A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,657
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Laptop Bag- Messenger Bag Style - IDEAS?! HELP?  (Read 929 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dmbgirl41
« on: April 23, 2009 07:28:40 AM »

I made this bag for my friend for her birthday. It is for her laptop. Its padded with 1/2" foam. I put pockets in front under the flap to hold the mouse & the power cord.

I'm really proud of this bag because I thought of the design & made it without any pattern or anything. I really worked hard on it & tried to make it perfect. And it come out awesome, as far as looks go.

That being said, I'm completely bummed out because I never got to actually see the laptop & used her measurements & I would have liked to model it around her actual laptop. But anyway, it seems to be very tight. I guess the height is ok, but the length is not. Its too short. I told her to try & wear it in a little, so maybe it would stretch. My other thought was to rip it all apart *big sigh* & try & sew the sides together again, a little closer to the edge? ugh.
Anyone have any stress saving wonder ideas?!?! Sad Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Sweet you Rock & Sweet You Roll~*
PurseStuff
Purse Stuff - Paula

Handcrafted Purses & Purse Accessories

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009 10:24:05 AM »

First off - your bag is wonderful. You should be very proud of this computer bag. Great choice in fabric and lining and your workmanship is Superb.  What a lucky friend you have!

Second - The lesson learned here is to bundle together books, magazines, newpapers, etc to the specks we are designing for. That way we can use our "bundles" to confirm size & useability (is that a word !?!?!  )

Next,  You write:  But anyway, it seems to be very tight. I guess the height is ok, but the length is not. Its too short  end quote

I'm confused by this statement.  Which is too short?  The Height of the bag or the Width of the bag? 

Ripping out seams and re-doing may not give you enough to play with for a good fit, depending on how much to small the bag is.  How deep of a seam did you take in the side of the bag?  Is there enough fabric allowance to get the job done?

If it is height, you might be able to put some kind of trim or band around the top of the bag.  I suspect this is not the problem or the solution.

I'll bet I haven't helped you one bit.  I feel so bad for you.  Maybe someone else will pop in and have some great solutions.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purse Stuff - Paula
www.PurseStuff.com
http://pursestuff.blogspot.com
Facebook - Purse Stuff
dmbgirl41
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009 01:18:50 PM »

Ahhhh but you did help! I have no idea why I didn't try to "Create" a laptop to use for measurement. Like the magazine Idea you gave me! I shall do that next time.

The bag is not wide enough.  Sad

I think I gave myself a 1/2" seam. So if that's the case I'm going to try & make it a 1/4" seam so that, I can give the width of the bag another 1/2" all together. Make sense?

Thanks for the compliment too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurseStuff
Purse Stuff - Paula

Handcrafted Purses & Purse Accessories

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009 06:48:04 PM »

You are most welcome for the compliments.
Rest assured, I don't say things unless I believe them to be true. :-)

Before you go to the hassell of trying to gain 1/2", we need to know how much too small the bag is.  What's the sense of gaining 1/2" if we need 1-3/4"? 

If you need more than 1/2", can you add an insert/panel of some sort to the bag to make it work?

Still have my thinking cap on.  Don't hold your breath.  Sometimes my thinking cap runs out of ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purse Stuff - Paula
www.PurseStuff.com
http://pursestuff.blogspot.com
Facebook - Purse Stuff
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009 07:54:49 AM »

Great looking bag.  If you're going to take it apart, consider adding a gusset.  And if you don't have enough of the fabric you already used, try using a contrasting fabric.

You did a good job on the bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009 08:06:39 AM »

Very nice bag. I just wanted to let you know that I made a laptop bag for my daughter & I measured - it came out too snug. She did use it & eventually it did stretch, so hopefully hers will stretch enough to fit. If not, I would suggest a gusset too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dmbgirl41
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009 08:29:11 AM »

Thank you all for your help & suggestions! I got a chance to see the laptop & bag together this weekend. I've decided its about 1" too short. The laptop actually measures 15" long, and the bag is like 15.5" long. I think with the foam padding, it doesn't give it enough room to wiggle. So I am going to rip it apart *sigh* and add sort of extender pieces in the same fashion that I did the rest of the bag. I think I will add pieces that are like 1/2" in. on either side which should give it a total of 1" more room. I think that it will actually look good because the flap is a little wider than the bag itself & the strap kinda makes it go in, so it will lay more flat this time. In college one of my professors told me that if you "mess up" on a piece, instead of trying to "fix" it, try to incorporate it into the piece. I think I will take her advice, as I often have done since then, and try to make the additions seem like they were meant to be there all along & incorporate it into the design of the bag. I will post pics of the *improved* bag when I finish! Thanks again for your encouragement! You are all too sweet  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sbergeron00
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009 08:38:49 PM »

Way to go with the laptop bag. it is lovely. I like the idea of adding the side pieces. If you make it a bit more than the 1/2 in on each side it would give room to slide some papers or a magazine in side along with the computer. I know that I usually end up needing to carry a bit more when I use my laptop bag.

Love your fabric choices too. Way to go. Please share photos when you are all finished!

cheers,
Stephanie
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009 08:39:49 PM by sbergeron00 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adding Finishing Touches to Your Chalk Drawing
Adding Shadow and Depth to Your Chalk Drawing
Placing Color on Your Chalk Drawing
Using and Blending Color for Your Chalk Drawing
How to Create a Preliminary Layout of Your Chalk Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...