 09:24:26 PM »

I always make my pieces about a 1/4" bigger than called for and then trim the "finished" block to the real finished size. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
b16aGirl
If you see me wandering the streets staring at the sky, remind me that clouds aren't quilted.

I got nuthin.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009 12:48:13 PM »

This sounds a little crazy, but it works like nobody's business, but only for cotton and natural fibers.

Laser cutter.

At my work we have one and I have no idea how I quilted without one. They can cut with more precision than a person (obviously, they're LASERS!) and it's so quick I almost feel guilty. So check your area and see if anyone (trophy shop, prototyping place, etc) has a laser etcher they will let you access for a small fee. They have a computer program so you can cut any shape and makes applique nightmares a thing of the past.

So there is my high tech answer, but seriously, search them out. And don't worry about them catching fire, just ask the shop owners to set it up for you. Then you can just watch it work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a beautiful day!
KittyGram
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009 01:28:39 PM »

You mentioned that you have a hard time keeping things staying still and not moving - there's this plastic stuff that I got for the back sides of all my rulers, I can't remember what it's called (other quilters, help me out here!!!) but it's like the plastic that's used for parking permit stickers and such - it sticks, but it's not sticky.  It gives your rulers a non-skid, non-slip underside. 

Also, when I'm using my bigger rulers, like my 6 X 24, I usually hold it down with my entire left forearm while I cut w/ my right hand.  There's no chance of it moving then!!!  Another trick is, if you are right  handed, to spread out your fingers on your left hand and press down FIRMLY on the ruler, cut with your right hand, then when you get to about even with where your left hand it, without moving the rotary cutter at all, just very carefully move your left hand up a few inches on the ruler.  Again, very carefully, as to not move the ruler at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lhirsche
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009 08:30:13 PM »

Practise, practise, practise!!!  I couldn't cut anything straight at first either.  One day I found small sandpaper dots with adhesive on the back, so I put those between the markings on my basic ruler and it made a tremendous!!!difference. 
Just keep at it and soon you will be a pro.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009 10:12:08 AM »

One thing that I have found is that my fabric will pull on the bias as I move the ruler, lay the fabric out, etc....so I have started starching the end I have to cut before I lay it out. I hang it up with weights on the corners (clothespins x5) and starch the end, let it dry, then iron it crisp and cut from there. It's amazing how much more accurate your cutting can be!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy And Delicious Thanksgiving Side Dishes
How to Make a Thanksgiving Feast for Under $50
Enthusiasts Brave Cold Weather For Amazing Sandwiches
4 Non-Traditional Thanksgiving Sides
How to Make Creamy Pumpkin Fondue
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...