A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugh... finally a finished poppet out of me!  (Read 1663 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 21, 2009 05:53:14 PM »

So I have been stalking poppets for quite a long time. I wanted one for soooo long, so I was so excited when Silverwing claimed me for one in the OWS43, and sent me the most gorgeous poppet ever (still my favourite). So I just knew that I had to hop on the poppet bandwagon, so a couple of weeks ago I went out and bought a sewing machine (I had been handsewing everything for a relly long time). So I had the poppet pattern (thanks ghillie!) and the sewing machine sitting around for a couple of weeks without any action... until I bought some weird cheap fabric made of unknown contents to test my skill, and let me tell you I felt like a serial killer with a box full of different poppet body parts, just sitting there. So I took the initiative to go out and get some real fabric but would you believe that I was unable to find alova suede anywhere?!? I got lots of weird looks at all of the fabric stores I went to, so I was stuck with velour, with I was kinda mad about, but now with working with it, I love it. And would you believe that I could not ind safety eyes anywhere in Canada either? Thank goodness for Hobby Lobby and my dad travelling to the States a couple of times a week for business... Anyways, I made a bunch of good poppet bodies, without any heads, but today I thought that I should take the initiative to make the gals some heads before I started anymore bodies. I have some difficulties sewing the head by machine, so I handsew the front part and back part together. Anyways, enough rambling... Here are my poppets (some still in parts... until tomorrow that is).

In a dress I whipped together less than a hour ago...

They all turn out a lot taller than I expected, just more to love I suppose Smiley

A more detailed picture of her hair texture (sorry it is blurry):

And here is the next poppet that I am working on (she just needs a body). She can't decide if she wants to be a fairy or a mermaid (that is why she looks kinda sad), so for now she is a fermaid or a mer-ry.

And here are the next couple of bodies/ poppets I am working on...

I find that I like making the bodies, sewing them, stuffing them and jointing them more than I like to clothe them and give them hair and eyes and such... I dunno why... Also, I personally sometimes find that I like mine more without hair, but some members in my family think that it creepy. And luckily I think that I have enough fabric to get at least 10 more poppets... which is good since I just finished my first year of university (yesterday!) and have nothing to do, so I suppose you can expect a lot more poppets (plus without any distraction but TV I can crank out 2 (nude ones without any clothes or hair) a day.

And here is the link to the Poppet Along: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=205341.0
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009 06:21:07 PM by averyg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009 06:11:15 PM »

Oh wow, you weren't kidding, you have a lot of poppets in the making. I love their faces they look so sad and dreamy. I don't like to make clothes either, probably because it's more painstaking (to me anyway) than making the poppet itself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
averyg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009 06:15:46 PM »

I don't like to make clothes either, probably because it's more painstaking (to me anyway) than making the poppet itself!
No it is completely true though... I think that maybe I will just make a gigantic nudist colony of poppets... or make my mom or sister decorate them.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009 06:47:58 PM »

Very cute - I love the velour - I might have to try one with velour! And I'm kinda the opposite, I don't like putting the body together (the jointing). But I like planning and making the clothes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
kraftingwithkristy
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009 08:00:41 PM »

This makes me want to find where I stuffed mine away and get it finished before my new baby is born in Sept. Smiley You did a great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Malibukasey
If your stomach feels weak then, my work here is done

(::) (::)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009 09:09:08 PM »

I find that my LEAST fave part of Poppeting IS the stuffing, sewing the little seams shut and sewing on the head... I find it time consuming... I used to make Poppets all the time... and this alone is what makes me dread doing it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009 09:21:09 PM »

They are wonderful! I love the mer-fairy's hair.
As a fellow Canadian, I buy all of my alova online (syfabrics on eBay), as well as my safety eyes (various sources).  I received the same strange looks from the ladies at Fabricland when I asked about the elusive Alova.

I have to agree with MalibuKasey and playswithneedles on this one - I HATE the stuffing, jointing and "wound closure" parts.  I LOVE sewing the body pattern pieces, doing the face and making the clothes.  That is the part that gives each fuzzy friend a personality and, to me, is so much fun.  I am working on my 10th (?) poppet now, and I always dread the stuff & joint.  It is always worth it in the end though Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009 09:25:18 PM »

I just love how you did the ear inserts it is so cute. How did you do that? 
Great job and I dont think she is sad she is just thoughtful.

I find that I can machine sew everthing for a poppet during my daughters nap. Then stuff the next 2 days off and on and then the hair takes another day or two. But I love the whole process I think my favorite is the stuffing and completing the face and sewing on the ears. That is when they really come to life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
averyg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009 07:08:56 AM »

I just love how you did the ear inserts it is so cute. How did you do that? 

I just sewed the ear pattern piece as normal, turned it right side out, cut out a piece of felt and placed in on the ear and sewed. That is probably one of the easiest parts that I consider decorating them.

Smiley

Thanks for everyones comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009 10:13:54 AM »

Do you hand sew the felt on or do you machine sew it on. I just love how it looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2 Kickass Ways to Wear Divergent Liner
Meet Our New Korean Beauty Correspondent
How to Change Up Your Concealer and Still Look Good
How to Layer Your Shadows for a Truly Eye-Catching Look
Mascara Moves That Will Make Your Lashes Pop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...