A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Understair dilemma  (Read 757 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tiegh
« on: April 22, 2009 06:22:02 PM »

So I have this great area under my stair case that is basically a storage area right now.  I would really like it to either be some sort of functional seating area or be covered up.  It's sort of an eye-sore the way it is now.  I'm completely out of ideas and I need help!  I tried making a curtain to hang on the wall in front of it, but my classic problem of measure once cut once made my curtain crooked and I scrapped that idea.  The space is 82" high at the peak and 93" wide at the base. 
Thanks for your fantastic ideas!!!

super grainy shot of the offending area

it's right by the front door, so I'd like this to be a nice area rather than a storage hole

view from the kitchen! my apartment is tiny

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009 06:33:42 PM »

I would build a little cushioned bench that fit in there. then you could have a little reading nook. and you could but a cabinet unnder the bench so you can still have storage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
Genesis1:1
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009 08:40:12 PM »

I agree with Lunakitten! Put a storage bench with cushy pillows to lean on. It would be a great place to sit and put on your shoes, or to settle in with a book.  How about a plant (silk or real) in the lowest part of the corner? It gives the illusion of more space.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orangevwbug
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009 09:53:43 PM »

I like the bench idea! Another option (depending on what your style is) would be one of those really pretty folding screens and use that to cover the stairs. Although, depending on the style you get, it might make the room look too small. If you are in the states and like the screen idea, I have found them at Hobby Lobby (sorta expensive) and I've found them at Big Lots (less expensive but not as many choices).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lody
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009 04:39:24 AM »

I think that area would feel too cramped to sit in, personally.  I saw a space just like that in a tv show where they were renovating a house; what they did was they put two little "sticks" on the floor (to form a groove) and then cut a triangle piece of wood, painted it white, and wedged it in there, leaving a space big enough to walk through so you can go put stuff away, but small enough to not look too conspicuous. Of course this wouldn't work in a measure-once cut-once style, it has to be very precise XD  It really looked just like your space before they did it, though, and the end result looked very good and very "professional", like the house was made that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
x46
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009 02:25:09 AM »

A friend of mine had a similar spot years ago, but with a window.  He put down a faux Persian rug, lots of cushions, a short carved Indian table, and used it as his 'don't bug me, I'm reading/thinking/need my space' spot.  How about a meditation spot where you're going to sit on the floor anyway?  How about a mirror or mirror tiles on the back wall so not so claustrophobic if you do sit in there? and/or paint the back and straight walls a soothing colour to make it a space apart? or paint the wall going up the outside of the staircase the same colour, too, to make it all seem one large feature rather than an awkward space? nothing like making work for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009 10:32:36 PM »

When I first saw the space with the little cabinet I thought tea nook. You could make a screen out of some 1"x2"s and some fabric to make 3 simple panels and then use piano hinges to join them. If you don't have the space, and/or tools to do that you could take some old wooden door screens and do the same with the piano hinges and fabric.

If you don't want that and really need the storage space maybe put in a premade book shelf against the wall facing the stairs. or maybe the ikea cubbies that look like stairs against the wall you look at.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abbytail

shes possesed, and she gets the hiccups.......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009 08:17:34 AM »

I would make use of the space as a storage, because who has enough storage anyway?

You could make some pull out cupboards. I mean ones that will fit snugly in the triangular space. You just need to measure the space well, taking in account the angle of the corners, and then just saw yourself through some (cheap) plywood, make the bases on some wheels and the fronts to follow the shape of the nook. The just add paint and handles and you can store a lot of stuff there.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm never having kids, I hear they take 9 months to download
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Council Ellie’s Top Beach Picks!
What To Wear: Summer Fashion For Kids That Can Transition Into Fall
Up-Close: Chanel Couture 2013 Collection
Three Adorable Summer Looks From Style Council Carly!
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Tonya
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...