A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mother Goddess Nature Offering Bowl/ tea light holder (Pic CHUBBY!)  (Read 885 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 23, 2009 06:24:12 PM »

I did this for a recent swap, and can't wait to make one for myself! I am so pleased with how she turned out. I was inspired by a tree stump hehehe. I've seen others like her, but I have to say I like how I did mine with the shimmer Smiley (Not that I'm bragging LOL, I'm just so proud of her!!) She is hand sculpted from the super sculpy,  (the kind that comes in the box that is flesh colored), over a tinfoil base. Then hand painted with acrylics and glazed over with a satin glaze. I used some bronzing fluid in with the paint, to give her a healthy earthy type shimmer. She is about 6 inches high, and about 4 inches wide. Excuse all the pictures Smiley I got a bit crazy. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
kraftingwithkristy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009 07:29:54 PM »

I love this
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009 08:05:41 PM »

that's such a nice design Smiley the shimmer does add a good touch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009 10:50:46 AM »

Very nice feel and look to that piece. .  .I know your swapper will be thrilled!

(You might want to warn her though against using it as a tea light holder unless the candle is in or on a heatproof surface since it wouldn't be good to take a chance on burning the clay and/or sealer which would make a nasty smell and black smoke.)

Have you tried using the ScuperSculpey-Firm for sculpts this big?  It's stronger than SuperSculpey, and I think it's supposed to take paint better too (it's gray and comes in a packet).

Diane B.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009 11:29:53 AM »

Very nice feel and look to that piece. .  .I know your swapper will be thrilled!

(You might want to warn her though against using it as a tea light holder unless the candle is in or on a heatproof surface since it wouldn't be good to take a chance on burning the clay and/or sealer which would make a nasty smell and black smoke.)

Have you tried using the ScuperSculpey-Firm for sculpts this big?  It's stronger than SuperSculpey, and I think it's supposed to take paint better too (it's gray and comes in a packet).

Diane B.

I told her to use the tealights that come in their own little container and not the loose ones Smiley
I haven't ever seen that kind of sculpey, I will have to look online for it! The Super Sculpey did end up taking quite a few coats of paint to cover it. It just didn't seem to want to be on there lol. Thanks Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009 03:33:49 PM »

That is absolutely lovely. Lucky, lucky swap partner.
I think I'd use mine to hold rose petals or potpourri or something and avoid the whole candle issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009 09:25:17 AM »

I told her to use the tealights that come in their own little container and not the loose ones...

The metal cups could heat up enough to make a baking-polymer smell when the hot wax gets really low though (try it to see). She could also use one of the tiny glass bowls (from Bed, Bath, Beyond, etc.) used for individual portions of salt or for mis en place for cooking, sitting it in the goddess' "lap" and putting the candle in the bowl (glass is a better insulator than metal too).
Heating clear finishes can also result in some yellowing of the finish, especially over time and for some types, though you might not notice that on dark brown.  Some types could also bubble over time with sufficient heat?

I haven't ever seen that kind of sculpey, I will have to look online for it!

You should be able to find it at Michaels.  It's hanging up on the wall though in a pouch near the clay, not in a rectangular package in the regular display stands like most of the polymer clay or in boxes on the bottom shelves.

The Super Sculpey did end up taking quite a few coats of paint to cover it. It just didn't seem to want to be on there lol.

There's some info on preparing polymer clay when one wants to paint over it on this page at my site if you want to check it out:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/paints.htm
...click on the very first category, Preparing the Clay for painting on top

Diane B.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009 09:31:28 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vitamins to Add to Your Beauty Routine
Everyday Glam: Get a Sunkissed Look
Everyday Glam: Get Glowing
How To Remove Blackheads
Why Gel Nails May Be Bad For You
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...