A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: List of Craft Stores  (Read 5180 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ellieinwonderland
« on: April 22, 2009 10:01:25 AM »

So Im young and just getting in the crafty mood. Well I have been for a while but now Im going out and looking for different fabrics and such. So I thought we might list all the different stores in Alaska that sell whatever we may need for our different crafting choices.

Heres what I know of:
Joann Fabrics- Wasilla and 2 in Anchorage
Black Elk Leather -Anchorage

ps. Anyone know where I might buy some solid brown fleece? I know its the wrong time of year and joanns has none but I need some and dont really want to buy online.(if I'd even be able to find any)
oo hey maybe we can link up some online stores or places online you guys buy from. feel free to list that too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But it's no use going back to yesterday, because i was a different person then." -Alice Through the Looking Glass
amybarnett
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009 09:27:33 PM »

These are the stores in Anchorage that I frequent:

The Bead Shack
The Quilt Tree/Yarn Branch
The Knitting Grounds
Seams Like Home
Joanns
Michaels
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009 11:04:15 PM »

Fairbanks doesn't have too much that I have found...

*Michaels
*JoAnns
*A small bead store downtown that does have some awesome seed beads and other things.  It's in that little mall thing right downtown and I can't remember the name.
*Material Girls - A store on College Rd. that specializes in quilting.  Tons of fabric, Bernina machines, and patterns.  They also seem to be expanding into felting. 
*Northern Threads - on University Ave they have a lot of fabric, offer a bunch of classes on different sewing projects, have some yarn, and carry Pfaff machines.

If you want to drive a little bit, there is a Ben Franklin in North Pole too.  They have floss for $.29 as compared to $.37 or $.39 or something at Michaels and JoAnns.  Also, they carry a bunch of different stuff like quilt patterns, scrapbooking, cooking, kids craftie stuff, and stamps.  They DO have sales tax there, but it's more economical on an every day basis for floss than in Fairbanks, and if you're all ready in the area... why not?  Wink

I'd just about die for a specialty yarn or embroidery shop here.  The internet just doesn't cut it.  Wink

Any of you Anchorage area folks mind adding a little mini description next to the stores you list?  I don't get down there very often, and it would be cool to see a mini run down of the sort of things some of the places have so I know what to really try and visit when I have time off and stuff.  (Ie does Seams Like Home have more than just material?  Do they specialize in a particular sewing machine brand, or have a lot of special threads?)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009 12:57:51 PM by Listessa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
amybarnett
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009 07:06:57 PM »

The Bead Shack: Absolutely EVERYthing you would need for any bead project. Tons of unique exotic beads. (If you get a chance to go here be sure to check out Dos Manos next door. Awesome)

The Quilt Tree/Yarn Branch: Tons of fabric (Amy Butler!), they do all sorts of classes (for a fee), specialty yarns-this is my favorite place to go to drool at yarn, patterns, books, etc. If you can only visit one yarn/fabric store in anchorage then go to the quilt tree!! Very helpful and friendly.

The Knitting Grounds: small, cute little shop, specialty yarns, roving, and a great display of finished knit and felted projects.

Seams Like Home: specializes in bernina, good selection of buttons, edgings, threads and sewing supplies, great selection on wedding dress type fabrics, really cool displays with antique furniture, LOTS of quilt type fabric

Joanns: Big box craft/fabric store. They have 2 locations (one of which, Northway mall, is much bigger. I go here when I need help with my viking machine)

Michaels: Big box craft and framing store. I usually go to any of the other stores I listed first. Michaels is good for fake flowers (if you like em) and scrapbooking.

