A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random SPINNY babble thread :-)  (Read 16828 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2009 03:48:50 PM »

Oh, I hadn't thought of that! good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faren
Sit and Spin

I am Sci-Fi

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #211 on: September 17, 2009 03:50:22 PM »

I have them sometimes.... ideas I mean, good ones come even more infrequently!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swap Friendly!

My Wists  http://wists.com/Faren
http://www.flickr.com/photos/faren422/

New hand spun yarns listed! 2/27/10
http://www.annellsannex.etsy.com
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: September 17, 2009 09:13:48 PM »

sooo...  Anyone else ever dye with the Ashford Acid dyes?  I keep finding my colors are muddy......  disappointing really.... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2009 10:41:11 PM »

Sad I'm no help, I've only used food coloring and koolaid.

I do have a weird question though. When I showed my fianc the wrist warmer I just knitted, he really liked the design that the variegated yarn made. It's nothing special, just some regular pooling (sort of looks like a barcode, actually) but he wants me to knit him a beanie, and he asked if I could make that pattern on the beanie. I said I could try, but since I'm new to knitting, I'm not really familiar with how yarn would pool on a beanie like that, so I wouldn't really know how to dye it. I explained pooling to him and told him that sometimes it can come out really ugly, and I sent him the following picture as reference.

His response? "Whoa. Can you do that with the beanie?"

I started laughing, and he asked me what was funny. I was like, "You WANT it to look like that?" He thinks it looks cool. XD So, any tips on what I would normally never want to do when dyeing? Maybe like I was talking about with the design, knit one up and mark off where I want it to pool, then dye it like that and re-knit it? D: sounds like a lot of work...  Does anyone make self-uglifying yarn? Cheesy

EDIT: Nevermind. >.< He changed his mind.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009 10:55:12 PM by SpecialKRJ » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #214 on: September 19, 2009 07:14:14 PM »

I think that pooling of colors is wonderful!!!  Sort of like an Irish long stitch pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: September 19, 2009 09:34:13 PM »

zomg.. I just found this site... Spinner's weavers and knitters house cleaning page:
http://www.kbbspin.org/taxonomy/term/6?page=3

I don't know if you all have seen it, but I'm keeping my eye on the site for drum carders.  Looks like I'm about a month late on a Louet.....  But maybe another will come up soon!  thought I'd share my good internet find Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2009 05:26:38 PM »

kbbspin.org is great! People list everything from wheels, looms, magazines, fiber, livestock...basically anything to do with spinning, weaving, knitting, crochet, etc. The most common listing is looms for sale but there is usually a wheel or two per week and drum carders occasionally. I've seen listings for people in search of carders maybe you could try that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2009 05:33:22 PM »

lol, that's all that is up in the carders heading.  Wanted: Pat greens debs delux.  Wanted Pat greens etc.... LOL   I'm at a point where I'll buy almost anything for the right price.... well, so long as it has about 90+tpi, then I'll get it.  Just impatient really. 
I met a lady the other day while fabric shopping at the quilting store (an employee) who was in a fiber arts guild in the closest city.  They recently disbanded Cry  and she was going to talk to someone she knew about posible drum carders for sale too.  So I'm going to haunt that quilting store now lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2009 06:47:45 PM »

Soooo, since I couldn't make it to World Wide Spin In Public Day on Saturday, I did my spinning in public on Friday! I hauled my Traveller onto the bus which I took from my dorm to main campus about a mile away. I spun from 9:15 to 11:30 when I ran out of fiber! I didn't really know how long it would take me so I didn't bring anything but 4 oz of top, so I couldn't wrap a bracelet and ply my singles and stay out until 12:00 like I had hoped. It was alright that I didn't though, because as I was waiting for the bus back to my dorm it started sprinkling a tiny bit, and by the time I had deposited my wheel and got back to main campus it was noon and raining like crazy!

I had about a dozen people come up and talk to me. I was hoping for more, but I realized once I got there that being a Friday morning, there weren't many people out and those that were had classes to get to and didn't really have eyes for anything else. But there were plenty more who stared as they walked by and I heard a couple people whisper "oh that's so cool!" It was awesome. :] The first girl who talked to me took a picture! She said something like "I'm a senior now and I'm trying to appreciate the small things in life" which I thought was really nice. There were a lot of people who asked questions like "is that your loom/sewing machine" which as someone who KNOWS it was kind of annoying but I put that aside because it's great that these people are even interested enough to ask - it shows they're curious enough to learn! (Part of me is like, "I thought a spinning wheel was a common enough concept for people to know what they are?" but most people probably think of Sleeping Beauty when they think of spinning wheels and lord knows most of the ones on the market today look totally different, so it's understandable that people wouldn't recognize it)

All in all, GREAT experience. I usually feel shy and out of place doing strange things like that, so I was really glad that I actually did it. It was super fun and I think I'll do it again!

On Saturday I went home and went with my mom to a local farmers' fair that happened to be just down the road from the LYS that I got an email from about a "Fiber Fest" that was happening the same day. The email said "come down and pick out your fiber" which I didn't know WHAT that meant but figured it was obviously worth checking out. When I got there, there was a lady with a bunch of different colors of batts and glitz and a drumcarder! Apparently the deal was you pick out the colors you want and she'd card up a special batt for you! I got 1.5 oz turquoise and purple and silver glitz. Cheesy I'll share pics of the batt and my Friday spinning this coming Fiber Friday thread. Anyway I had a nice chat with the woman - she was really nice, which was great, I ended up talking about random college things along with fibery stuff! It was nice to have a genuine conversation as opposed to "yeah this is the fiber stuff I'm doing" "yeah uh huh okay cool here's your stuff thanks for your business." That made me really happy. Cheesy Can't wait to go back when I visit home again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I hang out in: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and the Swap Board!

My Etsy: Illumine Artisan Works
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2009 06:58:07 PM »

Wow, that's a great story oddacity! It sounds like a really fun day. I didn't spin in public but I did talk like a pirate for a little while. & I thought of you guys. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Plating your Home Style Meatloaf
Finishing your Meatloaf Gravy
How to Finish the Whipped Potatoes
Beginning Meatloaf Gravy
Cutting and Cooking Whipped Potatoes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...