A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Marathon Completion Party Ideas?  (Read 3647 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2009 11:27:06 AM »

My mom is running her first marathon in a few weeks and we're having a big party to celebrate. We've tried to find some running-themed party decorations, but they don't seem to exist. Does anyone have any interesting ideas for decorations we can make?

So far we're making a "finish line" to hang up, we have cones that have the name of the race stenciled on them, and we bought 100 chocolate sneakers. What else can we do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009 08:21:07 AM »

I would cut out paper dolls of runners and string them around.  The company Fred makes a hilarious doormat that you could easily copy out of Astroturf and make it look like a finish line too (http://www.worldwidefred.com/feetfirst_finishline.htm).  You could get helium balloons in gold and string wide blue ribbon from them to make them look like medals.  Make signs with your mom's name on it for friends to hold up at random.  Scatter pom-poms, noisemakers, air horns, etc. for them to use when they feel like cheering for her again.  Set out drinks in a Gatorade (or similar) giant dispenser and have them pre-poured in little plastic cups.  Have a Light-Brite ready for you to personalize with her finishing time on it.  If you'll be there for the start of the marathon, take a photo of her just beginning with a digital camera, go to a 1-hour photo shop and have it blown up to display at the party.  If you can buy a pre-made mat, then put the photo inside and have everyone write on the matting their congratulations for her.  You'll have plenty of time to get back for more photos at the finish (and you can replace the starting photo with the finishing one if you'd like later).  I'd also have a paper ribbon strung across one hallway or something for her to recreate her finish when the guests are all there.  Play the cheesy "Chariots of Fire" theme song and have her slow-motion run through it.  I'm glad you made me think of this since my husband will be running his first marathon too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009 04:18:50 PM »

those are all really great ideas! thanks so much! = )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Around in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 1
How to Use the New Features in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 4
How to Use the New Features in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 3
How to Use the New Features in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 2
How to Use the New Features in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...