Some other ones I forgot to list earlier were:
Blaines: All sorts of professional and amateur art supplies
More than a Memory: Scrapbooking supplies and classes

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009 12:57:59 PM »

Thank you amybarnett!  I'll have to make a point of hitting Quilt Tree next time I'm down there.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010 02:19:30 PM »

If you're down in Seward, I have a couple of recommendations:

A Flyin' Skein http://www.aflyinskein.com/
A Flyin' Skein must be made of awesome.  Cindy, the owner, is a lot of fun to chat with.  She carries a nice variety of different yarn from all over including some made/dyed in AK goodies.  Cindy will gladly wind loose skeins into an easy to travel with ball for you on her winder (which men are entirely fascinated to watch).  You can also find some Alaska cross stitch designs, along with all the DMC floss you will need to create them.   I LOVED visiting, and hope to get down there to check it out again.

Sew'n Bee Cozy http://www.sewnbeecozy.com/
Sew'n Bee Cozy is a lovely quilt shop.  There are so many different bolts of available in that store, I really don't know how they fit them all inside!  You can also find tons of Alaska featured patterns or kits and a fantastic selection of Alaska patterned fabric.  If you go during 2010, they are one of the shops participating in the stitch around the state quilt pattern. 

(Can you all tell I went on a road trip over the long weekend?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SKerri13
Tutorial Contributor

Don't Eat the Paste

conformity is subversive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011 03:09:39 PM »

Anchorage area:
Black Elk has leather, beads, some fur, supplies, crystals, rocks and incense to name a few things. It's huge and I could spend my entire PFD there easily.

Alaska Bead Company on Lake Otis and Tudor has great beads and they are always helpful. New beads come out on Sundays, and they also host trunk shows and have lots of guest teachers. In the same mall complex is a Tandy Leather and a rock shop.

Beads are my passion, so those are the places they know me by name.

My daughter is fond of Value Village because they have big bags of fabric scraps for 5.00 a bag and yarn for the same. She makes dolls and gets very interesting fabrics that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011 01:58:58 AM »

Another amazing one in Anchorage:
The Quilted Raven! 
It's located at 415 G street (right downtown). 

They are excellent.  Not only do they have some super gorgeous quilting patterns, but they also have Alaska themed cross stitch patterns.  Cheesy  It's so hard to find any of those around here.  The pricing is decent, about par with any other specialty spot up here.  I highly recommend giving them a visit. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013 12:50:09 AM »

Wow.  I missed bead and cool stuff stores in my prior post.  Duh...
More Fairbanks:

Alaska Raw Fur:  Obviously tons of gorgeous fur, the Great Wall of Seed Beads (and some others), leather working, awesome fabric, especially Alaska themes, felts, and quivit yarn.

Pristine's:  Ultimate Bead Shop in Fairbanks.  Every color of Delica (15s too!), as well as full range of Miuki seed beads.  Plenty of findings, gem beads, other random beads too.  They also keep a full variety of awesome books and different threads on hand.  Great Alaska themed patterns created by the store are also offered.

Inua Wool:  Yarngasm in a store.  So many different fancy yarns...  Plus books of all varieties!

A Weaver's Yarn:  I just heard about this one from a girl at work.  They have spinning supplies, weaving things, as well as plenty of yarn.  It sounds amazing.  I need to check it out soon.  

Craft Market:  Downtown, sort of a crazy place chuckabluck full of a little bit of everything.  They do sell antler buttons and beads as well as beads and buttons made of fossil ivory.  They have a large supply of kind of random beads, inventory is a little wacky and looks more like a flea market than a bead store- but it is cool to browse. 
They also offer knickknacks as well as native crafts and the usual gift shop souvenir type things.

Recently the Fairbanks Walmart started carrying cross stitch supplies (DMC for cheaper than JoAnns and Michaels) and basically expanded their cool craft section again.  I really hate shopping at Walmart, but it's nice to know it is there if necessary.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013 01:31:49 AM by Listessa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pretty Savvy: Stamped/Painted Collar
DIY Fourth of July Decorations
How to Make a Handprint American Flag
Combination of Color Dyes Produce Unusual Milk Art
Easy DIY Decorations For Your 4th of July Celebration
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...