A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 304,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Should I buy this Jaguar Serger for $100???  (Read 1864 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2009 11:08:31 AM »

I have been wanting a serger but I don't have a lot of $ to get a good one.  But I just found this serger on my local Craig's list:

"If you always wanted a serger this is the one with the right price 1997 comes with vhs video and manual. model055 "

And is it only $100.  But I can't find any information on the web about this machine.  Is $100 too much for something that is 12 years old?  Does anyone have one of these?  Help me please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
KatieJoy
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009 01:23:12 PM »

Yes the serger is 12 years old... which could be old or not so old in sewing machine years depending on how much the owner used it.  My mom who sews way more than I do managed to keep her first serger for 15+ years... it could have been fixed but she decided to get a new one.  The good news is if there is anything wrong it would probably be fairly serviceable.

Something else you could try (if you haven't already) is asking the seller to set it up for you to test it out before you actually buy it.  (Or you could purchase a could cones of serger thread and ask if you could test it out first.)

Anyway, good luck with you decision... if it works (even if it doesn't) $100 is a great price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gammykatie

I would be unstoppable If I could just get started

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009 05:13:37 PM »

I think I would contact my local sewing machine repair shop and ask their opinion on the reliability of the machine and its track record for reliability...also ask what a "service" would be for that machine, i.e., oil it, check for tension problems, etc. and then decide.  definitely I would want to try it.

If it would end up costing to much to buy this one and have it checked out by a professional, I think I would opt for new, since you can generally get a new machine (Singer) on sale at JoAnn's for about $250.

just my opinion.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

We make a Living by what we get, We make a Life by what we give.  - Winston Churchilll

http://www.wists.com/gammykatie

2010 - 3/XX                     I won't read Blogs!
Karonm1
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009 05:26:45 PM »

Hi I have had one of these for years - my dad sold machines and only sold high quality so I know they are good - makes a beautiful rolled edge - I sold one of my dads old stock a few years back for $350 so it is a good deal - even if you take it in for a tune up - hope this helps -Karon
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009 07:48:19 PM »

Thanks ya'll for all the great suggestions!  I will be calling the local repair shop tomorrow.  I am leaning toward buying it but I am still unsure.  Thanks again for the insight/help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Do A Crown Braid
How to Fix Bad Hair Color
How to Curl Your Hair with a Clipless Curling Iron
How to Repair Damaged Hair Strands
How to Avoid Dry Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...