A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitchen Renovation  (Read 18887 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

joinha
« on: April 20, 2009 10:04:48 AM »

Ok, so my boyfriend and I bought a house several months ago that needed a makeover in several rooms. One major one being the kitchen!! Pink laminate countertops 15-20 year old faucet that was grrooOOoooss, and their nasty stiff dirty curtains the previous home owner left behind. We are young so we don't have the money for a major overhaul so I put my craftiness to the test. I changed all the hardware on the cabinets, painted the counter tops to look like red granite they have in Brasil (my boyfriend is Brasilian and I wanted to bring back crap tons of granite when returning home after Christmas, but obviously not an option). We installed a new over-the-range microwave in place of the hood, and installed a garbage disposal (all of which was on sale thanks to Thanksgiving!!! Then I bought some puck lights on ebay to spice up the under-cabinet appeal, replaced that gunky faucet and made some roman shades to replace those crunchy curtains. Finally finishing it off with little things and some bar stools I found at a local second hand furniture store for $10 a piece! While new cabinets will have to wait til there's more money in the budget at least now I feel clean in there.
After

Lights under cabinets

Counter base coat

Move in day
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009 10:53:20 AM »

Incredible change, and a lot of work.

Rockin'!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mlheran

Jack of all trades

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009 10:56:16 AM »

WOW! What kind of paint and sealer did you use for the countertops? They look fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
amandagossett
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009 11:06:22 AM »

Wow, it looks ten million times better! I've never heard of painting counter tops before but it obviously works well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joinha
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009 11:23:42 AM »

First you lightly sand the counter tops, then I used regular wall paint as a base coat. Then I did sponge painting with acrylic paints til I got the effect I liked. Then seal it with envirotex lite. All less than $50 for paint and supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009 11:31:30 AM »

Wow that looks amazing!!! A little paint can go a long way!! I would love a close up shot of the counters Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
envirocraft
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009 11:52:55 AM »

Wow. That's incredible.  It looks like you spent a lot of money, but no, you were just crafty and resourceful!  The countertops are great! Even changing the hardware on the cupboards made a huge difference!  You're awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts in 2010 27/50 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332114.msg3973417#msg3973417

http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/
joinha
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009 12:32:33 PM »

Here's a pic of the counters in the three stages. First layer of sponging, sponging before sealing, and lastly sealed.
The other pic is a close up and the the third is the pic of the inspiration granite I found on google.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
DreamInStitches
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009 01:54:51 PM »

Wow! You did an amazing job on those counter tops!! My boyfriend and I are approaching the same situation. I'll have to show him this so we can spice up the dull kitchen! Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009 02:11:18 PM »

Wow! Great job. The counters look amazing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009 03:47:44 PM »

Looks great! I especially like the shades.  Were they hard to make?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshyn_stef
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009 04:07:54 PM »

Wow!!  I'm super inspired.  I too am curious about the Roman shades, were they difficult?  Did you have a pattern/instructions?

Anyone know if I could paint my tile countertop?  I know it'll still look like tile, but the color and condition of it currently is quite yicky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.FeetPrints.net ...my crafts, my family, my life

Handmade gifts of Aloha ~ www.AlohaDesigns.ne t
joinha
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009 04:35:23 PM »

The shades were my first attempt ever at a roman shade. I saw some shades I liked at Pottery Barn http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p7394/index.cfm?pkey=ccotton-linen-drapes-shades but was NOT going to spend that much on them. So I went to Joann's and found fabric in the 50% red tag for $2/yd and the red was a some leftover I had lying around that I folded and sewed into a band....and wah-lah. They were quite easy once I found this video too http://www.terrelldesigns.com/howto-videoprof.html 
Hope this helps. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsy_fartsy
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009 07:36:44 PM »

oh my goodness, you are GENIUS! you took a dingy kitchen and made it beautiful! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009 07:46:22 PM »

HOLY WOW! You did a fantastic friggin job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joinha
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009 08:10:42 PM »

oh my goodness, you are GENIUS! you took a dingy kitchen and made it beautiful! Great job!

