A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are you and what are you doing in my craft room?  (Read 4879 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DarthSqurl
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009 05:24:38 PM »

The boyfriend says that they might be glass insulators/spacers for power lines. We can't find any pictures though. I'd wager a guess that they're electrical-related somehow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, my guinea pig is hairless.
melyssa_marie
so tacky its classy

tattooeddahlia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009 06:30:22 PM »

my first thought was lightening rod bases, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009 07:14:25 PM »

I'm loving that you all think of the electricity idea ... that ties in with the whole science experiment thing i kept picturing when I first saw her pics I knew I wasnt nuts! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GrammaBiskit
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009 08:04:43 PM »

there is no place for wiring to go

That never stop a Craftster before!!! Smiley Wink
I don't think there is anything wrong with having the wire run along the side. I'm sure it will be nice anyway.

I wasn't saying that it couldn't be done, I just don't think that's what they were originally used for.  If I used the rods but could find things that would match the threading I could certainly make them into lamps.

As to them being lightening rod balls, they certainly look a lot like the last one pictured but are a tad smaller and have no writing on them whatsoever.  Also if they are a collection of separate lightening balls it would be surprising that I would end up with 50 of them (25 of each type).

Thanks for all the input so far!  I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with them, so keep the ideas coming!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mini
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009 08:37:12 PM »

Could they be lightening rod balls?

http://www.antiquebottles.com/lightningrod/fame.html

Ooooo... nice! I think we could have a winner!! ding ding!
Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mini
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009 08:47:24 PM »

there is no place for wiring to go

That never stop a Craftster before!!! Smiley Wink
I don't think there is anything wrong with having the wire run along the side. I'm sure it will be nice anyway.

I wasn't saying that it couldn't be done, I just don't think that's what they were originally used for.  If I used the rods but could find things that would match the threading I could certainly make them into lamps.
Ah. Ok, now I see what you were saying.

As to them being lightening rod balls, they certainly look a lot like the last one pictured but are a tad smaller and have no writing on them whatsoever.  Also if they are a collection of separate lightening balls it would be surprising that I would end up with 50 of them (25 of each type).

Thanks for all the input so far!  I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with them, so keep the ideas coming!!!

Wow! 25 of each? I wonder if they all came from a company that closed or something. Do we have any clues from the packaging/box/etc they came in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melyssa_marie
so tacky its classy

tattooeddahlia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009 09:07:23 PM »

they look like they could make super cute bud vases if you could seal off the bottom and/or attach them to a base. especially for something like a wedding or shower, something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pulling_teeth
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009 03:25:18 AM »

Okay, for one I do get you want to know what they are, not what they could be.  Two I have no idea. I do know they aren't for lightning. The lightning would destroy the plastic tube, it melts sand after all.
I don't think they have anything to do with electricity actually. It makes no sense to me. They can not conduct electricity, if you hooked a live wire to those they may some now be broken and leave you with a dead mans cable. Why not cap them off?

I could very well be wrong seeing as how I can't say exactly what it is either, but I don't think it falls under electric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009 04:37:36 AM »

Also if they are a collection of separate lightening balls it would be surprising that I would end up with 50 of them (25 of each type).

Someone was probably working in some place that sold 'em, or that ordered too many of 'em, and took 'em home for "something" when they weren't needed. Much like any other crafter Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
veri
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009 05:18:46 AM »

lamps? Waterpipes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shop for a Swimsuit
How to Choose a Tankini
How to Choose the Correct Swimsuit Size
How to Choose a One-Piece Swimsuit
How to Choose a Monokini
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...