A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,390
Currently Running With Scissors:
780 Guests and 44 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tote / blanket? Help, please!  (Read 643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gillama

Complete with borderline OCD tendancies.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2009 07:23:54 PM »

Long story short, I've been looking ahead to the summer months (mainly Bumbershoot! Yeah!) and there are two things that I foresee needing quite often: a blanket, and a bag that still has space to hold things around the blanket. Thus the blanket bag!

All Google had to offer was blankets that folded into a bag shape (also handy) but had no actual use as a bag. So I designed one! Only I need your help as to whether you think it'll work, yada yada. Here's a little draft of what I was thinking:

(if anything's unclear or impossible to read just say so and I'll try to clarify)

Any suggestions? I know it's going to be a little bulky, but size had to be sacrificed in the bag in order to make the blanket any kind of decent. Thanks so much for helping out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009 08:58:26 PM »

Are you talking about a quillow?  (http://www.capitalquilts.com/freeproject/makeaquillow.pdf)

It would be very easy to enlarge the pocket by putting in pleats at the bottom corners or adding a gussett to accomodate more than just the blanket, and you could add handles.

SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009 09:56:01 PM »

If you wanted to use the pattern you sketched and add a bit of room, use a separated zipper where one side is on an extention/flap so that you would have a little leeway as you folded and all your extra goodies would have room to breathe. 

Here is a qwillow that I made with a pocket on the outside. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=238896.msg2623919#msg2623919

I have often thought of adding a gussetted section to one side of the pocket that the blanket folds into so that I could carry larger things. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
Muria
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009 05:54:52 AM »

I figured you were talking about separating zippers anyway.  I tried it with a piece of paper, and it should work.

I've done the quillow a few times, and they're pretty useful. The faster easier way to make a blanket/tote is to make a blanket with a drawstring all around the edges (the drawstring becomes the handle), but it has to be somewhat small in order for the handle not to be excessively long, and there's really nowhere to put whatever's in the bag when it's busy being used as a blanket.

Following that thought through, have you considered a pocket that snaps out (so that it doesn't make the blanket lumpy, but you still have someplace to keep your stuff if you use it as a blanket).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009 08:51:30 AM »

As your zipper is going to go along the sides all the way to the bottom of the bag, I'd suggest using two separating zippers and starting them both at ther top middle of the bag one going left and one going right, that way if you unzip the bag to reach in to get something, you only have to open the top of the bag and all of your other things won't fall out.

Make sense? hope so!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gillama

Complete with borderline OCD tendancies.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009 07:03:17 PM »

I wasn't really thinking of a quillow, but that might work just as well.

Also I really like the zipper closure idea, it'll probably work much better than adding a tie at the top like I was thinking about.

Thanks for the help you guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chris Parkinson Performs His Poem "Men of Straw"
How to Write a Research Paper
Barbara Arrowsmith-Young on The Woman Who Changed Her Brain
The Painted Bridge Book Trailer
The Changeling Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...