Thanks so much. I'm still not done. I am currently buying tile to do the backsplash (all the grey area will be tiled).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009 08:52:23 PM »

absolutely amazing job on the counters...thanks for sharing how you did it!  I'm definitely going to try my hand at sponging some countertops in our new place  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009 09:03:04 PM »

I HAD to comment again after you posted the other photos, WOW I am in complete AWE, they look FANTASTIC!!!!! THIS ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Melvinator

It's a miracle!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009 09:37:42 PM »

I saw on HGTV that they painted countertops black... nobody in my family believed you could paint countertops!! These look AMAZING!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009 07:56:53 AM »

I just can't get over your countertops! They look so real, and SO shiny! I know i would have left brushstrokes or something. Almost looks like a resin coating. VERY nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009 08:17:59 AM »

Wow. You never would have thought that you had done was painted the countertops. They look awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009 10:45:48 AM »

I just can't get over your countertops! They look so real, and SO shiny! I know i would have left brushstrokes or something. Almost looks like a resin coating. VERY nice.

Envirotex lite is a resin Wink

Those counters look amazing!  I wish I had seen this when I lived in my old house.  Wonderful job and congrats on being so crafty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snips and snails
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009 10:59:44 AM »

Ya know, I would love to have a tutorial of how this counter was done... My sister in law's (deadbeat.jerkface.l oser) ex-husband left her and the kids with this horrid white GLITTER counter, this would be the perfect summer project! I guess I am wondering how many colors you sponged on and in what order! Your kitchen looks sooo amazing, great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Asheri
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009 12:10:36 PM »

Wow!
You got one dreamy kitchen there, OP!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009 02:24:12 PM »

Envirotex lite is a resin Wink

Those counters look amazing!  I wish I had seen this when I lived in my old house.  Wonderful job and congrats on being so crafty!

*blush* I knew that, of course. hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009 06:32:40 PM »

Okay - so I know you've already gotten a zillion comments on the countertop - but - THAT IS ONE AMAZING COUNTER TOP!!!  I am completely and utterly impressed.  By the way - what were they thinking when they installed pink counters? Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd .etsy.com
joinha
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009 07:00:33 PM »

Okay - so I know you've already gotten a zillion comments on the countertop - but - THAT IS ONE AMAZING COUNTER TOP!!!  I am completely and utterly impressed.  By the way - what were they thinking when they installed pink counters? Shocked

Haha, I don't know. The pink counters made me very sad face though, and I honestly didn't even want to be in there (that and a faucet that you know is gross and doesn't work properly anyway....oh and crusty drapes don't help make you want to cook) or be around for that matter. Now I cook everyday. And the best part is NO ONE has ever not thought they were granite. And when I tell them I painted it they totally freak and do a double take with like their eye ball wide open and ON the counter. LOL

Thanks everyone for your comments. Very much a happy face now  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amyg3
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009 08:23:29 PM »

Awesome renovation!  Just wondering how those gorgeous countertops are going to wear.  Do you have to be extra careful not to scratch it?  Or set anything hot on it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mlheran

Jack of all trades

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009 08:57:08 PM »

First you lightly sand the counter tops, then I used regular wall paint as a base coat. Then I did sponge painting with acrylic paints til I got the effect I liked. Then seal it with envirotex lite. All less than $50 for paint and supplies.

Thank you SO MUCH for the tip about Envirotex -it really finishes everything off nicely! And your faux painting technique is amazing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
joinha
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009 10:02:48 PM »

Awesome renovation!  Just wondering how those gorgeous countertops are going to wear.  Do you have to be extra careful not to scratch it?  Or set anything hot on it?

