A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitchen Renovation  (Read 19370 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

joinha
« on: April 20, 2009 10:04:48 AM »

Ok, so my boyfriend and I bought a house several months ago that needed a makeover in several rooms. One major one being the kitchen!! Pink laminate countertops 15-20 year old faucet that was grrooOOoooss, and their nasty stiff dirty curtains the previous home owner left behind. We are young so we don't have the money for a major overhaul so I put my craftiness to the test. I changed all the hardware on the cabinets, painted the counter tops to look like red granite they have in Brasil (my boyfriend is Brasilian and I wanted to bring back crap tons of granite when returning home after Christmas, but obviously not an option). We installed a new over-the-range microwave in place of the hood, and installed a garbage disposal (all of which was on sale thanks to Thanksgiving!!! Then I bought some puck lights on ebay to spice up the under-cabinet appeal, replaced that gunky faucet and made some roman shades to replace those crunchy curtains. Finally finishing it off with little things and some bar stools I found at a local second hand furniture store for $10 a piece! While new cabinets will have to wait til there's more money in the budget at least now I feel clean in there.
After

Lights under cabinets

Counter base coat

Move in day
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009 10:53:20 AM »

Incredible change, and a lot of work.

Rockin'!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mlheran

Jack of all trades

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009 10:56:16 AM »

WOW! What kind of paint and sealer did you use for the countertops? They look fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
amandagossett
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009 11:06:22 AM »

Wow, it looks ten million times better! I've never heard of painting counter tops before but it obviously works well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joinha
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009 11:23:42 AM »

First you lightly sand the counter tops, then I used regular wall paint as a base coat. Then I did sponge painting with acrylic paints til I got the effect I liked. Then seal it with envirotex lite. All less than $50 for paint and supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009 11:31:30 AM »

Wow that looks amazing!!! A little paint can go a long way!! I would love a close up shot of the counters Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
envirocraft
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009 11:52:55 AM »

Wow. That's incredible.  It looks like you spent a lot of money, but no, you were just crafty and resourceful!  The countertops are great! Even changing the hardware on the cupboards made a huge difference!  You're awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts in 2010 27/50 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332114.msg3973417#msg3973417

http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/
joinha
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009 12:32:33 PM »

Here's a pic of the counters in the three stages. First layer of sponging, sponging before sealing, and lastly sealed.
The other pic is a close up and the the third is the pic of the inspiration granite I found on google.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
DreamInStitches
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009 01:54:51 PM »

Wow! You did an amazing job on those counter tops!! My boyfriend and I are approaching the same situation. I'll have to show him this so we can spice up the dull kitchen! Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009 02:11:18 PM »

Wow! Great job. The counters look amazing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Stop-Motion Animation Brick Film
How to Make an Infomercial
How to Light a Green Screen
How to Get Your Film Financed
How to Make an International Ransom Video
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...