A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the endlessly futile gift search for my not so girly mother....  (Read 4196 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2009 01:09:42 PM »

I have a weird mother. She isn't girly. She rarely wears jewelry, she doesn't like to dress up, she hates shopping, her photo albums are empty... you see where I'm going with this, right?

Maybe this is just my situation, but I get uber-annoyed when I go to look for ideas and every website suggests perfume, jewelry, and flowers.

That is not to say I haven't pulled that card. I've done flowers. I've done her favorite candy. I've even Bath and Body Works-ed it up many many times.

My issue is that I hate these cliche things!

To make matters worse, my older sister is the queen of gift giving. She's closer to my mom (she's got 10 years on me, so it's understandable), and she steals all the good ideas!!!

I think of making my mom soap or candles, she does it at Christmas. I think of making my mom a quilt, she plans a memory quilt with pictures of my mom and my late grandfather and great grandmother (her dad and grandma). She is just too good!

I can't say that I'm upset about it, b/c I'm glad my mom gets cool gifts, but I really want to do something cool for a change!

I'm willing to take any suggestions, as long as they aren't your typical gift ideas

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009 09:18:11 PM »

How about a recipe scrapbook of your favorite family recipes.  I am doing this for our family for Christmas.  I am taking photos of the dish after I make it or pics of my kids eating the dish.  Then Im going to make a pretty scapbook with the recipes, cute stories, photos, ect. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  -ee cummings
aphie
Botticelli Babe

No narrow-hipped nymphet, I'm a Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009 01:54:25 AM »

Sounds like the bar has been set really high, and you need to get your Mum something particularly about her interests. Why don't you ask your sister if she can help you think of something? (That's what I'd do - cheat! Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
I do personal swaps - PM me!
grammar_gremlin
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009 07:02:27 PM »

I'm not sure what to tell you, but I'm listening.  My mom is really practical and not super girly either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thorn
Bewaaare, the grooove...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009 11:42:56 AM »

Anything practical that you put your own touch on would be good.  Like some etched glasses with her favorite flower/animal/symbol or a monogram on them.  Or a small herb garden for her windowsill.  If she likes to cook you could get her a useful kitchen instrument. 

Pretty much every mom loves old family photos (even if she doesn't put them together herself).  You could put together a small scrapbook/memory journal with pictures and memories from your childhood.

Just focus on what your mom DOES like (gardening, movies, music, cooking, books, whatever) and go from there.  For instance, my mom isn't super girly, but one thing I know she loves is books.  So sometimes I try to find a special copy of a book that I know she loves or sometimes a better (hard cover, not falling apart) copy of one she already has.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.'"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pancake Recipes for National Pancake Day
Why Are People Clamoring For The Polish Pastry Puczkis?
How to Make Fannie Farmer’s 1896 Brownies Recipe
How to Bake a Category 5 Hurricane Cocktail Cake
Sunny Anderson’s Fake-Out Beignets
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...