A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Dark Tower...Of Fun!  (Read 3436 times)
Tags for this thread: playhouse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2009 09:30:19 AM »

My husband just finished this play tower. He kinda winged the whole thing, no plans, no help, and very little measuring.

We had been looking into a commercial playset but with five kids, we needed something big and sturdy.
It's cemented into the ground and the slide, ladder, and some of the wood is recycled.
The bottom will become a sand box in June, right now it's just the dog's favorite hangout.

And here's some shots of it in the daylight.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009 09:36:42 AM by Longelegantlegs » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rudi
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009 09:43:47 AM »

I wish I had something like this, when I was a child. Pretty cool! Are you going to paint it or just leave it as it is?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please excuse my bad English.
My Blog
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009 09:57:47 AM »

Not sure...I think we should seal it somehow, but I'm not sure how we're going to do it. Decorating things is not really my strong suit.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009 09:59:30 AM by Longelegantlegs » THIS ROCKS   Logged
wendyloo
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009 09:59:42 AM »

Your hubby did a great job. I hope your kids have years of fun in it!!!
If you don't paint it, you should seal it. Carpenter bees don't like painted or sealed wood as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Martyni
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009 10:00:59 AM »

I am envious of your children. That looks great, if only I'd had one as a kid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009 10:02:09 AM »

You're kids are going to love this.  We had a tree house groing up that my dad built for us.  It was only about 2 1/2 by 4 feet and there were 4 of us!!!  We lived in that thing when my mother didn't ask/lure/demand we get out!  We did have to eat after all!  But we would always just make some "sammiches" and scurry back up, they tasted so much better at that altitude!!!  HAHAHAAA! Have fun!

I would definietly seal it, it will not only protect the wood, but also your kids because the wood won't get so splintery. As far as "decorating" it, Just pick about 6-7 colors (rainbow colors even) and just paint each plank a random color.  Or just paint it white and let your kids go crazy with some cheap brushes and craft paint.  Instant art! The paint will also go a long way in keeping the wood touchable.  My dad painted ours and I think that's why it lasted so long.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009 10:18:21 AM by roccstarr75 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
joinha
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009 10:15:26 AM »

I absolutely love this. I never had a tree house but ALWAYS wanted one. The pergola top is a great idea. You can thread some outdoor fabric through the top to keep the rain out, and if you need help decorating they have great recommendations on google. Look at others you like or just type decorate tree house/ club house. And give your husband a high five! lol Amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009 10:47:22 AM »

I think this is great and it is very steiner-y. They have a theory about kids toys that they should be plain-ish...a blank slate so that the kids can project their imaginations onto the toy. I think this is perfect because the kids can imagine it to be anything. there is more stuff on the theory behind these toys here http://kids-toys.suite101.com/article.cfm/waldorf_toys_and_learning_theory

I dont like the commercial ones so much because they direct how the kids 'see' it. Like if its decorated as a castle, then its hard to imagine that its a pirate ship. As this is it is a blank...but a blank in a very very good way, your hubby should be very proud.

You definitely need to seal/preserve it in some way, it will make it last much much longer, but apart from that I wouldnt paint it any colours or add any decoration. More toy stuff like rope ladders etc might be fun but thats it.

I would have killed for something like this when I was a kid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Capt_Jordi

Beachin it up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009 11:12:36 AM »

I have an idea! Why dont you check into some chalkboard paint? You could at least do it on the inside and then the kids could draw whatever they want and change it daily!

Also are you going to put anything on the roof or just leave it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009 11:45:38 AM »

Thanks everyone, for your comments!
  Grin
For the roof, I saw a pergola that had a UV-resistant netting that hung from one side to the other, weighted by wooden rods sewn into the ends. You could pull either side down a few feet, depending on where the sun was.
I'd like to do something like that; or maybe just let the tree grow over the roof to shade it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair How To: The Beehive
Great Vitamin For Hair, From Dr. Oz
Product Snapshot: Oscar Blandi Pronto Volume and Texture Spray
How to Cut Your Own Bangs
How to Get Sexy Wavy Beach Curls
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...