A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,384
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainbow Inchies! (pic heavy ~ tute P3)  (Read 37012 times)
Tags for this thread: rainbow , craftster_best_of_2009 , inchie , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009 01:12:35 PM »

I have been avoiding paper crafting like the plague, mostly because I am so OCD nothing would ever be just right. But every time I see something like really colorful like this, I start to crack (the rainbow did me in - Jenicat is right, they do flow better!) - so, I'm going to break my own rules and give something like this a try, on one condition: you must write a tutorial! I think I can figure the measuring part out Wink but as for the color and your inspiration for composition, what type of paper and ink(? paint? pens?) you use, and what makes certain things work together...well, there I'm kind of stuck. Help a fellow craftster out, pretty please?

Oh, and I guess I forgot to actually say it - these are amazingly beautiful! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
imafundork
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009 02:12:18 PM »

They are beautiful! I love how they are arranged in the first photo.  I agree completely with Cealy!   Smiley

I think you should keep every last one for yourself!
Use mounting tape that gives the 3D look and put them together like the first picture in a poster frame! Very quiltish looking!

LOVE IT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009 02:47:58 PM »

Thank you! These rainbow ones are pretty straightforward. They looked so pretty when I was making them that I even took progress shots, so here ya go!

1. Measure your paper (I used heavy watercolour paper) into 1 inch strips.

2. Paint each one a colour of the rainbow using watercolours.

You'll see that I also painted two rainbow strips for some variety too.

3. When they're dry, cut into 1 inch squares.

4. Add some more paint to the edges of some of them (those middle ones). Ink the edges using a black ink pad. I just press them into it a few times (okay exactly 4 times each side, I have some counting issues Roll Eyes). This gives them a nice graduated, grainy edge, but you can swish them across the pad too for a different, smoother edge.

5. Start to cut small images and bits out in matching colours and play around with the layouts till you're happy. I find it easier to work on lots at a time rather than concentrate on just one.

That's about it really, easy peasy!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009 03:26:10 AM by Phizzychick - Reason: to add in a detail I'd forgotten to mention » THIS ROCKS   Logged

danirene
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009 06:05:40 PM »

Thanks for this mini-tute! your inchies are so beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009 07:58:29 PM »

Thank you for this, you did it in a way that I'd never have thought of by myself. I'm totally going to do this tomorrow, when I'm less drunk than I am just now :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009 09:11:43 PM »

Looking at these once more, I've fallen in love with them all over again. I especially like the ones with outlines - again with the OCD, ha ha! >.<

4. Ink the edges using an ink pad. I just press them into it a few times (okay exactly 4 times each side, I have some counting issues Roll Eyes). This gives them a nice graduated, grainy edge, but you can swish them across the pad too for a different, smoother edge.

Do you ink them with just an ink pad of the same color, or did you use one of those aging ink thingies (or whatever they're called), or something else entirely?

Also, how'd you do the white bits? They really pop out at you.

And thanks so much for posting a tutorial - I never would have imagined these would be so easily accomplished!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009 11:57:26 PM »

Ooh yeah, I added that bit in. I use a black ink pad for them all. Cheesy

I'm not quite sure what white bits you mean, but I think they're just the bits that have been collaged on? Some dots I have used a white gel pen in though to make them stand out, so you could mean that maybe?

The circles in strip 4 were cut from another piece of paper that I'd randomly painted and drawn on. A bit like this, but not in my journal, on a plain piece of paper...

Hope that helps! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009 04:59:08 AM »

I'd love to see some pictures of how people display their inchies collection.  I have been thinking about doing this for some time now but have resisted, mainly because I fear that it would be so much fun I would not be able to stop until I covered a whole wall with them or something.  Do folks generally mount the inchies on a bigger piece of something and then hang that on the wall?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
EmilyJumbleBugs

http://www.lookwhatemilymade.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009 04:47:14 PM »

These are all so wonderful and whimsical!

My fav is the yellow one with the elephant, so lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tanechka

kittens are a special kind of love.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009 05:24:24 PM »

Phizzychick, you seriously rock!

Thankyou for sharing!

Can I ask what kind of water colours you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2013 MTV Movie Awards Fashion: Jennifer Lawrence and Kristen Stewart
Beyoncé Nails the Island-Style Look in Cuba
Featured Blogger: Annabelle Fleur of Viva Luxury
The Pencil Skirt: An Office Staple is Reborn
5 Ways To Wear A Leather Skater Skirt
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...