A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 303,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Go For Baroque...did I do something wrong?  (Read 1228 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: April 19, 2009 07:03:13 PM »

Hi! I'm currently working on the Go for Baroque sweater (size large). I've been crocheting for a long time, but only simple projects (mostly scarves), and this is the first time I've ever tried to make clothing with a pattern. I'm using 50g Rowan (4 ply soft shade 397), 100% Merino Wool. I looooove it!

The first section (upper waist panel) seemed to go just great. But then I started doing the right front/shape neck, and I don't know, this just looks weird to me.

Here's the whole thing right now: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10815044@N05/3436289502/

And here's a close-up of the right front/shape neck. I numbered the rows with shell stitches so it's easier to tell where I am: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10815044@N05/3435485589/

The normal pattern is so pretty and delicate, and this right front/shape neck area looks like a sloppy accident. Look at that right edge! Did I misinterpret the pattern? Is this what it's supposed to look like? I can't see where I made a mistake, so if you can figure out what I did wrong, please tell me! I don't want to proceed until I figure it out.

I cross-posted this to the www.knithappens.com community last week, but no replies so far. I'd post this to your general questions forum too, but I don't want to get overly spammish. Smiley

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009 07:33:46 PM »

I haven't made this yet, so I might be totally off base... but I'm going to try.

Looking at your picture [the close up one], if you look... following the right side of the piece... you have dropped what looks like a half shell pattern [you can see at the bottom the half shell, then at the top it goes away]. But I think you're supposed to do that.

From what I can tell is that you're doing the neck shaping. I looked through the pattern and as best as I can tell [short of actually crocheting the sweater myself], is that you're doing it correctly. Remember that you're going to go back later and add a border all the way around the sweater, so that will give it the nice squared off look that the picture in the book has.

Unfortunately she doesn't given a close up of that section of the sweater in any of the photos.

My advice:
If you have followed the pattern correctly, keep going. I think its going to be one of those things that will just come together in the end. I can see why you're dismayed, but I honestly think that when you get the border done, the neck shaping will look totally fine!

Good luck!  Grin
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009 07:34:44 PM by foreversandals » THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009 08:06:50 PM »

Okay, I think I'll just carry on and hope for the best. Thanks for taking a look for me! I really appreciate it. ^_^
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009 06:05:18 PM »

No problem! Let me know how it turns out.

When you finish it and post the finished project, send me a link to the post so I can see it!

I'll try to help again if you need it.

- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fresh Raspberry Puree
How to Make Easter Cake Frosting
How to Make a Cinnamon Brioche Loaf
How to Make Coconut Waffles I Plant-Based
This Brooklyn Ice Cream Shop May Have the Craziest Flavor Ever
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...