A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art college sucks!  (Read 697 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krafty kate
« on: April 22, 2009 06:37:28 AM »

I used to love to paint, sculpt all that kind of stuff. I Spent 4 years studying in art college (didn't finish due to family crisis). I loved it to begin with and was so happy with the freedom we were given to express ourselves but the freedom seemed to fall away as time passed. I started drifting more towards textile based art and was being told "its not art you're doing it's craft". Craft was not a good word to them. Anyway I havn't really painted or the like since. Now I just kind of crochet and sew and stuff (oh the irony). Anyway was looking through old stuff and came across this painting, it was one I did in my first year, thought I might as well throw it up here and see what you think. Sorry fo the not so great picture quality....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009 09:59:36 AM »

i like this a lot ... among other things, it reminds me of the song "ultra moderne solitude" by Alain Souchon... basically the title explains itself even without french.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
krafty kate
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009 12:27:55 AM »

Thank you, yeah I suppose that's kind of it. When I first moved away to college I felt seriously lost and I suppose this is what came out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meriweather
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009 01:14:24 PM »

So sorry the school discouraged you. I had a dear friend who almost quit singing-and she has a beautiful voice-due to discouragement from a Singing teacher.
Nothing wrong with sewing, crochet etc, but get out the pencils etc and dip in again. You will enjoy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magic happens
grossholes
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009 05:42:30 PM »

where did you goto school?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I only like pwincesses.
Lukka
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009 02:26:20 AM »

Sorry to hear that art college put you off doing art ... thats what they seem to do a lot though. I did have a teacher who encouraged people to do textiles (I did textile sculpture) but then she was the one the others looked down at since she wasnt doing art, "just" craft. Anyway, if you miss painting you should start again. Theres no one to discourage you any more :-).

PS: Dear art school teachers, check this out and then tell me again that textiles cant be art.
http://www.textilearts.net/directory/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Thats the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isnt good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" (from Calvin&Hobbes)
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009 05:44:26 AM »

a language/literature degree put me off reading for a while, too.  but then my brain/mind recovered and i could enjoy thinking about books again.  so maybe yours will do the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
krafty kate
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009 09:37:05 AM »

Lukka, Yes my textiles teacher was kind of looked down on too. I hate that. Like when you look at the weaving that took place during the bauhaus movement how can one say that it's not art. A lot of painting is based around shapes, direction etc.. I think that weaving is too.
But I have other ways of expressing myself so I'm not totally void of an artistic outlet....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 2/5
How to Extreme Crochet - Granny Squares
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 1/5
Extreme Crochet Ideas
How to Crochet a Small Smiley Flower
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...