I actually did the counters back in September and they are holding up really great. (The first pic I posted was taken just a couple of weeks ago.) I never set anything hot on any of my counters even if they were granite...(I was just raised not to do that  Undecided)  and I'm not extremely careful not to scratch them or anything and they still look amazing. I set my toaster and blender and stuff on them and I don't see any noticeable scratches. I obviously don't cut directly on them but again raised not to do that ("That's what a cutting board is for" as my mom would say). I'm sure over time they will collect minute surface scratches (just as my laminate ones had apparently over the past 15 years.) Even if they became scratched I would just do a light coat of more envirotex. Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joinha
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009 07:08:58 PM »

Ya know, I would love to have a tutorial of how this counter was done... My sister in law's (deadbeat.jerkface.l oser) ex-husband left her and the kids with this horrid white GLITTER counter, this would be the perfect summer project! I guess I am wondering how many colors you sponged on and in what order! Your kitchen looks sooo amazing, great job!!

Hi, I used light to medium grit sandpaper to lightly sand the countertops to begin with. Wipe down the counters so that they are dust free. I then painted them a base coat of grey valspar paint from Lowe's. Let that dry then sponge on your first layer of paint. I used regular (recently Van Gogh) acrylic paints. For the granite I wanted I used black, yellow ochre, burnt sienna, raw umber, silver, and white. The silver should be used sparingly in a few places not like the other paints which are used all over. It just helps to add a realness look, like the crystal looking pieces in granite. I also did just a few extra wipes of the white for that streaked look because granite isn't perfect that's why it's beautiful. So anyway, I sponged on the colors above in that order then went back over it with the black and burnt sienna just to get the look I wanted. You can do any colors you want just find a granite piece or pic that you like and mimic it. I let each layer of sponging dry before doing the next BUT I did the last black and burnt sienna layer kinda together. I just looked more natural. And in places where it just didn't look right I did a lil more of the other colors again but always finished with the black and burnt sienna. Once all the paint is dry buy Envirotex Lite ( I got mine at Michael's with a 50% off coupon that I printed on-line.) I believe I got the half gallon or gallon size. I did 3 layers of envirotex you have to let it set according to the instructions between each layer which took quite a while. I applied mine with foam brushes and then used a straw to blow out the little bubbles (this is important to do - if you don't remove the bubbles they will remain in the resin and look like crap) you can also use a torch but I don't have one so I used a straw. I got very light headed and I had to get my boyfriend to help me on the last two layers of blowing lol, but it was all worth it. The whole process took about 4-5 days because you have to let the envirotex cure for days before you set anything on it. My major advice is to watch it as it dries for the first like 5 hours because you are going to see dripping on the edges so just use the sponge brush to even it back out. If you don't catch the dripping it dries as streaks and looks bad.

So supply list:
sand paper
base coat paint (I used wall paint)
acrylic paints of your choice
craft sponges
foam brushes (the 4 inch ones are best)
envirotex lite
straw or torch (you can try a hair dryer I found it didn't work that well for me)
painters tape (to protect wall behind backslash)

Hope this helps! Happy new counters. I love mine and you'll love yours too (especially after all the work that goes into them lol)

ANOTHER THING***** Do all your counters at once or it is a lot harder to match them all. Because you get a rhythm going and it makes it easier to keep up with what you are doing and what layer you are on. Also when sponging you want to use different sponges and turn the sponge so you get a different pattern for the different colors cuz you don't want it to look all the same or it looks fake.
GOOD LUCK!!!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009 02:38:46 PM »

Thank you for the tips joinha. I'd love to do this but I think I'm going to have to endure our green laminate for awhile, we have a lot of pet hair floating around and I can see it all getting stuck on the counters.

When I showed my Hubby the photo of your counters his response was "holy s**t!" so I guess that means he's impressed too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tilly12
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009 10:45:18 PM »

wow those countertops are so amazing and creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gemr
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009 06:56:49 AM »

WOw it doesnt even look like the same kitchen!!!
i might post up my kitchen and ask for ideas now!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsy_fartsy
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009 01:24:36 PM »

this is ridiculously beautiful!

