A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Net/tulle underskirt skirt question  (Read 1495 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenniebentham
« on: April 22, 2009 01:37:16 PM »

Hi - i know this has porbably been done before, but I am making a princess Belle dress for my daughter. I want to make it extra poofy so am adding an underskirt of tulle.

I am going to sandwich the tulle between the top skirt and a layer of lining material so its comfortable on her legs but what I want to know is is it best to do the tulle as a separate skirt in all one layer, or by sewing shorter but overlapping sections onto the lining in a kind of multi-tier effect. Or is there a better way that I haven't though of yet?

I have made a Cinderella dress previously with the tulle in just one layer, but its not really poofy enough!

Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009 03:20:03 PM »

I had a bridal petticoat when I was a kid, one year  (having petite neighbors was awesome), and one designed specifically for square dancing (majorly poofy), and they were both constructed in roughly the same way.  They had a lining, which was free-hanging, nothing attached to it, it only attached at the waist.  The bridal one also had an outer layer like that, but it's not necessary.  Anyway, there was a short yoke of lining, then the tulle started.  I want to say there were two layers of gathered tulle, though maybe just one.  To the bottom of each layer (if there were two) were attached two more layers of tulle, so four total.  To the bottom of each of those, were two more, so eight.  And each layer had gathers.  I'm exhausted, so I'm probably explaining this badly.  Basically, it was a tiered skirt, but each tier multiplied.  There were three or four tiers in the square dance skirt, and five or six in the bridal one.  The square dance skirt definitely gathered more than the other one.  That sounds kind of complex, and for a costume may be more work than it's worth.  But it may inspire you with a way to get the most poof for your effort.  Hopefully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Nylaskye
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009 09:40:08 AM »

Hi.  I posted my daughter's Easter dress and another outfit I made last week.  Take a look at the purple skirt I made.  It should be easy to find in the childrens gallery.  To adda littel poof to the skirt I ruffled netting and attached it to the lining plain and simple.  I cut 2 pieces and ruffled them together and added it maybe 2 inches above the hem and it was all I needed.  You may want to add 2 rows depending on the look you're going for.  I'd start with one layer near the hen of the lining first have her try it on and then you'll know if you should even bother with a 2nd layer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liz1611
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009 12:34:06 AM »

try googling "crinoline".look in the images..this is basically a separate skirt the has layers of gathers like a twirl skirt.  this gives a lot of poofiness, especially if the hem has two layers of gathered tulle.

i reccommend a separate skirt because it is easier to remove to wash the dress.

jaya
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using a Folding Chair as a Posing Stool
Using a Speedlight Softbox
Using a Hoodman Loupe Without A Lanyard
Using Honl for SpeedLight Accessories
Using Paint Poles for Backdrops
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...