A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,115
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My own version of a Ralph Lauren skirt  (Read 4241 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

quimera
« on: April 22, 2009 11:57:16 AM »

this is the second time that I tried this skirt, unlucky as the first time was 2 years ago the link is not available anymore, I kept pictures but posting here is not allowed...
so, here you have my version and believe is quite similar, just the fabric is not the right one

and those days I was around 7 kilos heavier  Undecided

if someone find it interesting, I took pictures of every step  Grin
but I'm not sure if I'd be able to explain the steps, as English is not my language and sewing has so many new words for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyJ
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009 12:11:53 PM »

Very nice!  I love making skirts, I'd love to see step by step pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quimera
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009 10:06:42 AM »

thank you, LadyJ!
so I'll try to post it,
please help me if you see something is not clearly explained
the pictures are not good, but good enough to understand I hope

For this design you need how to know a pencil skirt pattern.
I won't explain this part
so, here you have it, the pencil skirt pattern:

can you see on the skirt that it has on front a curved line? you have to decide where you'll put the curved line, maybe mine was low... Undecided
so, draw the curved line in the front part of the pattern:

The curved line continues in the back of the skirt, so you need to continue the line at the same height. For that, face hip sides (back and front) of the patterns...

and continue the line...

and then... cut the pieces!  Cheesy

what do you think, LadyJ? is this part clear?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009 10:55:09 AM by quimera » THIS ROCKS   Logged
geek_goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009 10:19:18 AM »

I think the directions are very clear. You are really good at drafting patterns!
Lovely skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quimera
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009 11:30:31 AM »

Thank you, geek goddess!

firstly, I have the pics of the original design by Ralph Lauren, no possible post them here, but if someone really wants to do it and needs to know how it looked like, send me a PM with your email, and I'll send the pics back!

let's continue...

at the skirt has two ruffles, and the pieces (the parts UNDER the curved line) we just cut will become the ruffles...then better if we prepair a second set of these pieces, EXACTLY THE SAME

but by now... keep them apart...

so, let's continue with the easiest part, the still recognozible upper skirt parts.
For instance, put the front upper pattern on the folded fabric
(don't cut the fabric till you try all the pieces!!)
like this:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
quimera
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009 10:16:12 AM »

ooops no opinion today,
well, I'll try to continue.

let's start with the ruffles! I named they A (upper layer) and B (lower layer)

It can look difficult, but working prolix and with arrangement is the key!

Front A (so upper front layer) is -as you can see in the skirt- shorter than Front B (lower front layer).
so we need to redefine the shape of Front A, we'll use the first set we cut previously. Look here, I faced Front A with Back A and draw a line to make this part shorter:

(if you see tape where it shouldn't be is because I was run out of paper and I had to use small pieces....)

then you cut the line... and you don't need both parts faced anymore, we apart them and you'll see now the definitely Front A
then, take the Front A and draw vertical lines dividing the pattern in strips, I drew 5cm wide strips.

Cut the strips very very very close to the top but without separating strips at all!!

VERY EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: beware when cutting! for no reason touch the real curved upper border!! if you break and then change the curved border, later the fabric pieces won't match!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009 10:25:16 AM by quimera » THIS ROCKS   Logged
quimera
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009 10:49:55 AM »

You'll do the same with Front B

And You'll do the same with Back A and Back B later

so, for good ruffles you need to work with the fabric on bias

prepare the fabric, remember I said do not cut any part till try all the pieces? try now.
put the ruffles on bias, opening the strips,without cutting the upper curved line!
look as I did here:

here you can see the "body" of the skirt, and Front A, now it's difficult to recognize it, because the shape changed with strips open... but note this: the perimeter of curved upper line didn't change...
it's the same that lower curved line of "body" skirt, because you'll sew both parts,
so opening the strips you make longer just a part of the fabric, which will become a beautiful ruffle!
did you get it?  Wink

well, how much separating strips? I separated them as much as possible according to my fabric, and that was also 5 cm:

this is how Front B looks on the fabric on bias, note that I used less separation than in Front A, because the lower ruffle is not as important as the other...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
quimera
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009 11:08:50 AM »

It's time to start putting together the pieces, let's start for the "body" of the skirt

and voila, first try!
I look terrible, but the thing is that you realize how the skirt body looks from front

and from side:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
quimera
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009 08:38:05 AM »

I'm so sorry I didn't finish the explanation... I had a lot of work, many troubles, few spare time...

I'll try to finish now!

we have already finished the "body" of the skirt,
but we had the ruffles ready also! Front A and B, remember?
so when you cut them, on a folded fabric, and then open them, they look like this:

they look as one of them is bigger than the other, but the main thing is that the round part of both of them still matches with the round part of the body of the skirt!

so, you can put them together like this (be careful to keep the round line intact!)

and then you match both ruffles together to the front part of the skirt, the picture is not very clear but I hope you understand it:

Do the same with the Back A and B, and this is like the skirt looks like with the ruffles applied but still not sewn in the sides.

so to finish, sew the sides of each ruffle,
and you saw how it looks like when the skirt is finished.

I apologize again for the delay...and maybe the explanations are not so good, but even then I hope they give to someone some ideas

greetings from Buenos Aires!
Laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hughsie
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009 06:48:05 AM »

I know I'm a bit late, but I love your skirt and the tutorial is absolutely brilliant! Thank you for the time and effort that you put into this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design Your Own Patchwork Blanket Patterns
How to Put Together a Care Package for a Young Girl
How to Make Patch Throw Designs
A Step-By-Step Guide to Doing Your Own Applique
How to Stitch Letters Onto Fabric
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #97-Container Crafting
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...