A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitchen Renovation  (Read 18723 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

joinha
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009 07:08:58 PM »

Ya know, I would love to have a tutorial of how this counter was done... My sister in law's (deadbeat.jerkface.l oser) ex-husband left her and the kids with this horrid white GLITTER counter, this would be the perfect summer project! I guess I am wondering how many colors you sponged on and in what order! Your kitchen looks sooo amazing, great job!!

Hi, I used light to medium grit sandpaper to lightly sand the countertops to begin with. Wipe down the counters so that they are dust free. I then painted them a base coat of grey valspar paint from Lowe's. Let that dry then sponge on your first layer of paint. I used regular (recently Van Gogh) acrylic paints. For the granite I wanted I used black, yellow ochre, burnt sienna, raw umber, silver, and white. The silver should be used sparingly in a few places not like the other paints which are used all over. It just helps to add a realness look, like the crystal looking pieces in granite. I also did just a few extra wipes of the white for that streaked look because granite isn't perfect that's why it's beautiful. So anyway, I sponged on the colors above in that order then went back over it with the black and burnt sienna just to get the look I wanted. You can do any colors you want just find a granite piece or pic that you like and mimic it. I let each layer of sponging dry before doing the next BUT I did the last black and burnt sienna layer kinda together. I just looked more natural. And in places where it just didn't look right I did a lil more of the other colors again but always finished with the black and burnt sienna. Once all the paint is dry buy Envirotex Lite ( I got mine at Michael's with a 50% off coupon that I printed on-line.) I believe I got the half gallon or gallon size. I did 3 layers of envirotex you have to let it set according to the instructions between each layer which took quite a while. I applied mine with foam brushes and then used a straw to blow out the little bubbles (this is important to do - if you don't remove the bubbles they will remain in the resin and look like crap) you can also use a torch but I don't have one so I used a straw. I got very light headed and I had to get my boyfriend to help me on the last two layers of blowing lol, but it was all worth it. The whole process took about 4-5 days because you have to let the envirotex cure for days before you set anything on it. My major advice is to watch it as it dries for the first like 5 hours because you are going to see dripping on the edges so just use the sponge brush to even it back out. If you don't catch the dripping it dries as streaks and looks bad.

So supply list:
sand paper
base coat paint (I used wall paint)
acrylic paints of your choice
craft sponges
foam brushes (the 4 inch ones are best)
envirotex lite
straw or torch (you can try a hair dryer I found it didn't work that well for me)
painters tape (to protect wall behind backslash)

Hope this helps! Happy new counters. I love mine and you'll love yours too (especially after all the work that goes into them lol)

ANOTHER THING***** Do all your counters at once or it is a lot harder to match them all. Because you get a rhythm going and it makes it easier to keep up with what you are doing and what layer you are on. Also when sponging you want to use different sponges and turn the sponge so you get a different pattern for the different colors cuz you don't want it to look all the same or it looks fake.
GOOD LUCK!!!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009 02:38:46 PM »

Thank you for the tips joinha. I'd love to do this but I think I'm going to have to endure our green laminate for awhile, we have a lot of pet hair floating around and I can see it all getting stuck on the counters.

When I showed my Hubby the photo of your counters his response was "holy s**t!" so I guess that means he's impressed too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tilly12
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009 10:45:18 PM »

wow those countertops are so amazing and creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gemr
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009 06:56:49 AM »

WOw it doesnt even look like the same kitchen!!!
i might post up my kitchen and ask for ideas now!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsy_fartsy
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009 01:24:36 PM »

this is ridiculously beautiful!

My family had water damage in our kitchen from a tropical storm back in September and we have been rebuilding the kitchen on our own ever since. We really wanted to upgrade to granite, but the money just isn't there. I am going to TOTALLY use this instead! it will save us money and look equally as beautiful! Thank you so much for the tutorial and wonderful idea! I really appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemuffler
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009 09:58:00 AM »

i really cannot get over those counter tops!! they are amazing. i think i may actually try this myself Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Imsleepy

Zurich, my service dog

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009 05:27:59 PM »

I absolutely LOVE what you did with this kitchen!  My favorite color is pink, but there's a time and place for it.  Too much, or the wrong shade, and it becomes pepto pink and makes ya gag  Tongue  Even *I* wouldn't be happy with those pink countertops!!  I wish I had known how to do what you did when I lived in the home I owned... my appliances were that icky golden yellow color and the countertops were a buttercup yellow.  I spray painted the appliances white until I could replace them one by one, but always wanted to do something with the countertops.  Not only did you do a fabulous job with the ..envirotex lite?  but the sponging you did looks just so very professional.   It must be a joy to walk into that kitchen in the morning for your first cup of coffee... and to cook.  Especially knowing you did it, and you did it YOUR way! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~If someone offers you a gift, and you decline to accept it, the other person still owns that gift. The same is true of insults and verbal attacks.
~We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart.
~Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.  I'll take cheese over worms!
VenusInFurs
Lady Day

Time may change me, but I can't trace time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2009 02:06:21 PM »

You painted those countertops to look like that?  Good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website...I post tutorials and recipes!
eyeseefaeries
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2009 12:13:00 AM »

You faked granite!!! OMG!  You're like Jesus!  Or... a really cool crafter.  Hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2009 05:58:02 PM »

Holy crap, you did a fantastic job on the counter tops!! The whole room looks really updated and much more comfy, well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Nautical Stripe
Kai Lenny Style Challenge: Kitesurf in a Suit
Kai Lenny Style Challenge: Windsurf in a Suit
Kai Lenny Style Challenge: Stand Up Paddleboarding
Styling the Perfect Holiday Party Look
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...