A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How on earth do I make a travel journal?!  (Read 917 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rhiannonbrum
« on: April 21, 2009 10:13:54 AM »

Hi
I'm going to the States for a fortnight this summer, and I want to make a travel journal to take with me. I've had a look around, but nothing gives me exactly what I want.
Anybody got any ideas about a very easy way to make a journal (as in absolute beginner!) that doesn't look like it was made by a beginner?
I don't expect anyone to share prized secrets of their trade and all, but any help will be very gratefully recieved Cheesy
Thank you muchly
Cheesy
xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009 03:40:36 PM »

I'll start this post by saying that I don't make journals, I just have never mastered that skill Cheesy

However, it might help people help you if you narrowed down what you're looking for. For example, would you prefer something bound by stitch or rings or spiral? How many pages do you think you'd like to have, and what would they be made of, plain paper or mixed?

A list of helpful tutorials can be found HERE on craftster.

Some other ideas Smiley
Maybe you could join a swap for a journal (for example the Invite your partner 12 swap)
Alter an existing book (this I can offer advice with Wink)
Simple stapled pamphlet style book
Alter a calendar

I actually did a similar trip last year and posted one of my books (one for tickets and snippets of things) HERE

I hope you find the perfect book for your trip! Smiley

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009 03:46:02 PM by Phizzychick - Reason: to add more info in » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhiannonbrum
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009 04:29:52 AM »

Thank you for advice, its been really helpful Cheesy
Now I just have to put those ideas into practice!
xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
solid_silver_cloud
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010 04:46:32 AM »

Alter an existing book (this I can offer advice with Wink)

Phizzychick, I've looked at some of your journals and they're absolutely beautiful! I'm also going travelling and want to make a visual journal for the first time. i made a log last year after an amazing trip to austria where i wrote exactly what i did every day so i wont forget or get muddled up, but i like the idea of making something really visual that will capture my trip. What advice do you have about altering a book? is it better to buy a new sketchbook?

Any tips would be fantastic Smiley

x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010 05:56:55 AM »

Thank you! Making detailed notes was a great idea so you won't forget all the little memories!

It's a personal choice I think, but I have made travel journals from both plain books and reused old books. If you could find a book that was related to your holiday that might be a nice idea (for example I have a Glastonbury Festival journal which is an altered wild plants book, so lots of nice nature background drawings). Otherwise, a sketchbook or handmade paper book would be great, especially if you have lots of leaflets and tickets and whatnot that you're glueing in that would weigh the pages down.

If you are altering an existing book then you'll want to make sure that the pages are up to taking the paint. Some old books have very thin pages, and won't take kindly to being wet Cheesy

Hope that helps a little? If I can be any more help let me know, or if anyone else has any tips or advise, shout out! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adrienne Vrettos Talks About the Inspiration Behind the Exile of Gigi Lane
Get to Know Bestselling Author Lisa McMann
Jane Healy Talks About Different Learners
Jeannette Walls Unveils Her New Novel Half Broke Horses
T.D. Jakes Talks About the Memory Quilt
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...