My family had water damage in our kitchen from a tropical storm back in September and we have been rebuilding the kitchen on our own ever since. We really wanted to upgrade to granite, but the money just isn't there. I am going to TOTALLY use this instead! it will save us money and look equally as beautiful! Thank you so much for the tutorial and wonderful idea! I really appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemuffler
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009 09:58:00 AM »

i really cannot get over those counter tops!! they are amazing. i think i may actually try this myself Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Imsleepy

Zurich, my service dog

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009 05:27:59 PM »

I absolutely LOVE what you did with this kitchen!  My favorite color is pink, but there's a time and place for it.  Too much, or the wrong shade, and it becomes pepto pink and makes ya gag  Tongue  Even *I* wouldn't be happy with those pink countertops!!  I wish I had known how to do what you did when I lived in the home I owned... my appliances were that icky golden yellow color and the countertops were a buttercup yellow.  I spray painted the appliances white until I could replace them one by one, but always wanted to do something with the countertops.  Not only did you do a fabulous job with the ..envirotex lite?  but the sponging you did looks just so very professional.   It must be a joy to walk into that kitchen in the morning for your first cup of coffee... and to cook.  Especially knowing you did it, and you did it YOUR way! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~If someone offers you a gift, and you decline to accept it, the other person still owns that gift. The same is true of insults and verbal attacks.
~We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart.
~Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.  I'll take cheese over worms!
VenusInFurs
Lady Day

Time may change me, but I can't trace time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2009 02:06:21 PM »

You painted those countertops to look like that?  Good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website...I post tutorials and recipes!
eyeseefaeries
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2009 12:13:00 AM »

You faked granite!!! OMG!  You're like Jesus!  Or... a really cool crafter.  Hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2009 05:58:02 PM »

Holy crap, you did a fantastic job on the counter tops!! The whole room looks really updated and much more comfy, well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
CraftyAggie
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009 12:49:05 PM »

Wow, you did an amazing job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2009 12:36:01 PM »

OMGosh that is amazing paint skill!  It looks just like the real thing! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shubh
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009 04:01:42 AM »

Interior decoration is all about the concepts and the better use of space. You have done a good job indeed. A corner stand or cornice can be fixed in the corner near the pillar at about 3 and half ft height.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

henri

Good for nuthin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2009 08:41:29 AM »

I'm so incredibly impressed by this.  You did a freaking awesome job.  I'm doing a kitchen renovation right now as well.  We've been wavering on the kitchen countertops.  Granite is out of the budget.   We could do laminate, but if I"m going to spend that kind of money, I might as well go with granite.  Fifty bucks is way more doable.  Plus, if I mess it up, we were going to pull out these countertops anyway, right?   Wink

Thanks so much for the inspiration, I'll be doing this asap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would rather be bitten by a snake than walk thru a spiderweb and not know where the spider is!

My Blog:  http://allthingsshea.blogspot.com/
My Etsy: http://www.sjmercure.etsy.com
On Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/sjmercure
fochaux
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2009 09:05:41 AM »

AMAZING!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
pacman07
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2009 11:30:38 AM »

You did a great job I'm sure your boyfriend will love it. I like the countertops amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holliehood
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010 12:59:43 AM »

holy hell, i can't believe how good that looks!
jdkslajkda i'm speechless
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karanchananamart
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012 03:45:49 AM »

it is a good option but a housewife give a answer for this question.
but i like a u type kichen,its looking good.
karan chanana L
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012 11:05:06 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aikenthomas
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2013 09:54:03 PM »

All these kitchen designs are looking very impressive and I'm impressed by these all superb designs. You did a great job to make your kitchen more attractive and adorable. Thanks for sharing this wonderful designs.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013 03:44:04 AM by MissingWillow » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Hair Replacement for Alopecia - Part 2
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 5
How to Do a Hair Replacement for Alopecia - Part 4
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 1
How to Do a Hair Replacement for Alopecia - Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...