A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,307
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 4 Jackets (better pictures)  (Read 33011 times)
Tags for this thread: jacket , mccalls_5759 , mccalls_5530 , simplicity_8754 , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redflag
« on: April 22, 2009 04:14:22 PM »

First jacket is Mcall's 5759. It was made from 3 pairs of tweed thrift-store pants and some military-ish looking thrift store buttons. It's lined and also interlined with fleece to make it a bit warmer. Modifications:shoulder epaulets, wrist tabs, elbow belt-thingies, and POCKETS. I couldn't believe the pattern included pocket flaps, but no actual pockets. How weird. I would have just made pockets, but since I was using old pants, I just used a couple of the back welt pockets. I also strategically cut the arms out of the back of one pair of pants so I'd have a couple more useless welt pockets at the shoulders.

Next one is Mccall's 5530. Modifications : added side seam pockets, shoulder epaulets, and wrist cuff things. Also quilted the lining onto some cotton batting for extra warmth. Oh, and I made the entire jacket about 2 inches longer. It's still kinda short.

This one is a thrift store pattern-Simplicity 8754. From the packaging, I'd guess this is from the 70's. Just a basic jacket pattern. This one is also made from 3 pairs of thrift store pants. The gray shades inspired me to do a medieval armor sort of theme. Some of the outer sections are quilted to look like metal scale kinds of things. I didn't cheat on this one and added my own zippered welt pockets to the front, plus one on my left arm just for fun. I reused the zippers from the pants for these, but bought a new zipper for the front. Interlined with heavy fleece, this thing is pretty warm. I also added the hood.

Last one is a Burda download-Larissa. Cost five bucks, but I've been looking for a motorcycle jacet pattern. The fabric is some weird polyester almost upholstery like fabric from Joanne's clearance section. It sat around in my stash for a long time before it dawned on me: turquoise upholstery fabric...moto jacket pattern...perfect! The army-green accent bit was recycled from a thrift-store mens polo shirt. Yellow satin lining..I don't care much for yellow, but it seemed appropriate here. And this pattern actually included pockets, so I didn't have to wing them.

thanks for looking, Amy
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009 04:02:44 PM by redflag - Reason: better pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
UnRuli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009 05:30:04 PM »

Awww......only your first batch of photos is showing.  After seeing the first FABULOUS jacket I SO wanted to see the others!

Bravo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purefairydust
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009 05:49:59 PM »

Love all of your jackets and all of the designer details you put in them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing machines: Universal KAB, Kenmore 150 385.19150090, Brother XL-3125, Brother LS-2000

Combo sewing and embroidery machine: Brother SE270D

Sergers: Sergemate Companion 5040, Simplicity Serge Pro
SleepingSubmarine
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009 06:26:26 PM »

i love the first and third ones!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009 06:31:53 PM »

wow these are fantastic - i especially love the 1st and 3rd one Smiley great job utilizing those pant pockets
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
astamour
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009 06:43:39 PM »

My faves are the first and last - I think I must be loving the off-center zipper at the moment.
I would love to try "Larissa" but I'm afraid my skill level might not be quite there.

Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm pro-accordion, and I vote!
Alatarial
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009 07:53:46 PM »

Those look great! My favorite is the first one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/elenc/

Will personal swap! Please, PM me!
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009 07:54:55 PM »

Those are some fantastic jackets!!
I really like them Smiley stunning work...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

narhloki
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009 08:02:58 PM »

I'm in love with the first 2!! Might need to get those patterns.

(Your dog is way cute!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redflag
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009 08:15:54 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. I sew all kinds of things, but jackets are the most fun. And a girl can never have to many jackets, isn't that what they say? Or is it chocolate?
Speaking of my cute dog, I posted a couple of pinafores in reconstructed and realized I had an awesome picture of her peeing in the background!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jambalya Recipe from New Orleans
How to make Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon and Asparagus
How to Make a Smoked Brisket
How to Cook Food on a Fire Pit
Summer Steak Dinner Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...