A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,141
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random SPINNY babble thread :-)  (Read 18733 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 23, 2009 06:12:16 AM »

So if the soapers can have one, why can't we? [grin] I thought it might be cool to have somewhere to chat about spinning between Fridays. Also, I'm annoyed because I wanted to spin a super big skein and some rubbish winding at the start means that my bobbin is getting to the point where it's making spinning hard ALREADY, and I'm only halfway through :-(

How's everyone else's days doing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
knkurz
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009 06:58:31 AM »

I've been spending all my free time preparing for a craft bazaar I'm going to have a table at on Saturday.  When I'm not doing that, I'm carding super-nasty dog hair so I can make the yarn for the other sock I owe my friend.  Bleh.  I SHOULD be working on a yarn I'm making for a competition I want to enter, but I haven't gotten to it yet.  Luckily, I have until the 19th of May to get it done and submitted...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Persephone Hazard

That song was about me.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009 07:21:06 AM »

You're getting the dog hair straight from the doggy parlour floor, aren't you? That must be a bastard to clean and card. Good luck at the craft bazaar, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
Persephone Hazard

That song was about me.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009 03:08:44 PM »

BOOYAH. BOO FUCKING YAH. [ahem] I have just finished my first ever yarn-of-any-respectable-length and it looks ACE. Letting the twist settle now, hopefully I'll be able to set it and photograph it in time for my first ever Fiber Friday :-D No more measly little 25-50g balls for me, I have at least 200g here. That's, like, a whole skinny scarf!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009 03:10:23 PM by Persephone Hazard » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Persephone Hazard

That song was about me.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009 05:37:41 PM »

Remind me never to get too excited again. Like, ever.

I left it to set in the tub and came back to find that it had GOT ALL TANGLED UP. So then I had to try and untangle it, and then of course it started felting, and it was all coiling up into itself, and...ok, the whole process took over two hours from 'looking in the bath and thinking FUCK' to 'safely wrapped round the back of a chair to dry' and I won't describe it all to you but there was a lot of swearing, one incident of getting so angry I hurled something across the room and one moment of almost-but-not-quite bursting into tears (I was SO proud of this fricking yarn before this happened!)

I've lost some of the yarn entirely, and the skein now drying has a LOT of knots in it where I rejoined everything because at one point it was basically falling apart before my eyes due to my dodgy detangling methods etc, bits kept breaking off fucking everywhere because of the bloody knots and me poking at them and...

...yeah, I'm not as happy as I was!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knkurz
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009 06:21:18 PM »

When I let a yarn sit in water, I always leave it skeined, unless I'm there to directly supervise, and even then, I don't leave it for more than a minute or two.  Then, the twist stays in, it's easier to gently squeeze out water before unskeining, and things don't fall apart then.

It's all trial and error, dear, so hang in there Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009 08:31:55 PM »

As a rule I try to never ever let anything vaguely string-like sit unorganized anywhere, ever. Even if you think you placed it in such a way that it won't get tangled, as soon as you pic it up again SOMEHOW there's a knot in it! Biggest pet peeve with earbud headphones....grrrr hahaha. I always skein my yarn before setting the twist too. Although despite keeping it stable when setting the twist...I HATE working from skeins because for me they tangle up just as much as anything else, but there's honestly no point in me winding it into a center-pull ball as I don't have a skein or ball winder so I'll get the same amount of tangles winding into a ball by hand as I would just knitting from it. Sigh.

I've been talking for weeks upon end about this sock yarn I'm working on. I keep saying "oh I'm hoping it will be done by the end of the week!" and it NEVER happens. Guh. No time to finish it by tomorrow, but with any luck it'll be done by NEXT Friday. GEEZ I HOPE THAT'S THE LAST TIME I SAY THAT!!! haha. so ready for a freaking wheel....

but I just got my paycheck tuesday and I worked like, twice as many hours as I usually do so I have twice as much money and of course I just bought about $20ish on etsy today....I don't get to buy spinning stuff that often since most of it is expensive on my budget and I'm always looking for as cheap a deal I can find, but once this roving comes in I'll have about 30oz of various unspun fibers...I think I'm finally have what you can consider a stash!!! However small. :] I'm so proud of myself haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I hang out in: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and the Swap Board!

My Etsy: Illumine Artisan Works
Persephone Hazard

That song was about me.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009 03:17:21 AM »

Yeah, having a stash is lovely [grin] I don't have much of one, but I'm working on it!

I haven't ventured into the living room yet this morning, but I hope no more disasters have befallen my lovely purple yarn. I was so happy about that damn yarn :-( I think I kind of tried to...spread it out, or something, even though I'd put it in the bath not skeined, but in one big loop like before you make a skein. if you see what I mean.

Maybe I should buy a plastic niddy noddy and submerge the yarn in the bathtub on *that* [grin]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freefolk
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009 03:36:35 PM »

Did you tie it up with scrap yarn? I usually tie mine up in 6-8 spots before putting it in water, making sure to tie both ends up. I've never had it tangle; I just grab it by the scrap yarn (best in a contrasting color) and straighten the loop out when it's done soaking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009 02:56:55 PM »

I've made 5 niddy noddies in the last week Persephone Hazard. It wasn't very hard. The first two I made, I had the guy at Lowes cut for me. The last three I did by hand. I only have a hand saw, so it was a bit of physical work. My arms are kind of sore. I have zero upper body strength so that was my own problem.

I used this tutorial: http://www.doctordirt.com/blog/niddy.html

I've made 3 of them for Shop the Swap and the other two have singles on them at the moment. Sooooooooooooooo much better than having yarn wrapped on anything that it will stay on. lol There was literally 7 or 8 colors on various household items. My husband was dodging yarn for a couple of weeks. lol

My one tip, don't try to cut the PVC with a wood saw. Won't work. You have to have a fine toothed hack saw. I picked mine up for $5.88. The PVC is about 2 or 3 dollars and I bought some PVC cement for $3.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Text Effect in Photoshop - Tutorial
Text Reflection Effect in Photoshop - Tutorial
How to Use the Rule of Thirds
How to Use Curves in Photoshop
Neon text effect in Photoshop - Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...