A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 301,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random SPINNY babble thread :-)  (Read 18268 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2009 07:15:12 PM »

So I bought my first Phat Fiber box this weekend, and in doing so, I opened a can of worms. Here's what my thought process did -

"Oh, next month's theme is Masquerade Ball! I have the PERFECT idea for that! I should totally send in some samples for next month's box! Maybe something with a little bit of bamboo, I like bamboo... I don't have bamboo, but I like it... Oh, but if I send in samples, I'll have to have a shop set up. *goes to zibbet and makes a shop* Okay, that's done. Nothing for sale yet, but that's okay. Wait, no, it's not okay! If I send in samples, I have to have it for sale in my shop in case someone wants to buy it! So I'll have to have at least a few ounces of it dyed up... And having just bfl would be way too boring. I need more fiber! Well, I guess I can use that scottish blackface that's coming in soon, and maybe I can upcycle some other things to use with it, too, but eventually I'm going to need more fiber, which means I need money. And since I can't find a job for the life of me, how on earth am I going to make money to get the supplies for all of this? I guess I could keep using AdSense, and maybe add a paypal donation button. Maybe I can start knitting things with handspun for people at church. I'll make some money that way... And it wouldn't be too good to have just one item listed in my store! I'll have to make some other things, too! And they'll probably sell pretty quickly, since I don't have a ton of fiber and a ton of space to dye or anything, so it'll probably only be enough for maybe three or four sales... I'm going to need a drum carder eventually, if I keep doing this. And a wheel, too. I'll just use the bathtub for washing stuff. No one ever uses that bathtub anyway. I need to get to work! I need to have someplace to do all of this, a studio, since mom won't let me put a spinning wheel in the family room--- Oh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no. This means I have to clean my room."

This has been a look into my brain.

Whew! Now I'm going to start cleaning up in my room, sell some of that bulky furniture I never use (really, a loft bed? Sure, it sounds like a good idea, but waking from a nightmare only to smack your face on a smoke detector or a ceiling fan is no fun.) and draw up some plans... Come up with a better business name, because the one I have is bleh...

I just thought I'd share!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2009 08:24:44 PM »

Oh KRJ!  I love that little insight into your brain...  Good luck with your plans Smiley  I hope it all works out well!  And on a side note,  I might be dislexic.... I've never acually looked closely at your screen name, and it always read out RJK in my head.... Not KRJ.....  yup... there is your insight into my not set up straight brain.....

Oddacity, sounds like you had a great day!!  that's so neat you got to pick out your batt contents! Glad to hear college is treating you well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #222 on: September 22, 2009 04:42:27 PM »

I don't know if you all have seen it, but I'm keeping my eye on the site for drum carders.  Looks like I'm about a month late on a Louet.....  But maybe another will come up soon!  thought I'd share my good internet find Smiley

http://kbbspin.org/node/5836 Just posted this morning! I don't know if it's what you're looking for, all I know is it's a drum carder! lol Too bad the stinkin' things are so expensive...but then so are wheels and anything else to do with spinning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: September 22, 2009 05:05:14 PM »

ohoh.... geeze... almost as expensive as a new one...  (Strauch that is...)  sigh... Is it wrong to want one for cheaper then 500$?  It almost seems like I should be saving up a few more dollars....  sigh...  Thank you so much for alerting me to that, though, WMA Smiley  *hugs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #224 on: September 22, 2009 06:12:52 PM »

Tell me about it! It seems like carders and wheels never lose value =/ It's rare to find one of those amazing deals...you know, the kind you can actually afford! I was lucky enough to find a good deal on a carder...$75 for a Louet Junior carder. I wanted a bigger one but for that price I certainly wasn't complaining! A friend of mine teaches in Chicago..he's in textiles...and he had a student who was clearing out some of her studio, so he called me up knowing I was in search of fiber equipment. I said 'Sold!' and he brought it to me on his next visit! Now if only one of his students needed to be rid of a wheel...lol Wink 
I'll keep my eye out for a less expensive one for you...I check kbbspin just about every day (sometimes more than once...is that sad or what? lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: September 22, 2009 07:41:34 PM »

nono, that is most definitly not sad.  I've been checking ebay, kijiji, craigslist, and Kbb spin at least once a day too.... Just hadn't made it to kbbspin today...  I amazed at your sweet deal on the louet junior,  That's one of the carders i was looking at, that and those apparently coveted pat greene carders.    Strauch was last on my list after stumbling across a comparison, between a strauch and  (i think)  a fancy kitty.  th amount of "waste fiber" on the strauch was nearly 3 times the amount on the fancy kitty.  Now being a felter too, it wouldn't necesarily be waste fiber for me, but at the same time I'd like my spinnning batts to be as much of the fiber I put on as possible Smiley
anyway now I'm rambling and should really be reading stories to my four year old.... Smiley ttyt
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freestyle
aka ModernSpin

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #226 on: September 23, 2009 09:20:55 AM »

Strauch was last on my list after stumbling across a comparison, between a strauch and  (i think)  a fancy kitty.  th amount of "waste fiber" on the strauch was nearly 3 times the amount on the fancy kitty.

Bella you might want to reconsider the Strauch. I was getting a lot of waste fiber on mine until I adjusted the distance between the licker-in and the drum- they were too close together. Now I have very little waste, and what I do have I just throw back onto the carder as part of another batt.  Smiley  And one other thing I've discovered- a brush attachment in essential. Since I added it, I can get over twice as much fiber onto the drum and the batts come out so much smoother. The more expensive carders include them, while the cheaper ones sell them separately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #227 on: September 23, 2009 09:50:52 AM »

I wish the PG Deb's Deluxe had a brush attachment, but I make do with a burnishing brush.

Freestyle, just finished a hat with the blue yarn you sent me!  My husband said it was his favorite one yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: September 25, 2009 08:15:47 AM »

k sleeping beauty drum carder, made in New Zealand
Don't know many specifics and the lady selling doesn't seem to know much about it, but she did send me a pic.  here it is:

Doesn't look to me like a very fine cloth, but I've never seen a carder up close and personal.  But the finer the cloth the more I'll beable to do with it, right?  She wants 300$ for it, but I'd dicker with her, so hopefully I could manage to get it for that much including shipping or perhaps less....
whatcha think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freestyle
aka ModernSpin

« Reply #229 on: September 25, 2009 09:19:08 AM »

Hmmm. The number of teeth looks pretty low to me, but I'm no expert by any means considering I've seen exactly 1 drum carder in person.  Tongue  But it doesn't look like there are many more teeth per inch on the drum as there are on the licker-in. On mine (see comment above about the only drum carder I've ever seen) the ratio looks to be about 2:1. MLF?? We need you!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nikon CLS Wireless Flash System Explained
Sebastian Copeland on the Beauty in Photography
How to Bling your photos
Thousands Of Red Bull Cans Transformed Into Amazing Sculptures
The Making of the Summer Reading Sculpture
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...