A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fun with Fondant: Super Mario Galaxy cake (foto fat)  (Read 29175 times)
Tags for this thread: cake_decorating , cake , video_game , fondant , craftster_best_of_2009 , super_mario  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

routinefly
« on: April 22, 2009 04:31:06 PM »

I asked my soon-to-be 6-yr-old what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday. Without hesitation he replied, "Bowser versus Mario in the Melty Molten Galaxy," one of his favorite challenges in Super Mario Galaxy on Wii.

Hmm. Pretty sure I wasn't going to find that in the bakery department at the local grocery store. Undecided

So, armed with a couple of screen shots from the game, I made a mountain of marshmallow fondant, a few cake layers and three batches of Rice Krispies treats. First, I assembled the platforms from the cake rounds and Krispies and then covered them in a checkerboard fondant pattern.

Next, I constructed the 'castles' (from ice cream cones, natch),covered 'em in gray fondant and used black icing gel to paint some detail. The last-and-hardest step was molding the characters: Bowser, Mario, Princess Peach, Bowser Jr., - all fondant over RKTreat bodies. Plus, I formed a few fondant mushrooms.

I worked into the wee hours of his birthday morning, forming, cutting and occasionally cursing.  Shocked I was feeling OK enough with it - until my birthday boy got up, inspected it and rattled off a list of change orders, including a request for lots of lava (which I made by marbling red and orange fondant). 

It certainly wasn't a 100-percent authentic repro of the game - I had to take a fair bit of artistic license to make it doable for me. However, the kids in my son's kindergarten class gave the cake thumbs up - they were tripping out that it was entirely edible, Bowser and all.

I sure am glad birthdays are only once a year!  Smiley

BTW: I've been luring 'round the Craftser Galaxy for awhile; this is my first project post.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009 04:38:13 PM by routinefly » THIS ROCKS   Logged
twelvedaysold

http://twelvedaysold.blogspot.com/

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009 04:45:08 PM »

I am in sheer AWE!  You're the best mom ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009 04:47:54 PM »

That's an awesome cake!  I'm very impressed! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nezumi_chan
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009 05:21:37 PM »

Wow!  My nephew would LOVE that cake!  Awesome job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brynns Mom
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009 06:50:38 PM »

This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chellery

We're both social halfwits & I think its fantastic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009 07:24:19 PM »

You are amazing! Smiley My six year old (and his father  Wink ) would kill to see this brought to life in our house... (I learned to stop showing them things I find on Craftster after they demanded Transformers Halloween costumes that actually transformed...)

The lava looks great! I'd say you were a pretty good sport about his criticisms too... After hours of work, I would have been tempted to tell him to make his own darn lava!

Are you at all worried what he's going to come up with NEXT year?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every invention, every achievement, has come out of dissatisfaction, not serentiy. No one ever said: 'Things are perfect, let's invent fire.' "
schnerby
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009 07:25:11 PM »

I would love that cake!

Amazing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cute_anarchy
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009 08:14:57 PM »

Wow!  OH wow!   He's going to remember the awesomeness of this cake for a long time, you're a great mom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
CartoonJunkie
Rock, Rock On!

Doodily doo ding dong doodily doodily doo

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009 08:27:21 PM »

That is awesome! I love the attention to detail. I wish someone would make me a Mario cake. I'm jealous Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's something you don't see every day... one hopes." - Killface

My Wist
routinefly
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009 08:57:17 PM »

You are amazing! Smiley My six year old (and his father  Wink ) would kill to see this brought to life in our house... (I learned to stop showing them things I find on Craftster after they demanded Transformers Halloween costumes that actually transformed...)

The lava looks great! I'd say you were a pretty good sport about his criticisms too... After hours of work, I would have been tempted to tell him to make his own darn lava!

Are you at all worried what he's going to come up with NEXT year?

Quite the mind-reader you are, Chellery. I am indeed VERY worried about what kind of cake he'll be requesting/expecting next year - but whatever it is, it couldn't be as hard as making transforming Transformer costumes!  Shocked  And I most assuredly was not thrilled to receive his change order list, but I figured he's only turning six once, and I knew that he was right - he sure knows what that Mario "world" much better than me!  Smiley

I appreciate all the positive feedback. It is/was my first & only project post, so I had rookie anxiety about even posting it. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Production Studio - Shortcuts for Creating Additional Lower Thirds
Adobe Production Studio - Adding Text to a Lower Third
Adobe Production Studio - Designing Elements with Photoshop
Adobe Production Studio - Exporting After Effects Files into Photoshop
Adobe Production Studio - Creating a Solid Background
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...