A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A drawer full of colorful fur. And loads of green paper.  (Read 1058 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MintJeli
« on: April 20, 2009 12:12:57 AM »

I have a drawer full of fur.  It's been suggested I try to make stuffed monsters out of them.  They're mostly fur scraps from someone using them to make costumes, so I have all sorts of colors.  I suppose I could try to make at least a critter or two out of them.  And I could use even more of the fur to stuff them with.

What else could I use it for?

I also have like 500 sheets of green paper and half as many sheets of purple left over from making wedding invites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melyssa_marie
so tacky its classy

tattooeddahlia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009 06:33:04 PM »

sounds like you could make really fun greeting cards. sort of like those childrens feel and learn books. maybe a series of monsters or mythical creatures.

you could make super fun key chains or christmas ornaments if you're into that. fun little extras to send with packages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MintJeli
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009 08:46:00 PM »

Key chains are a really great idea, thanks.  That helps open the door for some other ideas too.

I'm still thinking about the green paper.  It looks like the purple paper that I have is twice as much as the green paper.  The stack is HUGE.  Uh-oh...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009 08:47:04 PM by MintJeli » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MomandDesigner

Graphic goddess, beading for my sanity.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009 05:11:13 AM »

If you cannot find a use for the paper, I know your local grade school would love to have it. Also, probably the fur as well! Not an idea for you to use, but at least it won't go to waste. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scabsitch
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009 06:33:29 PM »

how about a colored, furry wall mosaic? or mural of some sort, like paint by numbers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009 10:07:06 PM »

I know my dogs love chewing up fur. How about making dog toys (cat toys too). If you don't have a pet you can give them as gifts to friends, or the local animal shelter. Get some strong nylon or cotton cord, about 1/8 to 1/2" thick, cut or punch holes, and make a fur string. you could fold the pieces over a couple times, just knot the ends real well, or even tie into a circle.They love the real fur smell. As for the paper, you might want to cover the floor as they, well, might lose themselves with joy!LOL!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

latisslainte
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009 06:52:51 AM »

Not sure how good the stuff looks, but could you sew a colorful patchwork scarf/wrap for the winter with the fur?  It would be warm & cozy on your neck Smiley (NOT that I advocate fur!  But since you already have it...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TallTeenTurtle
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009 08:54:47 PM »

Make slippers? They would be interesting.

If you're into Harry Potter, or have a friend who is, make a Monster Book Of Monsters, or some puffskins.

make origami or papercranes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009 12:21:06 AM »

seriously now... I worked for a fur salon in San francisco,so I remembered these real cool sweaters she had. First, they used a mesh of 1''squares, and cut the fur with a razor blade into long thin strips, 1/4"wide. You only cut the back, just to the depth necessary, so you don't lose too much fur. Then they weave the fur through the mesh, tacking the lengths together to create a longer length. Finally, the fur is fluffed up both front and back, so the sweater is reversable, it does not need a lining. The mesh is crocheted cotton string, and is the most simple kind of pattern....crochet a string, the length of the edge you're making. add 3 stitches, turn. make the first triple crochet a few stitches in, chain 3 stitches, skip 3 stitches, triple crochet into the 4th stitch, and repeat. You are forming even little squares. This works up fast. Continue into the background shape of whatever you are making. Then weave in your fur strips. These sweaters sell for: Rabbit, around $250.00 , Beaver around $2000.00. All you fur activists,,, please forgive me. it was just a sewing job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Tailoring Can Revitalize Your Clothes
Family Friendly Holiday Party Dresses
What Adriana Lima Wants for Christmas
How to Wear Skirts with Boots
Redbook’s Red Hot Holiday Gift Ideas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...